locked wsjtx.log & wsjtx_log.adi #adiFiles

Hamish G0GLG

Hi,

I just need some clarification around the 2 files which log the contacts.

From the information I have gleaned from using WSJTX over the last couple of years and reading the manual, my understanding is that the main file wsjtx_log.adi contains all of the QSO information and is the file that is used by the programme to recognise whether a station has been worked previously.
The other file wsjtx.log contains certain log information and I am not sure what it's purpose is, but is not used to confirm previous contacts?

Now I use the wsjtx_log.adi to update my QRZ.com and LOTW log's. As the adi file gets larger it then 1. slows the programme down and 2. creates a very large file for uploading.

If I am correct in the assumption above, it means there is no way in reducing the adi file size without loosing the previously worked station information.

Can someone just let me know if this assumption is correct or not.

73 Hamish G0GLG 

Bill Somerville

On 27/11/2021 09:40, Hamish G0GLG via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

From the information I have gleaned from using WSJTX over the last couple of years and reading the manual, my understanding is that the main file wsjtx_log.adi contains all of the QSO information and is the file that is used by the programme to recognise whether a station has been worked previously.
The other file wsjtx.log contains certain log information and I am not sure what it's purpose is, but is not used to confirm previous contacts?

Now I use the wsjtx_log.adi to update my QRZ.com and LOTW log's. As the adi file gets larger it then 1. slows the programme down and 2. creates a very large file for uploading.

If I am correct in the assumption above, it means there is no way in reducing the adi file size without loosing the previously worked station information.

73 Hamish G0GLG
Hi Hamish,

you are correct that the ADIF format log file is the one read back by WSJT-X on startup to determined what has been worked before. The other file is write only and in CSV format which some find easier to process for various purposes.

What evidence do you have that a large ADIF log file noticeably slows down operation of WSJT-X? The log is your log of contacts, if you were using a dedicated logging program, would you expect to have to delete old contacts to improve performance?

IMHO the best way to manage external QSL services is to use a general Amateur Radio logging application where you can maintain a log of *all* your contacts, not just digi-mode ones. Such an application should have tools to only upload new contacts.

Bill
G4WJS.

Reino Talarmo

Hi,

73 Hamish G0GLG 

Hi Hamish,

Most of that information is correct. The wsjtx.log file is just for an easier human reading and it is not used by the program, only amended. The wsjtx_log.adi do contain worked before information and is needed for correct operation. It does not really slow down program operation as it is read into ram memory at program start. For uploading purposes you may take a copy of it and edit the copy so that you have only those contacts you have not yet uploaded in it, any text editor is fine. On the other hand many logging programs do that for you and upload only those not yet uploaded. Some do it in real time.

73, Reino OH3mA

Martin G0HDB

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Hamish G0GLG wrote:
Hi,

[Snipped]

Hi Hamish, as Bill and Reino have already reported it's the wsjtx_log.adi file that's used by the program to determine the worked-before status, and that even a large log file shouldn't have any impact on system performance.

As for doing partial uploads of your WSJT-X log to QRZ and LoTW, are you using a general-purpose logger that can be updated directly by WSJT-X?  I use Logger32 and every QSO I make using WSJT-X is transferred automagically into the L32 logbook from which I can do selected uploads to wherever.

If you're not using a logging program then an alternative solution for you would be to load your wsjtx_log.adi file into the (free) ADIFMaster utility and then use its (easy-to-use) filtering facilities to 'export' a subset of the WJST-X log to another file that you could then upload to QRZ, LoTW etc.  ADIFMaster is a very nifty app for doing things with ADIF files.

HTH,
--
Martin G0HDB

The only way I can see for a large log file to slow down performance is if you are critically close to filling your PC’s memory.  If Task Manager shows memory usage of more than 85% and heavy disc usage, that means that your applications (and OS) are swapping data continually between RAM and disc, and it’s time to invest in more RAM (or a newer PC). With 8 GB of RAM, I find I am typically using about 60% of RAM.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 27 November 2021 12:36
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] wsjtx.log & wsjtx_log.adi #adiFiles

On 27/11/2021 09:40, Hamish G0GLG via groups.io wrote:

> Hi,

> I just need some clarification around the 2 files which log the contacts.

> From the information I have gleaned from using WSJTX over the last

> couple of years and reading the manual, my understanding is that the

> main file wsjtx_log.adi contains all of the QSO information and is the

> file that is used by the programme to recognise whether a station has

> been worked previously.

> The other file wsjtx.log contains certain log information and I am not

> sure what it's purpose is, but is not used to confirm previous contacts?

> Now I use the wsjtx_log.adi to update my QRZ.com and LOTW log's. As

> the adi file gets larger it then 1. slows the programme down and 2.

> creates a very large file for uploading.

> If I am correct in the assumption above, it means there is no way in

> reducing the adi file size without loosing the previously worked

> station information.

> Can someone just let me know if this assumption is correct or not.

> 73 Hamish G0GLG

Hi Hamish,

you are correct that the ADIF format log file is the one read back by

WSJT-X on startup to determined what has been worked before. The other

file is write only and in CSV format which some find easier to process

for various purposes.

What evidence do you have that a large ADIF log file noticeably slows

down operation of WSJT-X? The log is your log of contacts, if you were

using a dedicated logging program, would you expect to have to delete

old contacts to improve performance?

IMHO the best way to manage external QSL services is to use a general

Amateur Radio logging application where you can maintain a log of *all*

your contacts, not just digi-mode ones. Such an application should have

tools to only upload new contacts.

Bill

G4WJS.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hamish G0GLG

Hi,

Thank you all for the replies and I must make an apology Bill I was incorrect in my statement that it slowed down the programme as I have no evidence of this.
As for the uploading of the adif file due to its size it does slow down the way way in which I carry out this task, which is by using the online logging uploader. As suggested here by some others I will just create a dummy adif file and copy and paste the new files for upload into that.

Thanks again for all replies.

73 all Hamish