locked WSJTX and Yaesu FT-991A - Low receive audio #Windows10 #AudioIssues #windows11

Geoff Clamp

Hi All, wonder if someone can assist with this strange one?

I have two Windows laptops. The newer one is Windows 11 and the older one Windows 10. Both have 8Gb memory, both have 3 to 4 Ghz processors. The Windows 11 one has Solid State Drive whilst the Windows 10 one has traditional HDD.

I have set WSJTX up on both OK but have noticed that on the newer (Windows 11) laptop, I cannot get the received signal higher that about 20-30% on the indicator despite having the windows sound setting (Recording) set to 100 for the USB Audio CODEC.

I have also adjusted the FT-991A menu item 73 (DATA OUT LEVEL) but this doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Not sure if 73 is the right one to regulate the input to WSJTX in D-U mode.

On the older (Windows 10) laptop, I can get 60-70% shown on the indicator whilst having the windows sound setting (Recording) set to only 50 for the USB Audio CODEC.

I also believe I am getting significantly fewer successful decodes on the newer laptop than the older one but cannot quantify this at the moment.

Nyone have any thought?

73

Geoff

Michael Black

From my notes on helping setting up an FT-991 that might help.
Your RF gain will also affect signal level.  But different levels on the two computers for the same settings doesn't make sense.  Is there an AGC checkbox on the Windows Record device perhaps?

29-38400
31-38400
43-4000
62-other
63-2000hz
66-off
67-6db
68-off
69-6db
70-rear
71-rts
72-usb
81-500khz
104-off
105-18db
108-rts
109-usb

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 02:42:37 AM CDT, Geoff Clamp via groups.io <geoff.clamp@...> wrote:

[...]

Keith

Have you tried taking the 991a out of the mix and replace it with a
different sound source? In other words, if you have a small USB sound card
dongle and a separate receiver to provide the audio do you duplicate the
problem? This sounds like a hardware or operating system issue on the
laptop. Just an idea.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022, 3:42 AM Geoff Clamp via groups.io <geoff.clamp=
btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dennis W1UE

Geoff

I had the same issue with a different pair of rigs. I was also using a
laptop sound card for wsjt. Turns out the laptop mike was selected, and
the audio was being picked up by the Mike, resulting in a very low signal
level. Changed the input to the Mike jack and all was well.

Dennis W1UE

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 03:42 Geoff Clamp via groups.io <geoff.clamp=
[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions relating to this issue. I tried some of them but eventually decided to completely uninstall the USB Audio Codec (both COM/LPT and Audio) including driver software.

When I re-installed, I deactivated all the power saving options for USB Audio CODEC and now every thing seems to be working exactly the same on both of my laptops.

Not sure if its just one or both of the actions that did the trick but all good now.

Thanks for the input.

73

Geoff