locked Power amplifier RX/TX relay damage-high SWR -From Halt TX during Q65-60B TX #Q65

G Richard Kreuter

I have had my Tajfun 1000 432MHz PA shutdown-zero power out-during TX of a string of EME Q65-60B CQ's. I had been running 425W out and seeing 2.2W REV. Antenna array tested 1.1SWR and 50 ohms. Tajfun memory showed shutdown due to high SWR. TX/RX relay was inspected, and pitting was found on the TX contact side. Since arching can occur when a contact is made or broken, I was wondering if using the Halt TX button in the middle of a high power 60 sec TX happens too fast?

Reino Talarmo

Since arching can occur when a contact is made or broken, I was wondering if using the Halt TX button in the middle of a high power 60 sec TX happens too fast?
Hi Richard,

Unless you have a long latency in your audio string this should not be possible. Well, I assume that PTT signaling is initiated only after power down tapering at the end of power off.

73, Reino OH3mA