Topics

Uncertainty about what DX station is using #FoxAndHound

John, K9MM

Occasionally, a DX station will show up using FT-8 on a non-standard frequency, and the question then becomes "Is he using F/H mode or standard mode"? That situation popped up yesterday when EP2LSH was on 14095 and not using F/H at the same time that C92RU was also operating in that segment.

It took me a few minutes of watching what was going on to convince me that EP2LSH was not using F/H. But afterwards, I was wondering if there is anything in the WSJT-X program which would have prevented me from working him if I was using F/H mode as Hound (assuming that he was transmitting even since I would be forced to transmit odd)? When a rare station pops up, pileups grow quickly, so time if of the essence.

73,

John, K9MM

Jim Spears

Assuming one can "see" the calling and working stations, watching to see if the DX is TX down around 300 - 500 Hz, the calling stations above 1000 Hz (except for those not knowing how to use F/H) then if the calling stations suddenly move their TX to or near the DX TX frequency to complete the exchange then one can assume the DX is using F/H.  I have not seen any other objective way to determine if or if not F/H is in use.

Jim
N1NK

neil_zampella

The others are:  that you're not on a 'normal' FT8/FT4 frequency for that band; WSJT-X locks them out.    And that you'll only see the HOUND stations replying on the ODDs only, and the FOX only calling CQ and giving responses on the EVEN.