Time Synch. #Timesync

I am having a hard time keeping my computer in synch. I use Dimension 4 as my program.
Is the problem my processor or the program?
Anyone using another time sych that may cure my problem?

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Tim

Hi Dave,

Ditch Dimension4 and install the proper NTP implementation from here...

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

You will get better results.

regards

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Bruce N7XGR

Dave,  I use this one with a GPS puck, https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html
You can select either internet or USB GPS device.
Via the internet I have picked one of these closest to me,

Bruce  N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:
I am having a hard time keeping my computer in synch. I use Dimension 4 as my program.
Is the problem my processor or the program?
Anyone using another time sych that may cure my problem?

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Alan Biocca

Bkttimesync and Dimension 4 are Simple NTP clients (not full NTP), they don't synchronize the clock very frequently or do a thorough job of checking their time sources for quality. If your PC's clock oscillator is poor (not the CPU, and many clock oscillators are quite far off), it will drift very quickly. Meinberg NTP (a full NTP client) will likely improve things as it gets time every minute or two from several internet sources and does a quality analysis to determine the best source of time. It also applies time corrections and develops correction factors to keep the system clock more accurate.

Do make sure you don't have two time systems running, Windoze time will occasionally set the system time much further off than it already was, so make sure that it isn't still active and causing problems.

Good luck with your setup.

73 de Alan, w6akb

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:10 PM Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:
Dave,  I use this one with a GPS puck, https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html
You can select either internet or USB GPS device.
Via the internet I have picked one of these closest to me,

Bruce  N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:
I am having a hard time keeping my computer in synch. I use Dimension 4 as my program.
Is the problem my processor or the program?
Anyone using another time sych that may cure my problem?

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Jim Brown

On 7/21/2021 2:50 PM, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
I am having a hard time keeping my computer in synch. I use Dimension 4 as my program.
Is the problem my processor or the program?
Anyone using another time sych that may cure my problem?
If you're on Windows and on the internet, I strongly recommend this one -- I've been using it since the earliest days of WSJT modes. Very simple, starts when you start your computer, can be set to update at any interval.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

73, Jim K9YC

Bruce N7XGR

My GPS update setting is every 60 seconds, time.is indicates this right now,
The difference from Time.is was +0.000 seconds (±0.069 seconds)
I believe this is good enough.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:20 PM Alan Biocca <alan.biocca@...> wrote:
[...]

Results will vary with how bad the clock on the motherboard is. Simple NTP may be good enough on one motherboard and inadequate on another. Why not use the better tool? People seem to push whatever tool they've used, regardless of whether it is actually adequate for others. It often isn't. The simple tools just don't always do an adequate job.

73 de w6akb

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:41 PM Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:
[...]

And to add to Alan's assertions... with some motherboards that have speed stepping enabled aka "Power Saving" in Windows, they can be even worse.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard that would cause its timing to fluctuate +/-4 seconds with speed stepping. This problem went away when I set Windows to "High Performance". That setting turns off stepping. I've since relegated that MB to duties as a NAS and found a far more stable one to use as a radio pc.

So... in summary, either use a GPS puck or the real NTP software for minimal problems with time on your PC.

regards

Tim

On 22/7/21 8:49 am, Alan Biocca wrote:
Results will vary with how bad the clock on the motherboard is. Simple NTP may be good enough on one motherboard and inadequate on another. Why not use the better tool? People seem to push whatever tool they've used, regardless of whether it is actually adequate for others. It often isn't. The simple tools just don't always do an adequate job.
--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Martin G0HDB

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:07 PM, Tim wrote:
Hi Dave,

Ditch Dimension4 and install the proper NTP implementation from here...

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

You will get better results.
Very well put, Tim.

Anyone planning to install the 'Meinberg' proper NTP implementation might find GM8ARV's guidance available on the following website helpful:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

--
Martin G0HDB

I cant seem to get the program to download ??

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

William Smith

Try:
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable

Are you getting an error message?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 22, 2021, at 4:36 PM, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@comcast.net> wrote:

I cant seem to get the program to download ??

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Yes Willie something able a server problem??
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

ntp stable wont download on the main page. And a server error on the stable version.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

William Smith

I just downloaded:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/download/ntp/windows/ntp-4.2.8p15-v2-win32-setup.exe

NTP package with IPv6 support for Windows XP and newer

on FIOS in North Reading, MA, and on an ISP in the Turks and Caicos. I saw something about an earlier internet disruption (YA CDN issue?) so maybe reboot and try again?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 22, 2021, at 5:12 PM, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@comcast.net> wrote:

ntp stable wont download on the main page. And a server error on the stable version.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Ok did the same thing. I will try later and get back with ya
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

I tried it agn and the same thing happened.. I just wont load .
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

That’s odd Dave.  I just tried the link provided by William Smith and it worked flawlessly.  You may want to check your Windows download directory to see if it may have downloaded and you didn’t see it.

FYI – the files just downloads.  No page shows up in your browser.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II