TCI-Client for Sun SDR #Cat_RigControl

Борис Романов

Hi,
Maybe I don’t know something, but I want to ask.
Is the WSJTX program supposed to control the SDR transceiver (CAT and sound) via the TCI interface?
This control is implemented in the JTDX and MSW programs.
73 Boris UX8IW

--
Борис Романов

Bill Somerville

On 23/11/2021 19:33, Борис Романов via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
Maybe I don’t know something, but I want to ask.
Is the WSJTX program supposed to control the SDR transceiver (CAT and sound) via the TCI interface?
This control is implemented in the JTDX and MSW programs.
73 Boris UX8IW

Hi Boris,

as far as I am aware, you are the first to ask. No WSJT-X does not currently support that rig control mechanism. If there is enough interest I can look at implementing it, or if anyone wants to contribute an implementation as a pull request I will consider its inclusion in WSJT-X.

Michael Black

I have an item to implement the TCI CAT control in hamlib.
With some luck might be in hamlib 4.5 or 5.0 whichever is next around Mar 1.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 04:39:51 PM CST, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 23/11/2021 19:33, Борис Романов via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
Maybe I don’t know something, but I want to ask.
Is the WSJTX program supposed to control the SDR transceiver (CAT and sound) via the TCI interface?
This control is implemented in the JTDX and MSW programs.
73 Boris UX8IW

Hi Boris,

as far as I am aware, you are the first to ask. No WSJT-X does not currently support that rig control mechanism. If there is enough interest I can look at implementing it, or if anyone wants to contribute an implementation as a pull request I will consider its inclusion in WSJT-X.

Борис Романов

Hi Bill, Mike
This question arose during the discussion on the site forum.qrz.ru of the capabilities of the WSJTX, JTDX and MSHV programs by users of SUN SDR transceivers. Surprised that WSJTX does not use TCI communication technology.
Thanks.
73 Boris UX8IW
Среда, 24 ноября 2021, 0:39 +02:00 от Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>:

On 23/11/2021 19:33, Борис Романов via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
Maybe I don’t know something, but I want to ask.
Is the WSJTX program supposed to control the SDR transceiver (CAT and sound) via the TCI interface?
This control is implemented in the JTDX and MSW programs.
73 Boris UX8IW

Hi Boris,

as far as I am aware, you are the first to ask. No WSJT-X does not currently support that rig control mechanism. If there is enough interest I can look at implementing it, or if anyone wants to contribute an implementation as a pull request I will consider its inclusion in WSJT-X.

Борис Романов

Charlie Morrison

Hi Bill

There are a great many users of the SunSDR range, and I for one  would love to see TCI incorporated as a CAT  option…It can also stream the Audio which gets around having to use VAC with its attendant artefacts. Perhaps it could be investigated

73, Charlie GI4FUE

[...]

Roger Corbett

Hi Bill,
Just to add another number to the count. I too have a SunSDR and Id love to be able to use TCI directly from WSJT-X.
Currently Im using MacLoggerDX to do the connection which is fine but I’ve never been able to get any sort of doppler correction working with that setup.
Thats not totally true but 100hz steps, which is all I’ve been able to achieve, is useless as a microwave IF.

73
Roger ZL3RC

On 25/11/2021, at 8:43 AM, Charlie Morrison <charlie@...> wrote:

[...]

PH7R - Ronald

Same +1

Bill Somerville

Hi Roger,

as far as I can see the TCI feature for sample data is only implemented for I/Q data from ExpertSDR, not foe baseband PCM audio which is what is needed for WSJT-X, although audio does seem to be promised in some future version of TCI. Looking at the TCI 1.6 spec it does have commands to control audio streams, so maybe it is implemented.

I see the CAT via a virtual COM port uses a TS-480 emulation, I don't see why that would limit the SDR to 100 Hz steps, what do you have set in the "Step" drop-down list in ExpertSDR?

On 24/11/2021 20:16, Roger Corbett wrote:
[...]

Hi all

Bill, TCI 1.5 spec as used in JTDX 2.2.156, and the most recent version of MSHV also controls the audio stream. TCI 1.6 has been developed specifically for ExpertSDR V3 which is currently in alpha state. Neither of the 2 aforementioned programs work with TCI 1.6 yet.

@Roger ExpertSDR will let you go down to steps of 0.1 Hz

73, Charlie GI4FUE

[...]

Randy Diddel

Add me to the list that would like to see TCI added at least for CAT-type control. I am good with using VAC for now although it would be nice to have it all rolled together.
--
Randy Diddel
K5RHD

Michael Black

I need volunteers who have the need for TCI 1.5 and one for TCI 1.6
Does anybody need TCI 1.4?

I don't yet what the difference is but apparently JTDX's implementation only works on 1.5.

I'm going to add it to hamlib so you'll be able to download the new DLL to get it.

Mike W9MDB

On 25/11/2021 15:42, Randy Diddel wrote:
Add me to the list that would like to see TCI added at least for CAT-type control. I am good with using VAC for now although it would be nice to have it all rolled together.
--
Randy Diddel
K5RHD
DM79ku
Arvada, CO
Hi Andy,

can you detail what issues exist with using the ExpertSDR TS-480 emulation for CAT control please?

Michael Black

Hi Ronald,

Are you on Windows?

I'm starting to make the TCI interface and need a tester.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 02:19:57 PM CST, PH7R - Ronald <rpmeier.ned@...> wrote:

Same +1

Charlie Morrison

Hi Mike

I would need either. TCI 1.5 is current with ExpertSDR V2, 1.6 is required for V3

73, Charlie GI4FUE

I need volunteers who have the need for TCI 1.5 and one for TCI 1.6

Does anybody need TCI 1.4?

I don't yet what the difference is but apparently JTDX's implementation only works on 1.5.

I'm going to add it to hamlib so you'll be able to download the new DLL to get it.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, November 25, 2021, 09:43:04 AM CST, Randy Diddel <k5rhd.73@...> wrote:

Add me to the list that would like to see TCI added at least for CAT-type control. I am good with using VAC for now although it would be nice to have it all rolled together.
--
Randy Diddel
K5RHD
DM79ku
Arvada, CO

Randy Diddel

Hi Bill,

I am a Mac user. I use MacLoggerDX. I have to set up operation as outlined here: https://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX%20Help/sunsdr_wsjt-x.html

It works, but is a little to Rube Goldberg-like for my taste. Ideally, having the radio run 100% as the source for all band, mode data, etc. would be great instead of relying on a loopback audio driver and the logging software to all be good.

I would be open to help test on the Mac.

Randy Diddel
K5RHD
DM79ku
Arvada, CO