locked No USB Input Audio to WSJT #AudioIssues #macOS #Yaesu #stopped_working #ftdi

William, W1MVY

Hi All!

I am in the process of getting my FT-818ND working with WSJT-x for field day 2022.

The Problem:

WSJT-x does not see any audio from the radio. That is, there is no audio from the radio to WSJT-x.

I have proven that:

- The Mac "sees" the USB Audio input and output (in the MacOS System Reporter->USB output, and MIDI Setup)
- The USB Audio is getting to the Mac (as seen in the System Preferences->Sound panel)
- The Audio levels have been adjusted from very low to very high with no result in WSJT-x
- The USB audio is making it to the Mac by looking
- The USB Audio itself works fine, I have run FLDigi using this exact hardware setup during my debugging session and it works.
- WSJT-x's shared memory is configured according to the instructions and does not get a "Shared Memory Error"
(I run the CLI commands to properly config SH on each boot)
- The results with WSJT-x (Does not work) and FLDigi (Works) are the same with two different USB2 <-> USB-c hubs
- All rig control through FLRIG/Cat works fine
- This entire configuration with WSJT-x used to work with an Intel-based Mac in the past

My configuration:

- WSJT-x Version 2.5.4 for macOS 10.13 through 12
- A 2021 Apple MacBook Pro 16 inch, M1-Max
- MacOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
- A Yaesu FT-818ND
- An FTDI-based CAT cable
- A U-Green USB Audio Cable
- A UNI 3 USB2.0 port + Network Hub OR an Andobil Multi-port Hub (including 2 x USB2.0 with other ports
- WSJT-x is set up to run through FLRiG for CAT control (but I have also tried with HAMLib)
- FLDigi Version 4.1.20 for Audio testing Purposes (see above)

What am I doing wrong with WSJT-x here? Is there a USB/Audio bug with WSJT-x?

It does not seem that this should be as hard as it is given this works with FLDigi!

Thanks for any guidance.

-- Scott, W1MVY

Gary Rogers

Does the 818 have an internal sound card or are you using an external interface like a signal link?

On May 22, 2022, at 6:51 PM, William, W1MVY <snacey@...> wrote:

[...]

This morning I inserted the Rogue Amoeba Loopback into the USB -> WSJT-x path internally to my M1-based MAC.

The result is that I have proved
1. The Audio out to the radio from WSJT-x works and I can transmit.
2. The USB audio from the radio is getting to the Mac, works fine with the Loopback (I can see and hear intercepted audio from the radio on my Speakers but...
3. No audio gets through to WSJT-x using the USB or loopback device.
4. If I use another application like FLDigi that uses the same USB or loopback audio - everything works fine.

WSJT-x on this Mac seems to be the issue.

Any ideas?

-- Scott, W1MVY

William, W1MVY

Hi Roger. The FT818ND has an internal sound card.

-- Scott, W1MVY

William, W1MVY

Sorry - not Roger but I should have said Gary in my last post.

-- Scott, W1MVY

William, W1MVY

Another oddity....

I ran Parallels and Win11 ARM on my M1 Mac and loaded WSJT-x Version 2.5.4 64-bit windows version. The USB Audio works, but the CAT control does nor the CAT issue is probably an FDDI Win-11 driver issue, but the fact that the USB audio works is interesting.

After reading other comments on similar USB-Audio on Apple M-based Macs, I increasingly believe that WSJT-x has a problem. Perhaps it is a Mac Driver problem but the fact that other Radio Control/CAT/USB Audio using applications on the M-based Mac work makes me feel that the issue is WSJT-x.

If I have time, I'll load up the source code for WSJT-x and start doing some real debugging.

-- Scott, W1MVY

William, W1MVY

Mostly for my own record (and anyone else reading this)....

I got WSJT-x working on an old, Intel-based Mac today running MacOS Catalina.

The old Mac did not require a USB hub to connect the two cables needed - USB Audio and CAT. WSJT-x "just worked" showing me that my audio cable is not the issue and, I suspect, neither is WSJT-x. The new suspects are MacOS Monterey and/or the hubs or how Monterey deals with hubs or USB overall. I can see numerous complaints online a bout M1 Macs and USB Audio through USB-C hubs... Hmm, we will see.

My text test is to place the USB Audio cable on it's own, non-Hub based USB-C -> USB2/3 dongle (no hub involved for that cable). The other USB 2/3 cables (CAT as well as one for a WinKeyer) work fine through the hub.

Stay tuned.

-- Scott, W1MVY

William, W1MVY

Okay. Final message.

I finally got root cause with my WSJT-x / M1-Mac / FT-818 connectivity saga.

The final issue was resolved after a conversation with Apple support. The solution was the "(almost) if all else fails" path of creating a new user on my Mac to eliminate everything that loaded prior to loading WSJT-x because audio was getting to my Mac but not to the WSJT-x application. This worked.

One of the other applications in my main account on the Mac has somehow "messed with" the USB driver/audio path so that WSJT-x alone does not see USB audio. Once this was determined, I retested with my USB2/3 to USB-C hubs and all works fine. I don't which app is to blame, but I don't need to know if I simply use a second account on the Mac for "field "operations" which is actually a great idea!

Wow - how cools is that?

Thanks for reading if you actually did.

-- Scott, W1MVY