Locked Raspberry Pi Decoding issues #raspberryPi

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Hello all! I have been using WSJTX for about a year and a half on my Lenovo IdeaPad and it works great. However I decided to build a little computer with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (8gb) to try to be a bit more portable. The Pi went together without a hitch and I installed the version of WSJTX (2.4 something, I think) that came up as a choice in the "native" Pi OS. Other than the screen being way too large for the 7" screen, and no way of scaling it, it seemed to work OK until I started comparing the decode to my laptop. Only about half as many contacts appeared on the screen with the Pi as did with the IdeaPad. Is this considered "normal" for the lower powered computer or are there some tweaks I need to apply to bring up performance?

--
Justin B.
KI5GKD

CharileG

Mr. Bowser,
what you are experiencing is not normal. I am running WSJTX on a Pi 4 Model B (8gb) together with a IOT message switch, a database server, and my own Propagation mapping program. With all running simultaneously I do not experience any dropped WSJTX messages. I have run WSJTX on a Pi 3b without issue. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what is wrong with your installation, as I have never encountered such problems. May I suggest that you run top from a command line on the Pi4 and watch the processor activity idle time (id) and waiting on io(wa) in line beginning "%Cpu(s)" and also your memory utilization. With all of my concurrent processes I am using only 900MB of the 8GB of ram. Are you using the same USB cable with the Pi that you employed with the Lenovo?

With regard to the 7" screen on your Pi4 may I suggest that you view WSJTX and other applications via VNC. WSJTX like most modern applications is expecting a 1920x1080 screen resolution rendered large enough to be read even by people of my age.

As this mystery intrigues me I would love to know how it resolves.

Charlie Gray KM4SDB

William Smith <w_smith@...>

I saw over 3500 decodes overnight with an RPi4/8G and a QRP-Labs QDX radio, so there must be something else going on.

I'd try a different screen first, not a 4K or anything, but higher resolution than the 7" Pi screen.

Try different settings on the decode menu, though there's an obvious tradeoff between speed and sensitivity. The above was with "Deep" setting, so we know the Pi will do that...

73, Willie VP5WS

On Mar 19, 2023, at 3:44 PM, Justin Bowser - KI5GKD <justin.bowser@...> wrote:

Hello all! I have been using WSJTX for about a year and a half on my Lenovo IdeaPad and it works great. However I decided to build a little computer with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (8gb) to try to be a bit more portable. The Pi went together without a hitch and I installed the version of WSJTX (2.4 something, I think) that came up as a choice in the "native" Pi OS. Other than the screen being way too large for the 7" screen, and no way of scaling it, it seemed to work OK until I started comparing the decode to my laptop. Only about half as many contacts appeared on the screen with the Pi as did with the IdeaPad. Is this considered "normal" for the lower powered computer or are there some tweaks I need to apply to bring up performance?

--
Justin B.
KI5GKD

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Thanks, Charlie. I am looking at the Pi and the version of wsjtx installed is 2.3.0. Running top I have a bit over 7 GB available with wsjtx running. I have tried all 3 decode settings with same result.

I have ordered a 15" monitor for it so we'll see how it goes. Also have an issue with Bluetooth. When I go into wsjtx my mouse and keyboard quit working!
--
Justin B.
KI5GKD

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Charlie - Just tried the same USB sound-card/cable on my lenovo and same radio and everything looked fine so I suspect it's not that. Monitor is supposed to be here tomorrow so will test further then.

--
Justin B.
KI5GKD

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

I hooked up my new HDMI 15.6 screen and decodes look "normal!" I have no idea why screen size would affect this but I'm not going to argue with the results. I ran my ADX-UNO with the Pi this afternoon and made several FT8 contacts at 3.5W.

--
Justin B.
KI5GKD