Topics

locked sticky V2.2.2 staggered decoding

Jim Bennett

Hi - been away from WSJT-X for a while. Just installed v2.2.2 on my MacBook Pro, running OSX Catalina 10.15.6. I’m using an Elecraft KX2. I am seeing something very different on the decode process than what I had seen on previous versions - several months ago.

When on FT8, the progress bar goes across almost to completion, and a bunch of decoded signals display in the left panel. Then, the decode button turns off, then back on and several (usually 2-3) more signals are shown in the last panel. The older version didn’t do that - when it was done decoding, it was done, period.

Where this causes an issue is when that left panel is almost full at decode time. Just as I’m about to double click on a station to call, those last few lines pop up on the screen, moving the one I was going to call up a few lines.

Do I have something set incorrectly in the preferences that causes this?

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

Jim,

The decode algorithm changed in a recent release. The easiest decodes are displayed at about 11 s into the cycle to give you more time. Then two further decodes are presented.

To avoid the situation you are seeing, in Files->Settings, General tab, Display section. Check “Start new period decodes at top”.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Reino Talarmo

Edited

Hi Jim,

Welcome back! User Guide v2.2. provides information for you:

FT8: Decoding is now spread over three intervals. The first starts 11.8 s into an Rx sequence and typically yields around 85% of the possible decodes, so you see most decodes much earlier than before. A second processing step starts at 13.5 s, and the final one at 14.7 s. Overall decoding yield on crowded bands is improved by 10% or more. Systems with receive latency greater than 0.2 s will see smaller improvements, but will still see many decodes earlier than before.

You may under General Display section tick 'Start new period decodes at top' to prevent that movement. There is a known minor issue with that, as over time, when a certain number of decodes are presented in the Band activity pane, the Band activity will show only a blank screen. You may prevent is by Erasing the Band activity display now and then.

73, Reino OH3mA