locked What's with the "R" ? #TechnicalHelpQuestion

Bill, WB6JJJ

This has happened to me a couple of times now where I am calling a station
and the responder has that additional "R" between their call and grid.

It causes the program to think the QSO is done and displays the Log QSO
screen before any information can be exchanged.

Is this something new and intentional?

Bill

WB6JJJ

222845 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ CN85

222900 10 0.3 1456 ~ WB6JJJ VE6SPE R DO15

222915 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ RR73

Dave Garber

Perhaps the other station used R as to show remote?

sent by ve3wej on lg phone

On Fri., Jul. 1, 2022, 7:56 p.m. Bill, WB6JJJ, <bill@...> wrote:

This has happened to me a couple of times now where I am calling a station
and the responder has that additional "R" between their call and grid.

It causes the program to think the QSO is done and displays the Log QSO
screen before any information can be exchanged.

Is this something new and intentional?

Bill

WB6JJJ

222845 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ CN85

222900 10 0.3 1456 ~ WB6JJJ VE6SPE R DO15

222915 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ RR73

Edward Seeliger

The "R" appears when the other station is using Contest Mode CM in NA VHF contest mode - Advanced tab.
Many 6M rover stations prefer CM in addition to using it in VHF contests.
Edd - KD5M

Tyler Stewart

That’s a normal contest mode response.  It’s a short-cut to expedite the QSOs.
Ty K3MM

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Friday, July 1, 2022, 9:30 PM, Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:

Perhaps the other station used R as to show remote?

sent by ve3wej on lg phone

On Fri., Jul. 1, 2022, 7:56 p.m. Bill, WB6JJJ, <bill@...> wrote:

This has happened to me a couple of times now where I am calling a station
and the responder has that additional "R" between their call and grid.

It causes the program to think the QSO is done and displays the Log QSO
screen before any information can be exchanged.

Is this something new and intentional?

Bill

WB6JJJ

222845 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ CN85

222900 10 0.3 1456 ~ WB6JJJ VE6SPE R DO15

222915 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ RR73

WB5JJJ - George

GM Bill.
Many folks on 6m are grid chasers. All they are looking for is the grid, so they use the NA VHF contest mode (CM), which does cause some confusion on .313. Many times, very popular (needed for FFMA) grid activations move to other 6m frequencies to avoid this when the band is crowded. A signal report is assumed to be 59 or 599 as is given automatically most of the time, except for CW, to speed contacts. This can double the contact counts for those rovers and folks needing that "rare grid" during the same time frame. A win-win for them, but some confusion for others.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

chas cartmel

On any band I am collecting grids.
Many stations respond to my CQ with a report and consequently I ignore them initially. If they persist I modify Tx1 to ask for a grid and only on one occasion out of possibly hundreds has a station then come back to me with a standard response. Some countries are worse than others (Italy and Russia(who I ignore anyway)).

If a station is too tight for time to not send their grid, but send the report 4 or 5 times then the time saving is lost.

73 Charlie
G4EST
www.g4est.me.uk
Stay safe out there

[...]

NA Field Day was last weekend.

On Saturday, July 2, 2022, 1:22 PM, Darl DEEDS <na8w@...> wrote:

[...]

Reino Talarmo

Hi Bill,

As presented in User Guide 7.4. Contest Messages both NA VHF Contest and WW Digi Contest (HF) exchange only grid and use that message. The latter ends with RR73, no 73.

73, Reino OH3mA

That’s a normal contest mode response. It’s a short-cut to expedite the QSOs.
Ty K3MM

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Friday, July 1, 2022, 9:30 PM, Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:

Perhaps the other station used R as to show remote?

sent by ve3wej on lg phone

On Fri., Jul. 1, 2022, 7:56 p.m. Bill, WB6JJJ, <bill@...> wrote:

This has happened to me a couple of times now where I am calling a
station and the responder has that additional "R" between their call and grid.

It causes the program to think the QSO is done and displays the Log
QSO screen before any information can be exchanged.

Is this something new and intentional?

Bill

WB6JJJ

222845 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ CN85

222900 10 0.3 1456 ~ WB6JJJ VE6SPE R DO15

222915 Tx 1707 ~ VE6SPE WB6JJJ RR73

Jim Brown

On 7/2/2022 10:18 AM, Bill, WB6JJJ wrote:
Others have mentioned that it is a VHF contest mode to gather grids only.
I understand that now, but this was on the HF bands and not in a contest.
Guys expedition to rare grids on VHF, and use Contest Mode to speed up contacts. The convention is for expeditioners to use VHF Contest mode and transmit first/even sequence. Expeditions are announced and coordinated on the VHF Slack group, and on Ping Jockey.

73, Jim K9YC