Topics

Tnx for the FT991 fix but ...

John Kirby

... still so sad and disappointed

Is there any work around to make 2.2.x run on XP ?

John
N3AAZ

neil_zampella

There is no workaround.    The system used to create WSJT-X has dropped all XP and VISTA support.

The fixes are:
1.  Upgrade to a newer WIndows, probably 10
2.  Replace the computer with something that can run newer versions of Windows (refurb Dells can be found for under $200)
3.  Replace Windows with a good Linux distribution.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/6/2020 3:57 PM, John Kirby wrote:
... still so sad and disappointed

Is there any work around to make 2.2.x run on XP ?

John
N3AAZ

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Really nice refurbs from NewEgg with Win10Pro installed (fully licensed) are all of 178 bucks.

Core I5, 8 GB RAM. I have 3 of them and they have been just super...and not full of useless Bloatware.

Lenovo M92 is the product name and a ton of hams have bought them and been very happy. I was put on to them by the N2EME/N4EME moonbounce crew, who had at least 10 of them running with no issues whatever.

Unless you are dead broke, get one of these with Win10Pro installed and ready to register with Microsoft and you won't look back.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 2:57 PM John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...> wrote:
... still so sad and disappointed

Is there any work around to make 2.2.x run on XP ?

John
N3AAZ

Joe Subich, W4TV

There are also any number of refurbished "small form factor" computers
(Compaq, Dell, HP, Lenovo) ranging from Core2Duo to 3rd/4th generation
i5/i7 on Amazon. Prices range from $150 to $400 depending on CPU, RAM
and disk drive.

All appear to have fully licensed Windows 10 Professional ...

With refurbs available for less than the retail cost of Windows 10
and capable of orders of magnitude better performance than the
typical Windows XP hardware, there is no justification for *not*
upgrading to Windows 10 - particularly since the new hardware will
have a "runway" of many years.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-06-06 5:39 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
Really nice refurbs from NewEgg with Win10Pro installed (fully licensed)
are all of 178 bucks.
Core I5, 8 GB RAM. I have 3 of them and they have been just super...and not
full of useless Bloatware.
Lenovo M92 is the product name and a ton of hams have bought them and been
very happy. I was put on to them by the N2EME/N4EME moonbounce crew, who
had at least 10 of them running with no issues whatever.
Unless you are dead broke, get one of these with Win10Pro installed and
ready to register with Microsoft and you won't look back.
73, N0AN
Hasan
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 2:57 PM John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...> wrote:

... still so sad and disappointed

Is there any work around to make 2.2.x run on XP ?

John
N3AAZ

Jim Shorney

Or you can load Linux on the XP machine and say goodbye to Win10 issues.

On 2020-06-06 5:39 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
Really nice refurbs from NewEgg with Win10Pro installed (fully licensed)
are all of 178 bucks.

Core I5, 8 GB RAM. I have 3 of them and they have been just super...and not
full of useless Bloatware.

Lenovo M92 is the product name and a ton of hams have bought them and been
very happy. I was put on to them by the N2EME/N4EME moonbounce crew, who
had at least 10 of them running with no issues whatever.

Unless you are dead broke, get one of these with Win10Pro installed and
ready to register with Microsoft and you won't look back.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 2:57 PM John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...> wrote:

... still so sad and disappointed

Is there any work around to make 2.2.x run on XP ?

John
N3AAZ

Bob G8HGN

Hi,

I use a laptop with Vista for 144 & 432. I can still make QSOs with stations who are using the new releases.

However I don't get the benefit of the new decoder or contest modes changes.

Everyday contacts are fine,  I've recently had some Es QSOs on 144 with it.

So whilst it's better to upgrade, you can still use your system for now, with limitations.

73

Bob G8HGN