locked Phony calls #decode

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Joe

Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276
It makes me climb to my shack to find out it is a phony call
Please try fto filter out those phony calls

Amos 4X4MF

William Smith

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar? If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Willie

I do not use Enable AP but I do use Deep.
What do I loose when I change Deep to Normal?

Amos 4X4MF

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar? If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Michael Black

You will lose some decodes but CPU usage will be less.
Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 02:20:28 PM CDT, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:

Willie

I do not use Enable AP but I do use Deep.
What do I loose when I change Deep to Normal?

Amos 4X4MF

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar?  If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Mike @ Willie

Since this particular erroneous decode has a typical form, I believe it can be filtered out without loosing performance.

Amos 4X4MF

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar? If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Another one that just came in:

203915 -22 0.6 992 ~ Z28YNB P66LCC 579 4023

Amos 4X4MF

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar? If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Michael Black

Yes...false decodes are possible.
Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 03:48:08 PM CDT, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:

Another one that just came in:

203915 -22  0.6  992 ~  Z28YNB P66LCC 579 4023

Amos 4X4MF

What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar?  If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Joe Subich, W4TV

Those are typical "false decodes" from using "deep". Go to Normal and
the incidence of false decodes will be significantly reduced.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-05-25 4:47 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF wrote:
Another one that just came in:
203915 -22 0.6 992 ~ Z28YNB P66LCC 579 4023
Amos 4X4MF
What is “Decode” set to across the top menu bar? If it’s not ’Normal’ try backing off, and don’t use AP, see if that solves the problem.
73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 25, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF <asobel@...> wrote:
Every day I get a few decodes of this form:
181930 -21 -1.3 2885 QRG4GZI 7Q5SWR R 549 7276

Reino Talarmo

I do not use Enable AP but I do use Deep.
What do I loose when I change Deep to Normal?

Hi Amos

AP potential false decodes are indicated by "?" mark. AP as such increases false decodes only during a QSO including messages that are decoded to start with "CQ" or "MyCall". See User Guide 12.1. AP Decoding.

A total removal of false decoded would require an implementation of Artificial Intelligence as Regulatory Authorities could allocate almost any call sign construction or a message structure based filtering would prevent or make difficult to design new contest messages. Humans are still luckily much better in recognizing suspicious call signs and other contructions!

73, Reino OH3mA

The Greene Family

Is AP automatically activated when you're in Hound mode on FT8?

For the first time yesterday I had a "? a3" added to the end of the "RR73" message from a Fox. Came as a surprise.

A search of the documentation did not yield an obvious answer, but perhaps I missed it. Feel free to abuse me appropriately if I didn't do a thorough enough search.

73, Clarke K1JX

Michael Black

It's not supposed to be -- this line in the decode function is supposed to turn off the lft8opon flag.The AP button is hidden when in Hound mode.
  if(m_mode=="FT8") dec_data.params.lft8apon = ui->actionEnable_AP_FT8->isVisible () &&
      ui->actionEnable_AP_FT8->isChecked ();

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, 08:52:25 AM CDT, The Greene Family <cvgreene@...> wrote:

Is AP automatically activated when you're in Hound mode on FT8?

For the first time yesterday I had a "? a3" added to the end of the "RR73" message from a Fox.  Came as a surprise.

A search of the documentation did not yield an obvious answer, but perhaps I missed it.  Feel free to abuse me appropriately if I didn't do a thorough enough search.

73,  Clarke K1JX

The Greene Family

I believe you. But, I have a screen shot showing the "? a3" I could send to you if that would be of help.

The AP button is indeed hidden in Hound mode.

Clarke K1JX

Michael Black

It's not obvious why that check would fail.
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, 01:02:26 PM CDT, The Greene Family <cvgreene@...> wrote:

I believe you.  But, I have a screen shot showing the "? a3" I could send to you if that would be of help.

The AP button is indeed hidden in Hound mode.

Clarke  K1JX

The Greene Family

What can I tell you? Beats me.

Clarke K1JX

Karza

Hi Mike,

[ I absolutely hate C++ and do not know Fortran too well either, so
please take the following with a grain of salt: ]

While poking around the WSJT-X source code trying to follow "lft8apon" I
stumbled on this code in "wsjtx/lib/ft8/ft8b.f90":

  if(lapon.or.ncontest.eq.7) then !Hounds always use AP
     if(.not.lapcqonly) then
        npasses=4+nappasses(nQSOProgress)
     else
        npasses=5
     endif
  else
     npasses=4
  endif

Note the comment "Hounds always use AP".

The variable "lapon" is actually "lft8apon" at this point and "ncontest" is 7 when in Hound mode.
If I understand correctly then AP is enabled in Hound mode no matter what the value of "lft8apon" is ,
just like the comment says.

This could explain Clarke's observation.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

On 26.5.2022 17.19, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
It's not supposed to be -- this line in the decode function is supposed to turn off the lft8opon flag.The AP button is hidden when in Hound mode.
  if(m_mode=="FT8") dec_data.params.lft8apon = ui->actionEnable_AP_FT8->isVisible () &&
      ui->actionEnable_AP_FT8->isChecked ();

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, 08:52:25 AM CDT, The Greene Family <cvgreene@...> wrote:
Is AP automatically activated when you're in Hound mode on FT8?

For the first time yesterday I had a "? a3" added to the end of the "RR73" message from a Fox.  Came as a surprise.

A search of the documentation did not yield an obvious answer, but perhaps I missed it.  Feel free to abuse me appropriately if I didn't do a thorough enough search.

73,  Clarke K1JX

The Greene Family

Kari,

This is yet another example of why I am not mentally suited to authoring software!

73,

Clarke K1JX

Michael Black

Good catch -- I kinda' though AP should be enabled for Hound mode.
So that 'splains things.
Mike W9MDB

On Friday, May 27, 2022, 12:10:19 AM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:

[...]

I wanna apologize. I found that earlier release notes did explicitly say "Implement AP decoding for contest messages and for Hound".

(From https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt - WSJT-X 2.0-rc3)

My fault for not researching further before asking others to do my homework for me.

Note to self...