locked Release Candidate WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 #general

Joe

Dear WSJT-X Users,

We are pleased to announce that Release Candidate WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 is ready for download by beta testers. The list of changes since Release Candidate 4 is extensive. Be sure to read the Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt

Links for downloading WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 can be found on the WSJT-X Home Page, https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
Scroll down to find "Candidate release: WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5".

Installation files for Raspberry Pi are not yet available, but will be posted as soon as possible.

We hope you will enjoy using this beta release of WSJT-X 2.6.0. As a beta tester you should report on your experiences using one of the relevant WSJT forums. Bugs should be reported by following instructions found here in the User Guide:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.6.0-rc5.html#_bug_reports

WSJT-X and MAP65 are licensed under the terms of Version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GPLv3). Development of this software is a cooperative project to which many amateur radio operators have contributed. If you use our code, please have the courtesy to let us know about it. If you find bugs or make improvements to the code, please report them to us in a timely fashion. Additional licensing details can be found here:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/devel.html

73 from the WSJT Core Development Team
Joe, K1JT; Steve, K9AN; Nico, IV3NWV; Uwe, DG2YCB;
Brian, N9ADG; and John, G4KLA

Martin G0HDB

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 04:01 PM, Joe wrote:

Dear WSJT-X Users,

We are pleased to announce that Release Candidate WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 is
ready for download by beta testers. The list of changes since Release
Candidate 4 is extensive. Be sure to read the Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt
[Snipped]

Hi Joe and Core Dev Team, very many thanks indeed for all your ongoing efforts.

I'm pleased to report that the issue with the GUI not being correctly updated when switching between my FT8 Hound (special operating activity) configuration and other configurations that I'd reported after installing -rc4 definitely seems to have been resolved; it's no longer necessary to toggle the 'H' button when switching to and from my Hound config.

Martin G0HDB

Nick Smeltzer

Hi, does this include a working DLL for the new Yaesu FT-710 or not? I am on the previous version and have a specifically written DLL for me so I just wonder if I upgrade whether I'd need to replace my DLL again or whether it will work straight away?

And as previously stated, thank you!

Nick

On 29/11/2022 16:01, Joe wrote:
[...]

Michael Black

When you install RC5 be sure to change the installation path so you can keep the old version.

Then download the new dll from here https://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/ and replace the DLL in RC5\bin

Test it and make sure it works and then you can uninstall the old version.

Mike W9MDB

On 29/11/2022 16:01, Joe wrote:
[...]

AB8WD-Willie

flex 660 error while using rc 5 unable to use #stopped_working ham lib error unable to attach pic of error

Brian Morrison

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 11:01:22 -0500
"Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

Dear WSJT-X Users,

We are pleased to announce that Release Candidate WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 is
ready for download by beta testers. The list of changes since
Release Candidate 4 is extensive. Be sure to read the Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt
<snip>
73 from the WSJT Core Development Team
Joe, K1JT; Steve, K9AN; Nico, IV3NWV; Uwe, DG2YCB;
Brian, N9ADG; and John, G4KLA
An excellent release it seems, and as you say the release note additions
are considerable.

Thank you Joe et al.

vy 73

--

Brian G8SEZ

Ed Stratton

Is there just a upgrade feature to get this one loaded?

Tia

W1zz

"Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

Dear WSJT-X Users,

We are pleased to announce that Release Candidate WSJT-X 2.6.0-rc5 is
ready for download by beta testers. The list of changes since
Release Candidate 4 is extensive. Be sure to read the Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt
<snip>
73 from the WSJT Core Development Team
Joe, K1JT; Steve, K9AN; Nico, IV3NWV; Uwe, DG2YCB;
Brian, N9ADG; and John, G4KLA
An excellent release it seems, and as you say the release note additions
are considerable.

Thank you Joe et al.

vy 73

--

Brian G8SEZ

--
73, Ed
W1ZZ

--
tia
73

Reino Talarmo

Just go to the page https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html and download it as you did in the first installation. You may wish to put it into a new directory such as wsjtx2.6.0_rc5 at setup. Your own settings are kept.

73, Reino OH3mA

"Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Carpenter

I am running Linux Mint 21 and get errors when I try to install RC5. Is there any way to install from the package without compiling from source?

73, Bill NZ0T

Michael Black

Just install -- be sure to select a new path for the installation -- test it -- then eventually you can uninstall the old version.Do not install it in the default \wsjt\wsjtx path as you will not be able to uninstall 2.5.4 then.
Mike W9MDB

"Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

[...]

And the errors would be???
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 04:33:20 PM CST, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:

I am running Linux Mint 21 and get errors when I try to install RC5.  Is there any way to install from the package without compiling from source?

73, Bill NZ0T

Bill Carpenter

Here are the errors I get from GDebi:
Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%%
(Reading database ... 10%%
(Reading database ... 15%%
(Reading database ... 20%%
(Reading database ... 25%%
(Reading database ... 30%%
(Reading database ... 35%%
(Reading database ... 40%%
(Reading database ... 45%%
(Reading database ... 50%%
(Reading database ... 55%%
(Reading database ... 60%%
(Reading database ... 65%%
(Reading database ... 70%%
(Reading database ... 75%%
(Reading database ... 80%%
(Reading database ... 85%%
(Reading database ... 90%%
(Reading database ... 95%%
(Reading database ... 100%%
(Reading database ... 470676 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../wsjtx_2.6.0-rc5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wsjtx (2.6.0-rc5) over (2.5.4+repack-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/bill/Downloads/wsjtx_2.6.0-rc5_amd64.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/doc/wsjtx/example_log_configurations/README', which is also in package wsjtx-doc 2.5.4+repack-1
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive '/home/bill/Downloads/wsjtx_2.6.0-rc5_amd64.deb' (size=17201378) member 'data.tar': internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: error: <decompress> subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from '/home/bill/Downloads/wsjtx_2.6.0-rc5_amd64.deb' to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26+mint1+vanessa) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ...
/home/bill/Downloads/wsjtx_2.6.0-rc5_amd64.deb

Bill Carpenter

Sorry to be dense but I’m not a Linux genius. How do I install in a different path? When I right click the download and pick GDebi to install I see no option for a different path.

73, Bill NZ0T

Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...>

Hi Bill,

Sorry to be dense but I’m not a Linux genius. How do I install in a different path? When I right click the download and pick GDebi to install I see no option for a different path.
That advice for different path was for Windows, methinks.

Have you previously installed WSJT-X from your Linux repository?

If so, you might want to unintall that version ( 2.5.4+repack-1 ) first.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Bill Carpenter

Hi Kari,

I tried uninstalling 2.5.4 but still get the same errors when I try to install 2.6.0-rc5. Guess I'll stay with 2.5.4 until a final version of 2.6 comes out.

73, Bill NZ0T