WSJT-X and OmniRig stopped working after CPU/memory upgrade #Cat_RigControl

Klaus

Hi all,
maybe someone here has encountered a similar problem and can point me towards a solution.

I had WSJT-X 2.3 64 Bit together with some other HAM software (HRD, HDSDR etc.) running perfectly on my PC.

For CAT control I'm using OmniRig together with the MicroHAM USB Interface III.
Everything was ok. The PC was/is running Windows 8.1 because on that machine I don't want the permanent forced updates of Windows 10.
CPU was an Intel Q9550 Core 2 with 4 GBytes of memory - the maximum limit of the motherboard.

But the PC sometimes was a little slow and since I want to do some HAM related software development on the machine too, I decided to do a hardware upgrade to get some more horse powers under the hood.

Last week I changed to a Gigabyte  GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard with an Intel Core i7 3770k quad core processor and 16 GBytes of RAM.
The in-place-upgrade went flawlessly. After the first start all hardware was recognized by Windows. Current drivers were installed and all installed programs were running fine and fast.

All, EXCEPT WSJT-X 2.3 64 Bit running together with OmniRig for CAT control.
Whatever I do, when starting WSJT-X it comes up with the CAT error dialog and if I click on details, it says:

"Failed to start OmniRig COM server"

WSJT-X itself is running fine and decoding. But useless without CAT.

No matter what I try, it won't work. I upgraded WSJT-X to the current version 2.3.1, uninstalled OmniRig and reinstalled.
No way.

What I find really strange: WSJT-X is the ONLY program refusing to work with OmniRig. All other programs don't have a problem. CAT configuration itself hasn't changed. The (virtual) COM ports are the same as before the upgrade.

So what's the difference "in the eyes" of WSJT-X? More memory (16 instead 4 GBytes), higher processor speed, 8 logical processor cores instead 4.

Nothing uncommon and probably found on millions of other PCs running.

Anybody here has got an idea?

TIA

Klaus / DF6NP

Klaus

I know here the topic has been discussed before - but without a real solution.
One issue that has been identified, was one of the programs running with elevated rights or in administrator mode.

This isn't the case here. WSJT-X and OmniRig both are running in standard user mode.

73s
Klaus

Dave Garber

you mention that HRD is working still, with cat control,  so why not tell wsjt to direct to hrd for that same control instead of omnirig.   you did not mention which rig..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 3:15 AM Klaus <k.schroedl@...> wrote:

[...]

thank you for answering.

Sorry, I forgot: The Rig is a TS-950SDX connected to the PC via a virtual COM port 5 using a MicroHam USB Interface III.
In parallel to WSJT-X I am using HDSDR for an IF based waterfall diagram and monitoring. The SDR used for this is a SDRPlay RSP2 which is connected to the 8,83 MHz IF out of the TS-950SDX.

HDSDR also supports OmniRig which allows multiple software programs accessing a Rig. The connection from HDR (which unfortunately doesn't support OmniRig)  to the Kenwood is done via HDSDR which offers  a virtual COM port configured to COM 10 (together with a virtual COM cable configured as a connector between COM10 and COM11), so that HDR can connect to the TS950 via COM11 -> Virtual cable COM 10 -> HDSDR -> OmniRig -> TS-950SDX.

This may sound a little weird or complicated. But before the hardware upgrade it worked flawlessly and I don't see another way to get the desired configuration running.

On the other hand I don't see a reason why this well tried and proven setup shouldn't work just because of changed  and even better hardware.
And the show stopping issue definitely is WSJT-X with itÄs error message coming up.

vy 73
Klaus / DF6NP

Joe Subich, W4TV

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 3:15 AM Klaus <k.schroedl@gmail.com
<mailto:k.schroedl@gmail.com>> wrote:

Whatever I do, when starting WSJT-X it comes up with the CAT error dialog and if I click on details, it says:
"Failed to start OmniRig COM server"
WSJT-X itself is running fine and decoding. But useless without CAT.
Sounds like Onmi-Rig did not migrate correctly. Download a new copy
from <http://dxatlas.com/omnirig/> and reinstall it. Make sure it
is also configured to run at user level and not administrator.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

Bill Somerville

On 01/05/2021 12:18, Klaus wrote:

[...]

Hi Klaus,

which version of Omin-Rig are you using?

What happens if you click "Retry" when the error pops up in WSJT-X?

Karl Beckman

KLAUS -
The error message definitely sounds like a driver compatibility issue involving the COM server function within OmniRig. Since WSJT-X is required, and is written to run under Windows 10 OS, you have to resolve the conflict on the OmniRig side.
1)  Is your version of OmniRig the most recent, and tested to be fully compatible with Windows 10
2)  You stated that "The in-place-upgrade went flawlessly. After the first start all hardware was recognized by Windows. Current drivers were installed and all installed programs were running fine and fast.".
How do you know that all the drivers you loaded after the MB change are both current and correct?  You cannot trust Microsoft's file selection for this point.  In particular, if you are using a USB to RS232 serial adaptor cable, you MUST lioad the exact driver file provided by that device's supplier.  MS too often installs a newer version that is not exactly matched to your hardware, and counterfeit chips are being used by some suppliers to build cheaper imitation cables.
3)  You did not mention what radio you are using that is apparently not suported by WSJT-X'S built-in direct CAT functions.  If your radio IS listed as having CAT support by WSJT-X, try using their CAT, even if it is not otherwise compatible in some ways with the MicroHam interface that you use for other operating modes in your station.
4)  I do understand that you want to stay with Windows 8.1 OS in order to avoid the Windows 10 OS updates periodically offered by Microsoft. This decision has significant long term negative impact, since nobody is still writing software for Windows OS8 or 8.1 and relying on forward compatibility is a high risk to your investment in the new motherboard.  It is probably wiser for you to install Win 10 and simply disable the automatic OS update process.  Then your station and computer will simply be frozen in time.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

William Smith

A couple of things to note, and please understand I'm not being snarky, I get what you are saying and why you are doing it, but I do have to point out:

Windows 8.1 support ended Jan 9, 2018, well over 3 years ago. Yeah, it's different, but upgrade to Windows 10.

I would have described changing the motherboard as a Hail Mary, and while I'm glad (for you) that it worked, I'm astounded that you didn't have more problems.

You may have already done this, but I'd check with Device Manager to see if any of your hardware devices need driver updates, or if there are any hardware driver updates available for your motherboard, as there's probably some kind of hardware or resource conflict buried deep inside Windows.

Virtual COM ports will apparently depend on the hardware drivers for the physical COM ports? Not sure I understand the details, but I ran across weird stuff like:

/*
However, there is a known Windows issue that affects most applications. The virtual COM port will be removed from the device manager when the USB cable is unplugged, even if an application has the virtual COM port open. The virtual COM port will not be accessible even after the virtual serial device is reconnected unless the virtual COM port is released by the application prior to the reconnection, which may require closing the application first. It is therefore recommended that the application be closed before the USB device is unplugged.
*/

Just because it helps ,ysterious problems more often than not, try a 'full power' restart:
Power off.
Unplug the power cord
Press the power button for 10 seconds
Plug the power cord back in.
Power up and see if that makes any difference.

One other SWAG: Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.1?

Good luck, and please tell us how it works out!

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 1, 2021, at 7:18 AM, Klaus <k.schroedl@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Kai-KE4PT

Hi Willie,
I'm still using Windows 8.1 (64 bit), and getting updates regularly, especially the Microsoft antivirus updates. I cannot switch to W10, yet because then I would lose the ability to run many programs for which there is no current Win10 solution.
All of WSJT-X seems to work just fine for me under Win 8.1-64bit.
I can even run old DOS programs using the DOSBox DOS emulator under W8.1 because sometimes it is necessary to recover ancient work.

Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 5/2/2021 14:15, William Smith wrote:
Windows 8.1 support ended Jan 9, 2018, well over 3 years ago. Yeah, it's different, but upgrade to Windows 10.

Klaus

Thank you for your suggestions, Willie & Karl
My Windows 8.1 still receives Updates (have the Pro version) and extended support will last until January 2023.
Disabling the Windows Update Service in Windows 10 on the one hand blocks unwanted major upgrades. But on the other hand it also prevents security and anti virus Defender updates which I still get for Windows 8.1
In two years, I admit, things will look different.

It's Windows 8.1 64 bits, otherwise the memory upgrade to 16 GBytes RAM wouldn't have made any sense.

Forgot to say that in terms of IT I'm a kind of pro and software developer, too. Have been managing servers, network and our own software for aircraft deicing and towing at the Munich Airport (and some others) for years.
So a motherboard change is not that big challenge ;-)
And if it should fail - I have a backup I made right before.

In the device manager all virtual COM ports showing as "Eltima Virtual COM ports" are present and working perfectly. The drivers are the latest version from the Eltima web site for Windows 8.1 and 10 and fit the hardware used in my MicroHam USB Interfaces III.

The problem is: All software accessing the COM port/rigs directly is working perfectly, i.e. HRD making a connection to my TS-950SDX via COM5.
And WSJT-X using the direct hardware connection via COM5 is working, too.

Also other software as HDSDR accessing the rig via OmniRig is working, too.
Only WSJT-X trying to to connect via OmniRig is causing problems.

vy 73

Klaus / DF6NP

John H. Long Jr.

Have you got them talking to each other?