locked Kenwood TS-2000 - no TX-NF in Versions above 2.3.1 #linux #Cat_RigControl #IssueReport #txaudio #Kenwood

Stefan U. Hegner

Hi there,

... 3 months later, now at WSJT-X 2.5.4 ...

Kenwood TS-2000 with back-panel NF-in does not send a signal, despite
active PTT via extra serial RTS. TX Moni also has no signal for playback.

Briefly again my setup, that works perfectly up to WSJT-X 2.3.1 on
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS:

* rigctld (using the hamlib delivered with wstjtx) with "-m 2014"
* wsjt-x uses net rigctl, second serial port with RTS for PTT

... any news on this or additonal ideas?

Or should I rather post this in parallel to the hamlib-list, as we are
moving from hamlib 4.2 to hamlib 4.5?

Current status-quo from Nov was:
Am 01.11.21 um 20:04 schrieb Stefan U. Hegner:
Am 01.11.21 um 19:58 schrieb Bill Somerville:
On 01/11/2021 18:53, Stefan U. Hegner wrote:
Am 01.11.21 um 19:17 schrieb Bill Somerville:
On 01/11/2021 18:00, Stefan U. Hegner wrote:

Up to WSJT-X 2.3.1 all works fine and as desired. However if I
upgrade to 2.4.x or 2.5.x I get the following problem:

Hitting PTT won't put any NF trough the TRX and hence send no HF
signal.
Hamlib is statically linked into WSJT-X in our pre-built Linux
packages, so you must re-build WSJT-X to change the Hamlib version.
Maybe I wasn't clear on this one: It's the hamlib rigctld that is
manually started and listens for commands from wsjtx via the net api.
the Hamlib linked into WSJT-X is involved as well as rigctld, it is
that which communicates with rigctld. I suspect the issue may have
been fixed already. Understood on not wanting to rebuild WSJT-X with
a more recent Hamlib version, I suggest you stay with WSJT-X v2.3.1
until a new version is available, you will not have long to wait.
That sounds like a plan.

Actually that was the plan after 2.4.1. - I waited for 2.5.1 ... and
as this was not yet fixed, I started asking my questions here.
Vy 73

Stefan.

--
Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de>
* * *

Michael Black

Hamlib 4.5 is due Mar 1st.
For now you can compile the latest yourself and use rigctld from the latest version and have WSJT-X use Hamlib NET rigctl.
I think this problem was fixed.  At least I haven't heard any complaints recently.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, January 23, 2022, 08:53:55 AM CST, Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de> wrote:

[...]

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB

STEFAN -

The "No Audio from Rear Panel" condition exists when you inject PTT via either CAT command or serial RTS logic low to the Mic PTT line. Either signal mutes the TS2000 rear panel audio input; Then transmit audio is accepted only from the TS2000 front panel Mic connector. This is working exactly as designed and documented by Kenwood from day one and was not modified in any subsequent firmware update. Since the rear panel audio input signal is disabled, the TxMon feature sends nothing to the speaker. The pre-selected defaults for WSJTx that appear when the user runs the setup and chooses Knwd TS2000 as the radio model would have worked correctly from the beginning (which at my station was WSJTx 1.8 a few years ago).

The good news is that you have no less than two other methods to get your TS-2000 setup working properly with WSJTx: These two are my first thoughts, and others here probably have even better ways to get you on the air again. So dig out your TS2000 manual and thumb back to page 95 for interfacing an MCP or TNC to the radio.

Method 1) In WSJT change the Radio PTT setting to VOX, DO NOT USE CAT!! Remember, a CAT PTT or a station PTT (pin 13) will ALWAYS mute the rear panel ACCY2 jack audio input and unmute the front panel mic jack.
OR
Method 2)
If uou MUST use an RTS PTT signal instead of VOX, rewire your RTS PTT lead to pin 9 of the rear panel ACCY2 jack, used for PKS or Packet Send. The corresponding transmitter audio input is PKD or Packet Data. NOTE: That is the ONLY point you can apply the PTT signal and get modulation routed into the transmitter. The ground return for both lines is pin 8 or pin 12 on the 13-pin DIN connector.
CAUTION: The 13-pin DIN plug can be inserted upside down without causing smoke. Ignore any arrows on the molded plug body. Check it visually! Again, be sure you disable CAT control and use only the VOX or PTT option in WSJTx.

MIKE W9MDB -
Stefan's issue has nothing to do with the recent updates or any coding of Hamlib inside WSJTx, It is simply a peculiarity of the Kenwood TS2000.station which has been known since the rig debuted over two decades ago. Indeed, Stefan CAN'T use any source of CAT commands to get WSJTx transmitting in his station. CAT is itself the root cause of his missing Tx audio problem.

73 & gud DX in Cycle 25
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@arrl.net

Don Roden

Do NOT use CAT

Do NOT use CAT

Do NOT use CAT

All TS-2000 owners !!

Do NOT use CAT

W4DNR

On 2022-01-23 3:19 pm, Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB wrote:

STEFAN -
[...]

I thought the Front/Read panel connector buttons in WSJT-X would work.

But I see it's greyed out for the TS-2000....I'll need to fix that....

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, January 23, 2022, 03:58:18 PM CST, Don Roden <donroden@hiwaay.net> wrote:

Do NOT use CAT

Do NOT use CAT

Do NOT use CAT

All TS-2000 owners !!

Do NOT use CAT

W4DNR

On 2022-01-23 3:19 pm, Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB wrote:

STEFAN -

[...]

It might be an option for a "Rig Blaster" type interface that uses the front panel mike connector and a switchbox before the microphone.input connector. It seems ( to me ) a waste of a well thought out method of feeding dissimilar levels to the TS2000. But different strokes ................

W4DNR

On 2022-01-23 3:19 pm, Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB wrote:

STEFAN -
[...]

Try this DLL -- this is the 64-bit version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0
And use the Rear/Data selection which should now be enabled.
32-bit version will be available later tonight dated 20220124 here: http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/
Mike W9MDB

Michael Black

And I should mention this is for CAT mode.Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, January 23, 2022, 04:35:28 PM CST, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Try this DLL -- this is the 64-bit version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0
And use the Rear/Data selection which should now be enabled.
32-bit version will be available later tonight dated 20220124 here: http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/
Mike W9MDB

Reino Talarmo

A more correct advice is *Do NOT use CAT for PTT*!
Otherwise CAT control is a recommended and working solution.

73, Reino OH3mA

Stefan U. Hegner

Hi Reino,

Am 24.01.22 um 08:17 schrieb Reino Talarmo:
A more correct advice is *Do NOT use CAT for PTT*!
Otherwise CAT control is a recommended and working solution.
Correct.

And that is what I stated in my post.

I use a separte serial port with RTS for PTT and this works. - Up to 2.3.1.

@Karl: This corresponds to your method #2 and it is a wsjt-x issue with
newer versions.

Yesterday I rolled back and forth between 2.3.1. and 2.5.4 several times
to check various things. Back on 2.3.1 all is fine. - So it's nothing to
do with my wiring.

In Versions 2.4.x up I can wire the audio through the front mic-jack to
make it work. But that is very unpractical, as I always have to change
the wiring when swapping between digimodes and SSB.

Thanks again an 73

Stefan.

--
Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de>
* * *
DB4ST --- German Ham Radio Station
D-32584 Löhne ----- Locator JO42IE
* * *
GPG-Key | C3CC 23A4 FBA8 622B 48AE
F-Print | 4F19 D0EE E39E ABDC 2BCE

Stefan U. Hegner

Hi Michael,

thanks for the effort, but that does me no good. - I'm on Ubuntu Linux,
not Windows.

Vy73

Stefan.

Am 24.01.22 um 00:07 schrieb Michael Black via groups.io:

And I should mention this is for CAT mode.Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, January 23, 2022, 04:35:28 PM CST, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Try this DLL -- this is the 64-bit version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0
And use the Rear/Data selection which should now be enabled.
32-bit version will be available later tonight dated 20220124 here: http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/
Mike W9MDB

--
Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de>
* * *
DB4ST --- German Ham Radio Station
D-32584 Löhne ----- Locator JO42IE
* * *
GPG-Key | C3CC 23A4 FBA8 622B 48AE
F-Print | 4F19 D0EE E39E ABDC 2BCE

Roger

On 23/01/2022 21:58, Don Roden wrote:
Do NOT use CAT
Do NOT use CAT
Do NOT use CAT
All TS-2000 owners !!
Do NOT use CAT
W4DNR
Please provide an explanation for this statement.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
moderator

Michael Black

Here's a replacement 64-bit shared library file for you
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fgebrpy9wgij73/libhamlib.so.4.0.5?dl=0

Should just need to do an "ldconfig" after copying it in-place.
/usr/lib/libhamlib.so should point to the 4.0.5 shared library
Mike W9MDB

On Monday, January 24, 2022, 03:04:51 AM CST, Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike,

... got a different path (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu) but that should be OK.

So far I have no libhamlib.so.4* in my system. - In the download section
of the wsjtx-page
<https://www.physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html> it does not
specify the need for any other "non-of-the-shelf" hamlib-version so far,
but says that the downloadable .deb ist for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (which I am
running). ... This confuses me a bit. - Did I miss out on something?

However:

* after coping in and running ldconfig I get the following for the links:

# ls -la libhamlib*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    86776 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib++.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5248606 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       20 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib++.so ->
libhamlib++.so.2.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       18 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib.so ->
libhamlib.so.2.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       20 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib++.so.2 ->
libhamlib++.so.2.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       18 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib.so.2 ->
libhamlib.so.2.1.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    55456 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib++.so.2.1.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3547336 Feb 18  2020 libhamlib.so.2.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       18 Jan 24 17:06 libhamlib.so.4 ->
libhamlib.so.4.0.5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17443168 Jan 24 17:04 libhamlib.so.4.0.5

... so it links to libhamlib.so.4. Shall I move this to libhamlib.so?
... and then reinstall wsjtx-2.54 and test again ... right?

Vy73

Stefan.

Am 23.01.22 um 23:01 schrieb Michael Black via groups.io:
I thought the Front/Read panel connector buttons in WSJT-X would work.
I think they do ... unless you use CAT for PTT ...

73

Stefan.

--
Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de>
* * *
DB4ST --- German Ham Radio Station
D-32584 Löhne ----- Locator JO42IE
* * *
GPG-Key | C3CC 23A4 FBA8 622B 48AE
F-Print | 4F19 D0EE E39E ABDC 2BCE

Michael Black

You don't need to reinstall anything.
Looks like you just need to replace the libhamlib.so.4.0.5
At that point WSJT-X should have the Front/Rear port buttons enabled.
Mike W(MDB

On Monday, January 24, 2022, 10:15:02 AM CST, Stefan U. Hegner <db4st@darc.de> wrote:

[...]

The problem with being unable to select Rear/Front ports in WSJT-X Rig Control tab should be fixed in the latest DLL.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/

===========================================================New hamlib for Windows installation directions
#1 Shut down WSJTX/JTDX
#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX/JTDX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.
If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in \WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll
#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.
If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk
Mike W9MDB

Am 24.01.22 um 17:23 schrieb Michael Black via groups.io:
You don't need to reinstall anything.
Looks like you just need to replace the libhamlib.so.4.0.5
... there was no libhamlib.so.4* before. It was the one from you.

The link to libhamlib.so.4 was created by ldconfig.

At that point WSJT-X should have the Front/Rear port buttons enabled.
No matter, whether I left it like that, or additionally linked
libhamlib.so to libhamlib.so.4.0.5, when changing the rig from Net-rig
to TS-2000, I see no change in for the front/rear panel selection ...
still greyed out.

Vy73

Stefan

On 2022-01-24 4:11 am, Roger wrote:

On 23/01/2022 21:58, Don Roden wrote
All TS-2000 owners !!
Do NOT use CAT
W4DNR
Please provide an explanation for this statement.
73
Roger
GW4HZA
moderator
Roger and Group,
PSK31 was developed and named by English amateur radio operator Peter Martinez (call sign [1] G3PLX) and introduced to the wider amateur radio community in December 1998.
About the same time frame, Kenwood introduced the TS-2000. Which at the time was the most complete dual receiver multi-mode transceiver ever produced.
The designer of the TS-2000, seeing the usefulness of sound card modes like pSK-31 and later WSJTX added a second PTT input on the ACC Jack that turned off the front panel microphone input and enabled a rear panel sound card input also on the ACC Jack.
A sound card designer, Tigertronix / Signalink built a PTT output into their product triggered by the sound card audio. They took advantage of Kenwood's mike / aux audio selection by selecting the correct ACC pin to feed data PTT and data into the rear of the TS-2000.
Basically a plug-and-play solution for TS-2000 owners wanting to use PSK-31 and later on any other sound card program for RTTY or WSJTX.
IF a TS-2000 owner that is new to WSJTX wants to try FT8 or FT4, CAT control sounds like the "logical" way to send PTT to the TS-2000...... *Except* CAT control turns on the front panel microphone...... and defeats the expected rear panel audio input.
"I see the PTT light but no output power on my TS-2000."
is a typical response from new users when using CAT to control the PTT on the TS-2000.
My response : Don't use CAT.
W4DNR

Links:
------
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio#Call_signs

Michael Black

As I have said -- the new hamlib dll will fix this problem and enable the Front/Rear port selectors for the TS-2000.
Mike W9MDB