Topics

Two questions about the WSJT-X Software in general

dh1ok@...

Hello

I use two radios for digital modes here in my shack. The first one is my old IC706 for KW and the other one is a FT991 for UKW. Both work well together with the software WSJT-X and HRD. But both radios need different settings in the WSJT-X software.

My questions are :
1. Is there a possibility to store the different settings, so that I can easily change the settings between the radios?
2. Which files are important for the software and which do i need to backup, when i want to install a clean copy of the program on a new hardware with Windows 10?

Thanks for the help

Olaf

Bill Somerville

On 05/05/2019 13:19, dh1ok@... wrote:
I use two radios for digital modes here in my shack. The first one is my old IC706 for KW and the other one is a FT991 for UKW. Both work well together with the software WSJT-X and HRD. But both radios need different settings in the WSJT-X software.

My questions are :
1. Is there a possibility to store the different settings, so that I can easily change the settings between the radios?
2. Which files are important for the software and which do i need to backup, when i want to install a clean copy of the program on a new hardware with Windows 10?
Hi Olaf,

the WSJT-X application takes an optional command line argument '--rig-name=<unique-name>' which allows you to run two or more instances of WSJT-X concurrently. Each will have its own log files and settings so they are effectively isolated.

The only files WSJT-X uses are the files in the log files directory ("Menu->File->Open log directory") and the settings file. See the WSJT-X User Guide for the location and name of the settings file on the supported platforms:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html#PLATFORM

When copying files between machines, note that some settings refer to file system locations that may be different on the destination machine. They can be adjusted once the settings file is moved using the normal settings dialog "Menu->File->Settings ...". Those entries are "Settings->Audio->Save Directory" and "Settings->Audio->AzEl Directory".

dh1ok@...

Hello Bill,

great thanks for the information.

73s

Olaf

dh1ok@...

Hi Bill

I configured my two instances now for the two radios. But now they are useing two different folders for the logging. This is something I didn't expect. This is because of the colours of the program, I wanted to keep only one file in both instances.

Can I use one shared folder for both instances only for the two files wsjtx.log and wsjtx_log.adi?

greetings

olaf

Bill Somerville

On 31/05/2019 08:29, dh1ok@... wrote:
Hi Bill

I configured my two instances now for the two radios. But now they are useing two different folders for the logging. This is something I didn't expect. This is because of the colours of the program, I wanted to keep only one file in both instances.

Can I use one shared folder for both instances only for the two files wsjtx.log and wsjtx_log.adi?

greetings

olaf

Hi Olaf,

you can have multiple instances of WSJT-X using the same ADIF log file. It is not really a supported configuration as there is no interprocess communication to guard against more than one instance writing to the file at the same time but in general it does work. You achieve this by using a symlink. On Windows you must do the following from a Windows command prompt:

let's say you have a default instance of WSJT-X and a second instance started with the --rig-name option FT991.

First you must move one of the WSJT-X ADIF log files to one side:

  rename "%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X - FT991\wsjtx_log.adi" "%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X - FT991\wsjtx_log.adi.saved"

then you create a hard link in the FT991 log files area that points to the ADIF log file in the default log files area:

   cd "%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X - FT991"
   mklink /H wsjtx_log.adi "%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi"

Then the last step is to merge the records from the ADIF log file you moved aside into the single ADIF log file. You can do that with a normal text editor like notepad.exe. Firstly take a backup of the file you are going to append data to:

   copy wsjtx_log.adi wsjtx_log.adi.backup

then append the FT991 log to the end of the single log:

   type wsjtx_log.adi.saved >>wsjtx_log.adi

Note that the first file in this command is the original log from the FT991 log files directory that you moved aside at the first step above. Now you must edit the combined log file to remove the ADIF header from the appended file. Open the combined file with notepad.exe:

   notepad wsjtx_log.adi

then search for the second ADIF header in the file using Ctrl+F and set the search string to <eoh>, you will find a block like this:

Delete that second header line, save the file and exit - and you are done.

dh1ok@...

Hello Bill,

IT WORKS GREAT!!!! This is it.

Thank you very much for the hints!

Olaf
DH1OK

wb8ufc@...

Bill,

What happens if two instances attempt to write to the same file simultaneously?
Is there explicit error handling that alerts the user?

Thanks in advance,

Ken M.

Bill Somerville

On 21/11/2020 15:23, wb8ufc@... wrote:
Bill,

What happens if two instances attempt to write to the same file simultaneously?
Is there explicit error handling that alerts the user?

Thanks in advance,

Ken M.
Hi Ken,

as I said to Olaf before, it is not a supported configuration, but the log files only get written when you click the OK button on the Log QSO dialog so you are in control and can avoid the potential race condition but not trying to log two QSOs simultaneously.

wb8ufc@...

Thank you for the response Bill.