Topics

TS-890 and Windows 10

Steven Rutledge

Upgraded to Windows 10 a week or so ago.  First glitch, receive locks up.  Haven't solved that.  Appears to be a one-off among users.

Today, having touched nothing, enabled F/H to try and work HV0A, radio keys, no tones.  USB Codec enabled in settings, tried without the F/H option, no tones.  I haven't done a thing to my computer or my radio.

I don't know where to start.

Steve, N4JQQ

Bill Somerville

On 17/10/2020 16:54, Steven Rutledge wrote:
Upgraded to Windows 10 a week or so ago.  First glitch, receive locks up.  Haven't solved that.  Appears to be a one-off among users.

Today, having touched nothing, enabled F/H to try and work HV0A, radio keys, no tones.  USB Codec enabled in settings, tried without the F/H option, no tones.  I haven't done a thing to my computer or my radio.

I don't know where to start.

Steve, N4JQQ

Hi Steve,

more information needed:

  • WSJT-X versionin use?
  • "Settings->PTT Method" options selected?
  • Does the rig switch to Tx mode when you transmit?
  • Have you checked the Tx audio level settings (see post below for a recipe to follow)?

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topic/setting_windows_wsjt_x_tx/75435187?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,75435187

Steven Rutledge

Bill, I looked at your recipe.  I'm running 2.2.2.  I don't see the same thing in your visual in my system.  I'm running Windows 10.  When this first occurred. I went to sound settings and playback device was my speakers.  I switched it to USB Codec and I started getting audio out again.  My radio always keys.  Then I stopped using the program.  Later I attempted to use it again and the same thing going on.  However, when I open sounds, USB Codec shows up so that obviously isn't the issue.  This all happens without me doing anything but reading email.  Is there a Windows 10 tutorial anywhere for someone who isn't familiar with the intricacies of 10?  When I first loaded the program on this new computer and set it up, all was good except for the lock-up described earlier.  Then this started happening without me touching anything in the settings.  I guess I'm not the only one who suffers with 10?

Steve, QQ

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 09:05 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

Hi Steven,

the same features are available on Windows 10 but you have to dig a bit deeper into the audio settings to find them. Look for the "Audio Control Panel" link at the bottom of the sounds settings window.

On 18/10/2020 01:42, Steven Rutledge wrote:
[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

Then this started happening without me touching anything in the settings.
Steve,

Because of the way Windows works there are times when "not touching anything" is not an option.
Especially when USB sound is involved you may need to check all settings each time you start up WSJT-X.
Certainly you must not assume the settings are correct when WSJT-X does not work properly.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-open-sounds-settings-in-windows-10.html
Shows how to get to the sound control in Windows.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Steven Rutledge

Thanks all for your patience and kindness.  I'm working on it.  Right now I can run WSJT-X by manually switching between computer speakers and the program.  The settings I used in Windows 7 to allow use of both seamlessly aren't working with 10 but I can live with it.  Still having the problem with WSJT-X locking up on receive.  Only program on the computer.  Its a new one.  :))))  A reboot fixes and I guess I can live with that too.  Windows 7 was so much simpler.

73 and gud DX

Steve, N4JQQ