locked Remembering Bill Somerville - making it tangible #general

Pete Smith

It occurs to me that an appropriate way to remember Bill's contributions might be to fund or endow a scholarship for a young radio amateur through an appropriate worldwide organization - maybe WWROF or???

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.

Doug Grant

Another option would be for one or more individuals to sponsor one or more plaques in Bill's memory in the WW-DIGI contest.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@...> wrote:

It occurs to me that an appropriate way to remember Bill's contributions might be to fund or endow a scholarship for a young radio amateur through an appropriate worldwide organization - maybe WWROF or???

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Pete Smith

What about some sort of "uber-award" - Like the Bill Somerville Memorial Trophy - awarded annually for extraordinary achievement in the WW-DIGI contest?  I would contribute to that.

On 12/7/2021 9:10 PM, Doug Grant wrote:

Another option would be for one or more individuals to sponsor one or more plaques in Bill's memory in the WW-DIGI contest.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@...> wrote:

It occurs to me that an appropriate way to remember Bill's contributions might be to fund or endow a scholarship for a young radio amateur through an appropriate worldwide organization - maybe WWROF or???

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Kevin McQuiggin (VE7ZD/KN7Q)

Good idea re a memorial award of some type.

An annual innovation award would be worth consideration as well.  Some hams are more interested in developing new modes and techniques than in contesting.

I didn’t know Bill other than to speak with him on email a few times in regard to WSJT-X features and bugs, but I suspect he would be more in the innovator group than the contestor group.

Those closer to him could probably provide an appropriate suggestion.

Kevin
VE7ZD/KN7Q

On Dec 7, 2021, at 18:46, Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

Even better....

On 12/7/2021 10:31 PM, Kevin McQuiggin (VE7ZD/KN7Q) wrote:

[...]

Paul

Kevin VE7ZD/KN7Q.
Yes my thoughts too.Early days but I think its over to JT and developers.I shall put it to his family who I am in contact with.
Thanks all for the very kind posts at this difficult time.
Paul G4YKQ.

On Wednesday, 8 December 2021, 03:31:50 GMT, Kevin McQuiggin (VE7ZD/KN7Q) <mcquiggi@...> wrote:

[...]

Ria, N2RJ

I absolutely love this idea.

Perhaps you can ask the RSGB or some other group if they would be
interested in managing such an award?

Ria
N2RJ

Details here: https://ww-digi.com/plaques.htm

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@gmail.com> wrote:

It occurs to me that an appropriate way to remember Bill's contributions might be to fund or endow a scholarship for a young radio amateur through an appropriate worldwide organization - maybe WWROF or???

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Ria,

I think the ARRL (at least in the US) should take a lead on these types of awards.
Not only was Bill an innovator, but also a unique individual who has unselfishly
given his time to this hobby and was more than willing to help anyone and everyone.

73,

Sam W2JDB

<mcquiggi@...> wrote:

> Good idea re a memorial award of some type.
>
> An annual innovation award would be worth consideration as well.  Some hams are more interested in developing new modes and techniques than in contesting.
>
> I didn’t know Bill other than to speak with him on email a few times in regard to WSJT-X features and bugs, but I suspect he would be more in the innovator group than the contestor group.
>
> Those closer to him could probably provide an appropriate suggestion.
>
> Kevin
> VE7ZD/KN7Q
>

> On Dec 7, 2021, at 18:46, Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@...> wrote:
>
> What about some sort of "uber-award" - Like the Bill Somerville Memorial Trophy - awarded annually for extraordinary achievement in the WW-DIGI contest?  I would contribute to that.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
> web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
> For spots, please use your favorite
> "retail" DX cluster.
>
> On 12/7/2021 9:10 PM, Doug Grant wrote:
>
> Another option would be for one or more individuals to sponsor one or more plaques in Bill's memory in the WW-DIGI contest.
>
> Details here: https://ww-digi.com/plaques.htm
>
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@...> wrote:
>>
>> It occurs to me that an appropriate way to remember Bill's contributions might be to fund or endow a scholarship for a young radio amateur through an appropriate worldwide organization - maybe WWROF or???
>>
>> --
>> 73, Pete N4ZR
>> Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
>> web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
>> For spots, please use your favorite
>> "retail" DX cluster.

Ellis Birt (G7SAI)

+1 for the RSGB.

Since Bill's contribution was particularly to software and to bring the code up to professional standards.  Maybe an award for innovation and contribution to open source software in the amateur radio field.

73 de Ellis G7SAI

Yes Bill was the epitome of an Elmer. If we have an award, it needs to be something that recognises a ham’s contribution to the continued learning of hams. Definitely not a contest award.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill has been a mentor to many of us on this forum.  Personally I favor an educational award of some sort.  The first I heard of his passing is in these posts, so please excuse my ignorance, but was he ill?

__________

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Brian Morrison

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 21:13:47 +0000
"Dan Malcolm" <K4SHQ@outlook.com> wrote:

The first I heard of his passing is in these posts, so please excuse my ignorance, but was he ill?
The announcement said "suddenly and unexpectedly" so it would appear
that at the relatively young age of mid-60s Bill was not ill per se.
Maybe more information will become available in time, it will be a
matter of public record.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Paul

G8SEZ......Tnx for the post.I will post to the group any further news.
All early days.I rather expect a heart attack .
Also my condolences to The Reading radio club which Bill was  a member.Sorry I should have mentioned this before. I am not certain if he was still a member of The Burnham Beeches club but  I know he was a one time.
Kind Regards to all.Paul G4YKQ,Bills close friend.

On Wednesday, 8 December 2021, 22:18:54 GMT, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 21:13:47 +0000

"Dan Malcolm" <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

> The first I heard of his passing is in these posts, so please excuse my ignorance, but was he ill?

The announcement said "suddenly and unexpectedly" so it would appear
that at the relatively young age of mid-60s Bill was not ill per se.
Maybe more information will become available in time, it will be a
matter of public record.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Hi Dan,

Bill’s best friend discovered him dead in his shack. He had had no signs of an illness. He went round after Bill did not pick up his phone.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA