locked WSJT-X Ver 2.6.0-rc-1 Download #install

Thomas Webb

Tried to install WSJT-X Ver 2.6.0-rc-1, but keep getting a 'nag box' saying I must trust the download. The download goes no further.

Tom, WA9AFM

Mike Koralewski K8VA

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 10:52 PM, Thomas Webb wrote:

Tried to install WSJT-X Ver 2.6.0-rc-1, but keep getting a 'nag box' saying I
must trust the download. The download goes no further.

Tom, WA9AFM
Soooo.. You don't trust the developers and Princeton?
Thats a shame... You are missing out on a great experience. I am using and testing 2.6.0-rc-1 and so far it is a very nice update. Lots of new things, and so far no noticable or objectional problems.
73 Mike K8VA

--
73 Mike 73

Alan G4ZFQ

On 29/06/2022 02:52, Thomas Webb wrote:
Tried to install WSJT-X Ver 2.6.0-rc-1, but keep getting a 'nag box' saying I must trust the download. The download goes no further.
Tom,

This is your computer speaking:-)
Depending on your browser or security program there will be a way to override the warning.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

John, KB2HSH

Sounds exactly like the nonsense I deal with at work. Customer has garbage for a PC and/or doesn't understand how the OS works.

Windows has been around since the mid 80s, more or less. How is it possible that people STILL...STILL...don't understand how it works?!

Alan G4ZFQ

On 29/06/2022 10:24, John, KB2HSH wrote:
Windows has been around since the mid 80s,
If we are talking Windows then Defender has only fairly recently started these warnings with no obvious way of bypassing it. (OK, just two clicks but not immediately obvious.)
I guess some people do not download unrecognised files too often.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Chet, N8RA

Hi Tom,

Yes, the temporary "release candidate" versions do not have all the certificates etc. to assure your computer they are legit and safe, so your computer will halt before downloading and ask you if you still want to proceed. It is good to be warned, however, we have learned to trust the WSJT team; just make sure you are downloading from their site and not some unknown other one.

You did not mention your operating system, but in W10 if you poke around the warning sub-window buttons a bit you will find it possible to "download anyway" . Then when you go to run it you will get another warning, and you must poke around again for something to click that tells your computer it is OK. Finding these choices is buried under mysterious symbols or wording on those screens, and will likely change to other words or symbols on the next upgrade. Oh well..but if you believe they are there to be found, you can find them and then complete the installation.

GL and 73,
Chet, N8RA

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas Webb
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 10:52 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] WSJT-X Ver 2.6.0-rc-1 Download #install

Tom, WA9AFM

Thomas Webb

OS is Win7 Pro. I followed a routine in the download that supposedly tells Win Defender it's OK, but WD doesn't buy it.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 'real' version to hit the streets.

Tom, WA9AFM

Amir K9CHP

Downloaded that version on my win10 laptop. Having had seen the little
safety hurdles many times b4, I knew how to by-pass them and they never
stopped me.

Ran that version in Field Day, 24 hours and did not have any issues! At
least not directly WSJT-X related. The external GPS stopped working so
timing got off, connected to my phone hotspot and got the timing back. Same
GPS worked at home when I checked it again after the event as well as the
first 18 hours of the event. Go figure!

I liked the feature allowing to change modes from the main window among
others.

--

73 de Amir K9CHP

Genesee Region Newfoundland Club
ARRL, Emergency Coordinator (EC)
Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse www.ragsclub.org
Wilderness SAR (ret.) www.wsar.org
Eagle Valley Search Dogs (ret.) www.evdogs.org

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022, 17:00 Thomas Webb <tmwebb@...> wrote:

OS is Win7 Pro. I followed a routine in the download that supposedly
tells Win Defender it's OK, but WD doesn't buy it.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 'real' version to hit the streets.

Tom, WA9AFM