moderated Runaway TX watchdog #macOS

Jeremy Stark

After 11 TX attempts with no reply I get a Runaway TX watchdog alert. Is this expected behaviour?

--
Jeremy G7BHB

Bill, WB6JJJ

The count down timer is in the lower right corner of the WSJTx screen. Five minutes in normal mode and I believe two minutes in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Nov 22, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Jeremy Stark via groups.io <jrmstark=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

After 11 TX attempts with no reply I get a Runaway TX watchdog alert. Is this expected behaviour?

--
Jeremy G7BHB

Dave Garber

time can be changed , but yes its normal, and yes F/H is lower

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 8:34 PM Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:
The count down timer is in the lower right corner of the WSJTx screen.  Five minutes in normal mode and I believe two minutes in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ

> On Nov 22, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Jeremy Stark via groups.io <jrmstark=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> After 11 TX attempts with no reply I get a Runaway TX watchdog alert. Is this expected behaviour?
>
> --
> Jeremy G7BHB

Martin G0HDB

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 01:00 AM, Jeremy Stark wrote:
After 11 TX attempts with no reply I get a Runaway TX watchdog alert. Is this expected behaviour?

--
Jeremy G7BHB
Yes, it is expected behaviour.

You can set the Tx watchdog time-out period via the Settings > General tab, but the time-out period you specify doesn't apply when you're operating as a DXpedition-mode Hound - the Guide states:

"You will need to re-activate Enable Tx (or hit Enter on the keyboard) at least once every two minutes.  (This restriction is to ensure that an operator is present and paying attention.)"

--
Martin G0HDB

Jeremy Stark

Thanks.

Nonetheless, the phraseology "Runaway TX watchdog” sounds like an error; maybe it should be rephrased.

For instance “TX retry count exceeded”, or just “TX count exceeded"?

I use RF equipment with control software at work, and watchdogs always indicate an error, not a feature :-)

--
Jeremy Stark