WSJT-X shuts down unexpectedly (Raspberry Pi Raspian OS) #wsjt-x-crashing

S Johnson

I am using Raspberry Pi 4b with Raspian OS. WSJT-X version is 2.4.0 (latest). I am using a XGGCOMMS Digimode-4 interface.

I just removed and re-installed WSJT-X,  I'm using FLRIG for control.  WSJT-X starts normally and I can see decodes happening normally. But the instant I try to make any change that communicates to the radio the program quits - no warning or errors, it just shuts down. Actions which cause shut down include:

  • Try to change bands via WSJTX UI
  • Click in the waterfall to set receive/transmit frequency
  • Try to save configuration settings
  • Try to transmit.
If I just sit there and watch the reception/decoding that all happens normally.
Anyone know what might cause this (I have so much ferrite on my cables that there is a magnetic anomaly at my grid location), so I don't think RFI is an issue.  Also, before this recent remove/re-install of WSJTX the same equipment configuration was working well on transmit).

Bill Somerville

On 10/08/2021 21:00, S Johnson wrote:
[...]

OM,

that sounds like a problem in the Hamlib Flrig back end. Do you know how to use gdb?

Michael Black

You can get some debug like this....

rigctld-wsjtx -m 4 -vvvvv -Z >log.txt 2>&1

Then select Hamlib NET rigctl in WSJT-X.

Send me the debug log.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 03:11:11 PM CDT, S Johnson <cascadianroot@...> wrote:

[...]

One more perhaps helpful piece of troubleshooting data: the exact same configuration of hardware and flrig allows normal use of JS8CALL. That helped ease my mind about possibly the Digimode-4 having an issue.

I will look into using gdb tomorrow.  I’m totally unfamiliar with it at the moment. I’ll also gather the debug log requested by Mike.

Bill Somerville

On 11/08/2021 07:09, S Johnson wrote:
One more perhaps helpful piece of troubleshooting data: the exact same configuration of hardware and flrig allows normal use of JS8CALL. That helped ease my mind about possibly the Digimode-4 having an issue.

I will look into using gdb tomorrow.  I’m totally unfamiliar with it at the moment. I’ll also gather the debug log requested by Mike.

OM,

OK, the trace log Mike asked for will be useful. Using gdb may be a quick way to locate some crash information. You don't need any particular gdb knowledge as all you need is to run WSJT-X under its control and it will tarp and print any fault instruction. Install gdb:

sudo apt install gdb

load and run WSJT under the control of gdb from a terminal:

gdb /usr/local/bin/wsjtx
run

do whatever is required to cause the issue, and report back anything that gets printed to the gdb console.

Type:

quit

to exit gdb and return to the terminal prompt.

Carl Andreasen

Flrig and wsjtx cannot both connect to the radio at the same time. They cannot share the ports. Flrig has control, as soon as wsjtx tries to access the radio (CAT) port. crash!. The bottom line is you cannot use Flrig and wsjtx at the same time.

--
Warren - K7CWA
http://k7cwa.me

Bill Somerville

Carl,

Flrig supports xmlrpc commands, WSJT-X via Hamlib can send xmlrpc commands to Flrig to allow WSJT- to control and query the rig Flrig is configured to access.

So the bottom line is in fact that you can can use Flrig and WSJT-X at the same time, many users do exactly that.

On 11/08/2021 17:58, Carl Andreasen wrote:

[...]

Reino Talarmo

But you can use flrig as a rig in WSJT-X (FLRig FLRig) , In that case flrig controls you rig and WSJT-X controls flrig. I am using flrig mainly for antenna selection in FTdx300. At least in Windows that works for me.

73, Reino OH3mA

S Johnson

I've got gdb installed, but not sure how to run wsjtx inside it:

$ gdb /usr/local/bin/wsjtx
GNU gdb (Raspbian 8.2.1-2) 8.2.1
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
/usr/local/bin/wsjtx: No such file or directory.
(gdb) run
Starting program:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
(gdb) run wsjtx
Starting program:  wsjtx
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
(gdb) wsjtx
Undefined command: "wsjtx".  Try "help".
(gdb)

S Johnson

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Michael Black wrote:
rigctld-wsjtx -m 4 -vvvvv -Z >log.txt 2>&1
Tried this also:

rigctld-wsjtx -m 4 -vvvvv -Z >log.txt 2>&1
Segmentation fault

S Johnson

By "more normally" I mean that it appears I was able to click on a call and respond to it with the radio putting out power. But those errors were present (network.c, iofunc.c, rig.c).

With Radio / Rig set to "flrig flrig" I would never had gotten even that far.

S Johnson

And yes, I use flrig for control so my wsjtx Radio/Rig entry is "flrig flrig".  This has worked for months so I know it is possible.

Even tough I got a "segmentation Fault" when initially setting the Rig to "Hamlib NET rigctl", upon re-starting WSJTX the function seem to be working more normally (still not perfect because I get this error:)

Bill Somerville

On 11/08/2021 23:52, S Johnson wrote:
I've got gdb installed, but not sure how to run wsjtx inside it:

$ gdb /usr/local/bin/wsjtx

OM,

as I said above, at the (gdb) prompt type run.

Michael Black

Please send me the log.txt file.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 05:57:29 PM CDT, S Johnson <cascadianroot@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Michael Black wrote:
rigctld-wsjtx -m 4 -vvvvv -Z >log.txt 2>&1
Tried this also:

rigctld-wsjtx -m 4 -vvvvv -Z >log.txt 2>&1
Segmentation fault

S Johnson

I tried that (part of what I sent earlier):

gdb) run
Starting program:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
(gdb) run wsjtx
Starting program:  wsjtx
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
(gdb) wsjtx
Undefined command: "wsjtx".  Try "help".
(gdb)

Karza

OM,

I've got gdb installed, but not sure how to run wsjtx inside it:
$ gdb /usr/local/bin/wsjtx
<clips>
/usr/local/bin/wsjtx: No such file or directory.

It looks like your wsjtx binary is not in the  /usr/local/bin -directory.

What does command "which wsjtx" tell you?

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

S Johnson

Thanks Karza, I had missed that.  So here is the gdb output. The segmentation fault occurred when I tried to switch bands via WSJTX. Interestingly, the radio successfully switched bands properly, but then WSJTX became unresponsive to further input.

gdb /usr/bin/wsjtx
GNU gdb (Raspbian 8.2.1-2) 8.2.1
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/wsjtx...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/wsjtx
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0xb20d7340 (LWP 3079)]
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
[New Thread 0xabbab340 (LWP 3290)]
[New Thread 0xab083340 (LWP 3305)]
[New Thread 0xa77ed340 (LWP 3426)]
[New Thread 0xa6bb8340 (LWP 3707)]
[New Thread 0x961ff340 (LWP 4072)]
[New Thread 0x957ff340 (LWP 4073)]
[New Thread 0x94dff340 (LWP 4102)]
[New Thread 0x943ff340 (LWP 4131)]
[New Thread 0x93bfe340 (LWP 4132)]
[New Thread 0x93130340 (LWP 4197)]
[Detaching after fork from child process 4204]
[New Thread 0x921ff340 (LWP 4331)]
[Thread 0x961ff340 (LWP 4072) exited]

Thread 8 "QThread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x957ff340 (LWP 4073)]
strlen () at ../sysdeps/arm/armv6/strlen.S:26
26 ../sysdeps/arm/armv6/strlen.S: No such file or directory.

S Johnson

Mike, here is the log.txt file (attached)

Bill Somerville

On 12/08/2021 18:16, S Johnson wrote:
[...]

OK, that's good. So now we can get some information about the crash. Repeat the run under gdb, but this time when it crashes type:

bt

hit ENTER and report back what gets printed please?

S Johnson

New gdb run per Bill's request (bt output at end)

gdb /usr/bin/wsjtx
GNU gdb (Raspbian 8.2.1-2) 8.2.1
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/wsjtx...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/wsjtx
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0xb20d7340 (LWP 7327)]
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
[New Thread 0xabbab340 (LWP 7574)]
[New Thread 0xab083340 (LWP 7600)]
[New Thread 0xa77ed340 (LWP 7629)]
[New Thread 0xa6bb8340 (LWP 7889)]
[New Thread 0x961ff340 (LWP 8264)]
[New Thread 0x959fe340 (LWP 8265)]
[New Thread 0x94dff340 (LWP 8308)]
[New Thread 0x945fe340 (LWP 8341)]
[New Thread 0x93dfd340 (LWP 8343)]
[New Thread 0x93230340 (LWP 8367)]
[Detaching after fork from child process 8375]
[New Thread 0x9236e340 (LWP 8488)]
[Thread 0x961ff340 (LWP 8264) exited]

Thread 8 "QThread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x959fe340 (LWP 8265)]
strlen () at ../sysdeps/arm/armv6/strlen.S:26
26 ../sysdeps/arm/armv6/strlen.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb54e2830 in strlen () at ../sysdeps/arm/armv6/strlen.S:26
#1  0xb54e2558 in __GI___strdup (s=0x0) at strdup.c:41
#2  0x002b34e0 in  ()
(gdb)