RFI with MSK144 vs FT8 #general

Lance Collister, W7GJ

I may be the only person who has ever operated MSK144 from a moving car, so I don't know if anyone can compare notes with me or not. During the first day of our road trip across country, I operated FT8 continuously and the car seemed to operate FB. At the start of the second day, I operated MSK144 and there was erratic behavior with the steering all day, even when the radio was disconnected and no longer operating.  We are now in Colorado Springs and we can't continue with the trip until this issue is resolved.

I was running between 150 and 200 w output on 6m to a Squalo mounted about 3' above the roof. There was never any interference to the CD player or FM radio while I was on the air.

I wonder if there may be something different in the way the MSK144 tones are generated compared to FT8 that may have caused RFI and interfered with the car computer (either through the DC line coupling or via the RF). We are trying to get an appointment with a dealer here in Colorado Springs before we can resume out trip.

Any experiences or information that may be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

--

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, FO/W7GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

page (above)!

Tim Blank

Lance, that is indeed troubling...is that a steer-by-wire system or direct linkage steering (not sure if the proper term)? We’re there any error codes or check lights that lit up?

Tim/N0TB

On May 3, 2021, at 9:33 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@bigskyspaces.com> wrote:

[...]

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

Lance, most likely it was just coincidental. Cars now days go through significant amount of EMC testing.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU
wb8vsu@...

On May 3, 2021, at 10:33 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:
[...]

I take it all back...it had nothing to do with the computer. It was a mechanical problem. The steering linking linkage fell out of the car today. It is at the dealer shop in DM78 now.... Hopefully we will at least be able to get on the road again in a couple days!  GL and VY 73, Lance

On May 3, 2021, at 9:33 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

[...]

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, FO/W7GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Jim Brown

On 5/3/2021 7:07 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
I wonder if there may be something different in the way the MSK144 tones are generated compared to FT8 that may have caused RFI and interfered with the car computer
No. I suggest that you choke the coax right at the point where it connects to the antenna. Two turns through a #31 clamp-on is a great starting point. Is there an address where I can send you one?

73, Jim K9YC

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Jim,

I did put several clamp on ferrites right where the coax connects to the Squalo. I wonder if maybe that is one reason I dont have any interference to the FM radio or CD player while running 200w output on FT8. Hopefully the car will be repaired and we will be back on the road by this evening ;-)  VY 73, Lance

On 5/3/2021 19:06, Jim Brown wrote:
[...]

For 6M, the ideal choke is two turns through a #31 clamp-on. See photo in this link.

http://k9yc.com/ChokesVHF.pdf

73, Jim K9YC