locked Ubuntu 20.04 WSJTX 2.5.4 #linux

Stephanie WX3K

Greetings,

Currently running WSJTX 2.1.2 on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine....

I would like to install WSJTX 2.5.4 but I have seen a number of issues with libraries and such. my first attempt at installing it on 20.04 was fraught with multiple issues. I backed out and reinstalled 2.1.2 and that works again.

I am basic linux user at this point. Command line is familiar to me. I have installed packages manually for others with some challenges.

What would be nice is the current release of WSJTX. 2.5.4, appears in as an update in Synaptic Software Manager on my machine and installs all the correct libraries, etc.

Is this possible at this point ?

I am not adverse to following a well put together set of instructions that works for 2.5.4 on Ubunut 20.04, which is basically how I installed it before.

Stephanie

Rick Abbott

Hi Stephanie,

I have been running WSJTX 2.5.4 on Ubuntu 20.04 since mid January this year. I had no trouble installing it. If you go to Show Applications, then look for Software (the icon looks like a briefcase). Run that and choose Explore then type in wsjt you should see the install package for 2.5.4. That is what I used. Maybe try installing from there.

I did have much trouble getting to run with a Rigblaster DUO. I wrote an article on it so others would not have to go thru the pain:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2472221&p=14082534#post14082534

Hope that helps.

Rick/WX9M

--
Thanks,

Rick

Stephanie WX3K

Hi Rick

In applications, I explored for wsjt. It is listed but only as the 2.1.2 repack that I currently have installed. It appears that is not getting updated for me. Not sure why

Stephanie WX3K

Within the Synaptic Package Manager, there are many source tabs to configure. I currently have only the Ubuntu Software tab check boxed.

I get the impression I need to select OTHER sources in order to get my apps updated, especially WSJTX

There is the "Other Software", "Updates", "Authentication", "Additional Drivers", "Developer Options" and "Livepatch" tabs and nothing else is check boxed.

I assume this may be the reason I am not getting updated apps.

WHERE are the updated WSJTX packages sourced from ? Which repository ?

Gwen

Hey Stephanie,
The reason that you aren't getting updated apps is because the software center and repositories only post software validated and verified by Canonical.

Go to Joe's Website at physics.princeton,edu and follow the manual for uploading the latest Linux version via the Terminal.
You have the option there of uploading either the latest or any of the past 1/2 dozen versions ... and those should work.

Gwen
KI5PXQ

On 8/14/22 09:28, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
Within the Synaptic Package Manager, there are many source tabs to configure. I currently have only the Ubuntu Software tab check boxed.

I get the impression I need to select OTHER sources in order to get my apps updated, especially WSJTX

There is the "Other Software", "Updates", "Authentication", "Additional Drivers", "Developer Options" and "Livepatch" tabs and nothing else is check boxed.

I assume this may be the reason I am not getting updated apps.

WHERE are the updated WSJTX packages sourced from ? Which repository ?

R Gape

Stephanie,

Big Sigh. Once upon a time, Ubuntu only supported Debian packages, which you & I often installed through Synaptic, and all was crystal clear, sweetness & light. And then folk started thinking that packaging up non-mainstream software in all-in-one packages made sense, to avoid dependency hell. And thus *snaps*, *Flatpaks* and *AppImages* were born.

What Rick was suggesting was going to the *Software centre*. Under Ubuntu 18.04 the software centre (which may be shown as either *Software* or *Software Centre*) offers classic Debian packages, Snaps & Flatpaks. [Under 18.04 a WSJT-X Flatpak is available, as well as a Debian package at an earlier version.] In 20.04 and 22.04 things have changed and a vanilla install offers Ubuntu Software which only supports Debian packages and Snaps. [It is possible to amend this to support Flatpaks, should one wish to. One way is given at https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu.] With 22.04, *Ubuntu Software* offers a Debian package of WSJT-X 2.5.4, but it is not clear that this will be kept up-to-date.

Snaps & Flatpaks can be administered from the command line. But, a simple route may be via the *Snap* and *Flathub* stores. [ https://snapcraft.io/store and https://flathub.org/home] There is a Flatpak of WSJT-X 2.5.4 which is probably the most reliable route to an install that is kept up-to-date.

HTH, 73, Stay Safe,

Robin, G8DQX

P.S. Discussions as to the relative merits of Debian packages, Snaps, Flatpaks, and Appimages is best left to another time and place.

On 14/08/2022 16:28, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
Within the Synaptic Package Manager, there are many source tabs to configure. I currently have only the Ubuntu Software tab check boxed.

I get the impression I need to select OTHER sources in order to get my apps updated, especially WSJTX

There is the "Other Software", "Updates", "Authentication", "Additional Drivers", "Developer Options" and "Livepatch" tabs and nothing else is check boxed.

I assume this may be the reason I am not getting updated apps.

WHERE are the updated WSJTX packages sourced from ? Which repository ?

Jim Shorney

This is exactly why I prefer to compile from the source tarball. It's easy once you have all the dependencies installed and provided you can read and follow instructions to the letter. I'm currently running 2.6.0-rc2 in Kubuntu 18.04.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 01:00:25 +0100
"R Gape" <list@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Dawson

Of course, the option of using a tarball, or building from source (which is distribution independent) has always been available . . .

On August 14, 2022 7:00:25 PM CDT, R Gape <list@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Robin!

I did not know that history. When my Software app finds the wsjtx 2.5.4 package it shows a source of Flathub.

I also seem to remember having to enable some additional repositories. I don't recall if that was for finding wsjtx or other ham software though. But I have the following enabled:

multiverse-universe-etc-01-repo-list

Rick/WX9M

On 8/14/22 7:00 PM, R Gape wrote:
[...]

Sorry my screenshot did not come through - my selected repositories are main, universe, restricted and multiverse...rick

On 8/14/22 7:00 PM, R Gape wrote:
[...]

Jeff Stillinger

Greetings Stephanie,

Here is a simple script that will install all of the dependencies for several software packages.   Allowing you to both operate the software and build it from source.    Totally automatic for you.

Here is the download link as well.  Select your flavor of Linux.

http://kb6ibb-15.ham-radio-op.net/Ham-Radio/HamRadioBuild/

#!/bin/bash
# 23 Jan 2022 @ KB6IBB Laboratories
#
# Script designed to install a ham radio build environment within the
# Ubuntu Linux O.S.
#
# Set the scripts file permissions to 0755 and run this script by using
# the command:  sudo ./HamBuild-Ubuntu.sh
#
# Individual commands are listed to make it easy on those new to Linux.
# I have no doubt someone will want to "fix" something that works. Please
# do not contact me with your modifications to this script.
#
# This script is free to use and comes without any warranty or support.
# Please do not email me with questions.
#
# Once the script has completed without error, you may download the
# source tar balls and begin building software according to the
# instructions provided with the software.
# BEGIN SCRIPT #
################
#
# Install the software packages required to build software and kernel
# modules.
#
apt update
apt -y install build-essential dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
apt -y install gcc g++
# Install Hamlib, everything depends upon it.  Assumes that you are
# subscribed to a repository that contains hamlib.  If not, builds will
# fail until hamlib is installed.  See documentation to add the proper
# repositories for your particular derivative of Debian Linux. The Amateur
# Radio repository on a true Debian system is configured at install
# time when an online mirror is selected.
apt -y install libhamlib2 libhamlib-dev
# Uncomment to Install the SDR Meta-package  Gives complete support for
# SDR receivers, including applications on a true Debian system.
# apt -y install hamradio-sdr
# Install WSJT-X Build Dependencies.
apt -y install gfortran

apt -y install cmake

apt -y install git

apt -y install asciidoc

apt -y install asciidoctor

apt -y install texinfo

apt -y install libqt5multimedia5 qtmultimedia5-dev

apt -y install libqt5serialport5 libqt5serialport5-dev

apt -y install qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools

apt -y install libboost-all-dev

apt -y install libfftw3-3 libfftw3-dev

apt -y install libreadline8 libreadline-dev

apt -y install libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

apt -y install libudev1 libudev-dev

apt -y install libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev

apt -y install libqt5multimedia5-plugins

#############################################################################
# Install W1HKJ (FLDigi, etc...) Build Dependencies.
#############################################################################
apt -y install libfltk1.3-dev

apt -y install libsamplerate0-dev

apt -y install libpng-dev

apt -y install libxft-dev

apt -y install libsndfile1-dev

apt -y install libpulse0 libpulse-dev

#############################################################################
# Install TQSL Build Dependencies
# Assuming you got the source code from the ARRL.
# http://www.arrl.org/tqsl-download
#############################################################################
apt -y install libssl-dev

apt -y install libexpat1-dev

apt -y install liblmdb-dev

apt -y install libdb5.3-dev

apt -y install zlib1g-dev

apt -y install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

apt -y install libcurl4-gnutls-dev
# Install CQRLog Dependencies.   This installs everything needed to build
# a complete CQRLog configuration.  It is assumed you have installed
# a sql database server according to CQRLog instructions.

apt -y install lazarus

apt -y install libcanberra-gtk3-dev

apt -y install libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev

apt -y install libtiff5-dev

apt -y install libgif-dev

echo "End of Script"
#################
# End of Script #
#################

On Saturday 8/13/2022 12:22, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
[...]

Jeff Stillinger, KB6IBB
KB6IBB Laboratories, Wylie Texas
http://kb6ibb-15.ham-radio-op.net/Ham-Radio/

Kenneth Williams

I just want to pipe in and say thanks for the script.
I know the pain of identifying and installing the correct packages for
building a new application and script like this can save even an
experienced person quite a bit of headache.

Ken
KC6PUQ

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 7:57 AM Jeff Stillinger via groups.io <kb6ibb=
zohomail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Wow, thats awesome. Thank you Jeff :-)

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 10:57 AM, Jeff Stillinger wrote:

[...]

Edward Seeliger

I also would like to thank Jeff for sharing this script with all of us.
Edd - KD5M