locked (WSJTX) WSJT-X Not Working on New Windows 11 Computer #windows11 #install

Stan Galonski <sgalonski1@...>

Dennis,  Problem resolved, up and running. Re-seated all connection (5Xs to remove any possible oxidation) - Signalink, Radio serial port, USB hub and USB to serial adapter.
 I'd like to thank all those the made suggestion and especially Dennis W1UE. 73, StanKK3KK

In a message dated 10/5/2022 2:56:47 AM Pacific Standard Time, egan.dennis88@... writes:
Stan

This is the point where I throw up my hands., have a good sleep, get up
early and get
that first cup of coffee.  I'll then disconnect everything, delete as many
drivers as I can,
get out the manuals, and redo the entire installation.  Don't do it from
memory; start with
the Signallink manual, follow the install instructions step by step.  Do a
few simple tests
to make sure it works.  Then go on to WSJT.  Install it, configure it, and
make sure it
works.  THen add in HRD.

My suspicion is that a step was missed, or didn't install correctly.  By
starting anew and
following the installation instructions step by step, you should find that
missing link.

Dennis W1UE

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 9:17 PM Stan Galonski via groups.io <sgalonski1=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have 12 devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", can't tell
which one is for the signalink, have gone through each one and updated the
driver

In a message dated 10/4/2022 5:09:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
egan.dennis88@... writes:
Did the driver install correctly for the Signallink?  Can you see it in
Device Manager?

UE

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Stan Galonski via groups.io <sgalonski1=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

  1. Wrong sound card selected  -  using Signalink USB - how would I
select
it?
2. Wrong sound card input selected -  set to both set to usb audio codex
3. Input to the sound card not adjusted correctly. -  how is this set?
4. If you have a USB sound card available, try using i-  using Signlink
USB
5. Does your computer have separate jacks for headphones and microphone?
-  Yes

  Like I stated the exact setup was working on my old windows 10
system StanKK3KK
In a message dated 10/4/2022 3:21:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
egan.dennis88@... writes:
Stan
Do any signals show in the waterfall?  If not,
Then either
1. Wrong sound card selected
2. Wrong sound card input selected
3. Input to the sound card not adjusted correctly.
4. If you have a USB sound card available, try using it
5. Does your computer have separate jacks for headphones and microphone?

Dennis W1UE

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 18:08 Stan Galonski via groups.io <sgalonski1=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dennis,
  That's the issue, trying to get it to work with just the rig. Followed
the setup procedure  and no signal decodes? StanKK3KK
In a message dated 10/4/2022 2:52:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
egan.dennis88@... writes:
Stan My best advice- get wsjt-x to work first.  If wsjt doesn’t work,
then
thetwo programs won’t work. Once that works, add in HRD. Dennis W1UE On
Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 17:25 Stan Galonski via groups.io <sgalonski1=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote: > All, My old setup was a Windows 10
desktop,
Signalink usb, Yaesu FTDX5000> and running HRD as the logging program
all
worked well with 1,000's of QSOs> logged. I upgraded my Desktop to a
Dell
Inspiration 3900 running Windows> 11, I can't get WSJT to work, no
stations
show in Band activity or the> Graph, Tune will show 100 watts then drop
35 watts after 5 seconds. I> can Log a dummy QSO and it will show on
the
HDR log.  I have set up WSJT> and HRD per their manual, HDR seems fine
unless I start WSJT first then I> get a "com 3 in use by another
program".>  I am at a total loss on what to do next.>  73, StanKK3KK>>>

Dennis W1UE

Stan

Great news! I know how frustrating it can get.

Now go make some Qs!

Dennis W1UE

egan.dennis88@... writes:
[...]

Michael Black

Older Prolific drivers are here
https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 03:37:36 PM CDT, Peg Daly N3PEG <pegdalypa@...> wrote:

Might not be related to this particular problem, but I found out that a lot of knock-off Prolific chips were used to make various ham radio interface cables.  Prolific recently rewrote their drivers to no longer recognize these knock-off chips.  I found that out when my interface to my IC-7000 no longer worked after my laptop updated from Win10 to Win11 earlier this year.  I ended up buying a new cable with the FTDI chip and it solved the problem.  The other solution is to find the older Prolific driver and install it.  It's hard to find.  Now, all my newer cables have the FTDI chip, but I can still use that older cable with my old Win10 desktop.

Bruce N7XGR

I will second what has been said about those pesky Prolific drivers.
I found this from a posting on the TS2000 group some time back.
Installed this and clicked on Update Driver and proceeded to direct
Windoze to use the 3.2 driver instead. NO BSOD this time!!!
I was about to throw that thing away but now I have a USB to CI-V
adapter working just fine.

Bruce N7XGR

pegdalypa@...> wrote:

Might not be related to this particular problem, but I found out that a
lot of knock-off Prolific chips were used to make various ham radio
interface cables. Prolific recently rewrote their drivers to no longer
recognize these knock-off chips. I found that out when my interface to my
IC-7000 no longer worked after my laptop updated from Win10 to Win11
earlier this year. I ended up buying a new cable with the FTDI chip and it
solved the problem. The other solution is to find the older Prolific
driver and install it. It's hard to find. Now, all my newer cables have
the FTDI chip, but I can still use that older cable with my old Win10
desktop.

Williams, G (af8c) <af8c@...>

I suggest reading the following Windows 11 sound help from a web page that is not involved with this reflector (below). In summary you have to turn off all Windows 11 attempts to fix the sound environment that Windows 11 can process but previous Windows 10, 8, etc. did not have fixes for. You don't want Windows messing with your receive or transmit passband flatness nor messing with echo processing, phasing etc.

https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/20729/wsjt-x-problems-with-windows-11
------------
Also, just this past Friday night I had to "fix" some problems in Windows 10 with WSJT-X. The solution as I found it was in the following series.

1 While looking at Device Manager, open up the "Ports(COM & LPT)"

You should have a COM device for the USB port that has a driver name associated with CPIOx something. That driver comes from Silicon Graphics. You may have to have that driver installed per the Silicon Graphics instructions that must be followed literally. That driver is for establishing a USB port that acts like a COM port. Windows doesn't come that way I would guess. See "caveat" below.

2 With that driver showing, AFTER installing it correctly, and with the device at the other end, in this case the Signalink USB, I presume you can unplug the USB cable while watching "Ports(COM & LPT)" and see the COM port go away. Then plug in the USB cable and watch that COM port come back again. IF it does that, you are ready for step 3.

3 Close Device Manager but go to Windows SETTINGS and find the Windows setting line for "SYSTEM Display Sound Notifications -> Sound". Click on Sound and open that up for picking the Microphone and Speakers settings. You have to tell the Windows microphone and speaker setups to use USB Codec. While you are at it, check that speaking into your microphone excites the test bar. When you have USB codecs in microphone and speaker, then go to step 4.

4 Close Windows SETTINGS and start up WSJT-X, and then set USB Codecs in File->SETTINGS->Audio tab and get back control of the radio to get control of the Signalink audio functions and possibly CAT radio control if you are using that. You can't tell WSJT-X to find USB codecs without doing step 3 first.

Note: With CAT control of the rig, in WSJT-X Settings->Radio tab I had to set Force Control lines RTS HIGH for my TS590SG. I don't know if everyone using CAT will need to do that. I had also screwed up and followed the advice of a YouTube video to leave RTS Low.

CAVEAT: All of the above was for my situation. I can't promise it will fix your situation but I would suggest that you can't skip the steps. While you are at it, if you are in Windows 11, go back to the top of this email and see if you need to do the Windows 11 thing.

--73, Glenn, AF8C

On 10/4/2022 4:47 PM, Stan Galonski via groups.io wrote:
All, My old setup was a Windows 10 desktop, Signalink usb, Yaesu FTDX5000 and running HRD as the logging program all worked well with 1,000's of QSOs logged. I upgraded my Desktop to a Dell Inspiration 3900 running Windows 11, I can't get WSJT to work, no stations show in Band activity or the Graph, Tune will show 100 watts then drop to 35 watts after 5 seconds. I can Log a dummy QSO and it will show on the HDR log.  I have set up WSJT and HRD per their manual, HDR seems fine unless I start WSJT first then I get a "com 3 in use by another program".
 I am at a total loss on what to do next.
 73, StanKK3KK

Reino Talarmo

Note: With CAT control of the rig, in WSJT-X Settings->Radio tab I had to set Force Control lines RTS HIGH for my TS590SG. I don't know if everyone using CAT will need to do that. I had also screwed up and followed the advice of a YouTube video to leave RTS Low.
Hi Glenn,
Thanks for your detailed instructions. I have a comment about TS-590SG. It uses flow control to prevent command collisions. The best use of that functionality is to select in The Radio setting for Handshake either Default or Hardware and not to Force Control Lines, just leave those grayed out. You may want to test that.
The same may apply to other rigs as well, some of those have a menu setting in the rig for selection.
73, Reino OH3mA