locked K4 running FT8 Fox Hound question spit, fake it , none ? #Elecraft

Becky siiloot

Need help here.

I set up my K4 for FT8 per excellent instructions and it works fine. The settings require

My question/problem is running fox hound.

When I try to run F/H, WSJT-X prompts me with this usually requires split or fake it in the settings.

I have set it to none as per the guide.

Do I change this for fox hound or leave it.

Will F/H work if it is checked for none and not fake it or split ?

Tks ,

Gerry

K1NY

Bill, WB6JJJ

Gerry,
Fox/Hound mode requires that your transmit frequency start above 1000 Hz. Then when the Fox calls you, the program will move you to a lower frequency, on or near his. If you have your setting set to NONE then the program cannot move you down to below 1000 Hz to complete the QSO. So yes, Fake It or Split is required.

Good luck,
Bill
WB6JJJ

I set up my K4 for FT8 per excellent instructions and it works fine. The settings require

My question/problem is running fox hound.

When I try to run F/H, WSJT-X prompts me with this usually requires split or fake it in the settings.

I have set it to none as per the guide.

Do I change this for fox hound or leave it.

Will F/H work if it is checked for none and not fake it or split ?

Tks ,

Gerry

K1NY

Jim Shorney

I don't know if anything has changed recently but I have made many fox contacts on a radio that does not have CAT at all. The program auto-QSYed the audio down as advertised and it worked fine.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:28:02 -0800
"Bill, WB6JJJ" <bill@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary - AG0N

On Nov 30, 2022, at 18:59, Jim Shorney <jimNU0C@...> wrote:

I don't know if anything has changed recently but I have made many fox contacts on a radio that does not have CAT at all. The program auto-QSYed the audio down as advertised and it worked fine.
Those are likely MSHV contact, not F/H. Split operation is a requirement of F/H to work.

Gary - AG0N

Jim Shorney

No Gary. These were actual Fox/Hound contacts on FH frequencies. I've been doing this for a while.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:37:36 -0700
"Gary - AG0N" <wb0kkm@...> wrote:

On Nov 30, 2022, at 18:59, Jim Shorney <jimNU0C@...> wrote:

I don't know if anything has changed recently but I have made many fox contacts on a radio that does not have CAT at all. The program auto-QSYed the audio down as advertised and it worked fine.
Those are likely MSHV contact, not F/H. Split operation is a requirement of F/H to work.

Gary - AG0N

Stan Gammons

I have the same rig Jim has, Drake TR7,  and used it for Fox/Hound too
before I started using my IC-7300 and TS-590SG. I mostly use my TS-590SG
now.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

"Gary - AG0N" <wb0kkm@...> wrote:

On Nov 30, 2022, at 18:59, Jim Shorney <jimNU0C@...> wrote:

I don't know if anything has changed recently but I have made many fox contacts on a radio that does not have CAT at all. The program auto-QSYed the audio down as advertised and it worked fine.
Those are likely MSHV contact, not F/H. Split operation is a requirement of F/H to work.

Gary - AG0N

Michael Black

It will still work in None but Rig Split is the preferred way.  Fake It is a backup for when Rig Split doesn't work on the rig.

Mike W9MDB

On 1 December 2022, at 07:08, "Michael Black via groups.io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:

It will still work in None but Rig Split is the preferred way.  Fake It is a backup for when Rig Split doesn't work on the rig.
Mike W9MDB
To explain: Using split more None need not involve any CAT control. The FH frequency adjustments can be controlled totally by audio only.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA