locked No Radio Setting for IC-375A #Icom #Cat_RigControl

Walter Miller, AJ6T

I recently obtained a old 1980s-era Icom IC-375A monoband 222 MHz transceiver, and I cannot get it to work with WSJT-X.  The first problem is that there is no IC-375A Radio option in the WSJT-X settings menu, so there is no direct way to control this transceiver from WSJT-X.  I had partial success by selecting "DX Lab Suite Commander" as the radio and using DX Commander to control the CAT portion of the interface since DX Commander does have an IC-375A option.  With that setup I can control the IC-375A frequency and mode from DX Commander, and both DX Commander and WSJT-X properly display the chosen mode and frequency.  FT8 reception works, but PTT and audio TX do not work.  I'm using the default IC-375A CI-V parameters Hex12 and 1200 baud.

My interface is a G8XGG "USB-DIGIMODE-4" box with three cables: USB to computer, ACC DIN connector to rig, and CI-V cable to the rig's  3.5mm mini "REMOTE" connector.  This interface presents both an audio CODEC and a COM port to the computer.

It's worth noting that the ancient IC-375A does not have a CAT command to control PTT, so that function must be performed separately from the CAT link (via RTS on the COM port).  The rig will be operated in USB mode since there is no dedicated digital mode on the IC-375A.

The IC-375A is very similar to other monoband VHF rigs of that era, the IC-275 (2m) and IC-475 (70cm), so I imagine that the hamlib programs used for all three rigs must be very similar. Another complication is that it appears that all of the WSJT-X options for Icom radios use the default settings for CI-V ports and baud rates.

I would like to run the IC-375A directly from WSJT-X in one configuration, and to control the rig from DX Commander in a separate configuration (obviously not at the same time) since that brings in the very nice DX Lab environment.

Any suggestions on how I might breathe life into my IC-375A would be most appreciated.

73, Walt, AJ6T

Steve Kavanagh

Hi Walt

I'm not really familiar with the IC-375A, but here's a few thoughts anyway.
1. I assume since you don't mention a mic jack connection, that there must be a tx audio pin on the ACC socket. Does it need to be turned on somewhere?
2. You might try taking the TX audio from the interface box to the mic jack and see if that works. I've done that with a K2. It's inconvenient, as you need a switch or plug-and-unplug to switch between SSB/FM and digital, but it might help troubleshoot the TX audio issue.
3. Is the IC-375A stable enough for FT8, etc.? Some of the older gear is pretty iffy at these frequencies. My much newer Elecraft XV222 transverter is ok on RX, but drifts badly (from a digital perspective) once I start transmitting. It's fine for SSB/CW.

Good luck with your project.

73,
Steve VE3SMA

Michael Black

Hi Walt,

Hopefully you are running the 64-bit version of WSJT-X.  If so, try this DLL and you should now see the IC-375 listed.  Just replace the hamlib-4.dll in the wsjtx\bin directory with this one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0

Let me know if it works OK.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 02:34:04 PM CDT, Walter Miller, AJ6T <aj6t@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I looked over the IC-375A manual very closely.  The text suggests connecting the TX audio to either the rear panel accessory connector or the front panel microphone jack, with no mention of a selector switch for one or the other.  There is a TX audio pin on the rear panel accessory connector.   In any event there is a bigger situation that must be dealt with first, and that is the lack of a PTT trigger when transmission should begin.

It remains to be seen if this rig is stable enough for FT8 operation.  The IC-375A does have a high stability crystal option, but unfortunately that is not installed in my unit.

I will tackle the PTT issue first.  I suspect that if the rig is keyed on I will find that the TX audio is indeed present.  After all, the CODEC is working on receive.

73, Walt, AJ6T

On 6/27/2022 2:55 PM, Steve Kavanagh via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Reino Talarmo

I will tackle the PTT issue first. I suspect that if the rig is keyed on I will find that the TX audio is indeed present. After all, the CODEC is working on receive.
Hi Walt,

I only have IC-375A Service Manual. It shows a AQS that has pin 7 called SEND (inside it is called AQSD and 'L'). It goes to the same control box as PTT. I assume that the AQSD is used as PTT in control line. There is also 'PTT out' pin number 6 AQPT called PTT (inside AQPT and 'K'). It was not clear whether it is really intended for PTT, but the SEND seems to indicate so. It is a logic level input 0 V active. There may be about 4 V in inactive state.

There are also TX MOD pin 2 (pin 1 TX E) and RX AF pin 5 (pin 9 RX E). Even CI-V pin 10.

Hope this gives some hints.

73, Reino OH3ma

Michael Black

Walt I just patched the IC-375 entry -- hopefully should work for CAT control now.

On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 12:05:18 AM CDT, Walter Miller, AJ6T <aj6t@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Reino,

Thanks very much for your inputs.  I'm chasing down multiple suggestions from multiple messages, and I'll reply to all of those helpers in due time.

I do have the IC-375A Instruction Manual, and on page 16 it has a summary of the AQS socket signals similar to what you provided. My interface does not connect to the AQS socket, but rather connects to the ACC socket.  The manual shows that either the ACC socket or the Mic connector can be used for the interface for an "AFSK Terminal Unit."

At the moment I am continuing to try to control the IC-375A via WSJT-X (version 2.6.0-rc1 6744bc) in conjunction with DX Lab Commander in MultiRadio configuration.  I have two separate WSJT-X configurations for my two radios (K3s and IC-375A).  Commander is set to operate with the IC-375A, and the WSJT-X Radio setting is "DX Lab Suite Commander."  With this arrangement I am able to receive FT8, but I can only trigger the IC-375A PTT from Commander, not from WSJT-X.

The reason I went this route was because originally there was no Radio option in WSJT-X for the Icom IC-375A.  Now Mike, W9MDB, has provided a WSJT-X update (thanks Mike!) to include the IC-375A, so to simplify things I'll go back to standalone WSJT-X operation to see if I can make progress with that new software.

73, Walt, AJ6T

On 6/28/2022 2:55 AM, Reino Talarmo wrote:
I will tackle the PTT issue first. I suspect that if the rig is keyed on I will find that the TX audio is indeed present. After all, the CODEC is working on receive.
Hi Walt,

I only have IC-375A Service Manual. It shows a AQS that has pin 7 called SEND (inside it is called AQSD and 'L'). It goes to the same control box as PTT. I assume that the AQSD is used as PTT in control line. There is also 'PTT out' pin number 6 AQPT called PTT (inside AQPT and 'K'). It was not clear whether it is really intended for PTT, but the SEND seems to indicate so. It is a logic level input 0 V active. There may be about 4 V in inactive state.

There are also TX MOD pin 2 (pin 1 TX E) and RX AF pin 5 (pin 9 RX E). Even CI-V pin 10.

Hope this gives some hints.

73, Reino OH3ma

Joe Subich, W4TV

Commander is set to operate with the IC-375A, and the WSJT-X Radio
setting is "DX Lab Suite Commander." With this arrangement I am able
to receive FT8, but I can only trigger the IC-375A PTT from
Commander, not from WSJT-X.
Do you have Commander configured to use RTS on the CAT port of your
interface for PTT - not trying to use CI-V commands (which the IC-375A
does not support)?

1) In Commander -> Config -> Ports -> Primary CAT Serial Port
Set RTS = TX

2) In Commander -> Config -> MultiRadio -> CAT Serial Port
Set RTS *for the IC=375A* to "X"

Is WSJTX configured to use CAT for PTT with Commander?

In WSJTX -> Settings -> Radio
Set Rig to *DXLab Suite Commander*
Set PTT Method to *CAT*
Set MODE to *None*
Set Split to *Fake it*

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-06-28 2:29 PM, Walter Miller, AJ6T wrote:
Hello Reino,
[...]

Hello again Mike,

Thanks very much for providing a modified DLL that adds the Icom IC-375A into the WSJT-X settings options.  I downloaded your new file and installed it on my 64-bit Win10 machine.  It does work, but there are some problems.

If I turn the main tuning knob on the IC-375A too quickly, WSJT-X throws a rig control error.  I suspect this might be due to the very slow default baud rate (1200 baud) that is being used.   Via internal DIP switches in the IC-375A, the rig is capable of up to 9600 baud, but I have not dug into the rig yet to make any changes.

If I mate WSJT-X to DX Lab Commander by using "DX Lab Suite Commander" as the rig, I would have the option of a different CI-V address   That option should be available in WSJT-X.  Is a default CI-V address hard coded into each Icom rig option in WSJT-X?

73, Walt, AJ6T

On 6/28/2022 6:42 AM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Walt I just patched the IC-375 entry -- hopefully should work for CAT control now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0

Mike W9MDB

Michael Black

The CI-V address for WSJT-X can be changed with a hamlib_settings.json file placed in the same location as the log files.Place this in hamlib_settings.json
{     "config": {             "civ_addr" : "0x50",
     }
}

As for the error on knob twiddling...probably not the baud rate.
Do you have transceive turned on?  Try turning it off.
Please place this file as described belowhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/t52ngcalsgnpm8m/wsjtx_log_config.ini?dl=0
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\WSJT-X The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be in the same location For Linux put it in   ~/.config The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be here: ~/.local/share/WSJT-X Restart WSJT-X and duplicate the problem.Shut down WSJT-X
Then send me the WSJT-X_RigControl.log fileMike W9MDB

On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 11:20:27 PM CDT, Walter Miller, AJ6T <aj6t@...> wrote:

[...]

Again without html formatting that yahoo mail messes up...

The CI-V address for WSJT-X can be changed with a hamlib_settings.json file placed in the same location as the log files.
Place this in hamlib_settings.json

{
     "config": {
             "civ_addr" : "0x50",