Topics

Impossible to choose Left / Right audio input #AudioIssues #BugReport

Henk PA0C

It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and 2.4.0 rc1.
Both audio channels have the same content.
Using USB audio input.

Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB microphone input.
They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)

Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel settings make no difference)

Did try other USB ports of the PC.
I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
Did a new install on a separate laptop.

All with no result.

Alan G4ZFQ

Henk

It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. Using USB audio input.
Works for me on 2.3.0.
Have you got the Sound Properties configured correctly?
Sometimes a "Mic" is mono, you have to get "Line In" working.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-02-23 4:54 AM, Henk PA0C wrote:
It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and
2.4.0 rc1.
Both audio channels have the same content.
Using USB audio input.
Works as designed here using K3 and microHAM MK III.

Suggest you investigate your audio device and Windows settings further.
Microphone inputs are notorious for ignoring settings and operating in
single channel mode. Consider replacing the audio device with one
that has a *LINE* (dual channel) input.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-02-23 4:54 AM, Henk PA0C wrote:
It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and 2.4.0 rc1.
Both audio channels have the same content.
Using USB audio input.
Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB microphone input.
They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)
Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel settings make no difference)
Did try other USB ports of the PC.
I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
Did a new install on a separate laptop.
All with no result.

Bill Somerville

On 23/02/2021 09:54, Henk PA0C wrote:
It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and 2.4.0 rc1.
Both audio channels have the same content.
Using USB audio input.

Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB microphone input.
They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)

Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel settings make no difference)

Did try other USB ports of the PC.
I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
Did a new install on a separate laptop.

All with no result.
Henk,

I have just double-checked this using a tone generated by Audacity and played by through VAC to WSJT-X. I can select left channel input in "Settings->Audio" and swing the playback balance in Audacity from left to right and see the level at maximum in WSJT-X when the balance is fully left, and minimum level (silence) when the balance is fully right. Conversely when I select the right channel for input in "Settings->Audio" I see maximum and minimum levels in WSJT-X with balance right and left respectively.

Stereo input channel selection is definitely working in WSJT-X, something is wrong with your setup if you are not getting that.

Henk PA0C

Bill,

Good to hear there is no problem in WSJT.

However, my problem is WSJT specific.
All other applications work OK with the same WIN10 settings/ports.

So the question becomes:
- where and in what files do I find the specific WSJT audio settings.

I presume I have to dig into those to get my problem resolved.

73 Henk

Henk

> It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and
> 2.4.0 rc1.
> Both audio channels have the same content.
> Using USB audio input.
>
> Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB
> microphone input.
> They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)
>
> Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel
> settings make no difference)
>
> Did try other USB ports of the PC.
> I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB
> audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
> Did a new install on a separate laptop.
>
> All with no result.

Henk,

I have just double-checked this using a tone generated by Audacity and
played by through VAC to WSJT-X. I can select left channel input in
"Settings->Audio" and swing the playback balance in Audacity from left
to right and see the level at maximum in WSJT-X when the balance is
fully left, and minimum level (silence) when the balance is fully right.
Conversely when I select the right channel for input in
"Settings->Audio" I see maximum and minimum levels in WSJT-X with
balance right and left respectively.

Stereo input channel selection is definitely working in WSJT-X,
something is wrong with your setup if you are not getting that.

Henk,

several other users and I have confirmed that WSJT-X correctly reads from stereo channels as specified in the "Settings->Audio" panel. My test was rigorous and found no fault in the implementation. Yo do not need to refer to any files, the WSJT-X audio channel settings are visible and adjustable by you the user in the "Settings->Audio" panel.

To resolve your issue you must investigate your setup outside of WSJT-X, the problem does not lie within the WSJT-X impelemention.

On 23/02/2021 18:13, Henk PA0C wrote:
Bill,

Good to hear there is no problem in WSJT.

However, my problem is WSJT specific.
All other applications work OK with the same WIN10 settings/ports.

So the question becomes:
- where and in what files do I find the specific WSJT audio settings.

I presume I have to dig into those to get my problem resolved.

73 Henk

Henk

> It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and
> 2.4.0 rc1.
> Both audio channels have the same content.
> Using USB audio input.
>
> Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB
> microphone input.
> They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)
>
> Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel
> settings make no difference)
>
> Did try other USB ports of the PC.
> I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB
> audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
> Did a new install on a separate laptop.
>
> All with no result.

Henk,

I have just double-checked this using a tone generated by Audacity and
played by through VAC to WSJT-X. I can select left channel input in
"Settings->Audio" and swing the playback balance in Audacity from left
to right and see the level at maximum in WSJT-X when the balance is
fully left, and minimum level (silence) when the balance is fully right.
Conversely when I select the right channel for input in
"Settings->Audio" I see maximum and minimum levels in WSJT-X with
balance right and left respectively.

Stereo input channel selection is definitely working in WSJT-X,
something is wrong with your setup if you are not getting that.

Reino Talarmo

Henk,

Just for interest which USB audio device you are using for your USB input? Is it a rig, Signalink or similar or some audio dongle? If the last one, which type or maker?

73, Reino OH3mA

> It is not possible to choose Left or Right audio channel in 2.3.0. and
> 2.4.0 rc1.
> Both audio channels have the same content.
> Using USB audio input.
>
> Other applications have no difficulty using the same L/R USB
> microphone input.
> They see a clear difference between L and R input (and can select one)
>
> Mic. is set fot 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz. (but other 2 channel
> settings make no difference)
>
> Did try other USB ports of the PC.
> I deleted all WSJT instances, cleaned the register, removed all USB
> audio ports (hidden and shown), restarted several times.
> Did a new install on a separate laptop.
>
> All with no result.

Henk,

I have just double-checked this using a tone generated by Audacity and
played by through VAC to WSJT-X. I can select left channel input in
"Settings->Audio" and swing the playback balance in Audacity from left
to right and see the level at maximum in WSJT-X when the balance is
fully left, and minimum level (silence) when the balance is fully right.
Conversely when I select the right channel for input in
"Settings->Audio" I see maximum and minimum levels in WSJT-X with
balance right and left respectively.

Stereo input channel selection is definitely working in WSJT-X,
something is wrong with your setup if you are not getting that.

Henk PA0C

Hi Rieno

I am using a K3s with USB audio out.
The K3s has a main and sub receiver with separate L and R audio.
73 Henk

Hi Rieno
Van: Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...>
Datum: 23-02-2021 20:05 (GMT+01:00)

Henk,

Just for interest which USB audio device you are using for your USB input? Is it a rig, Signalink or similar or some audio dongle? If the last one, which type or maker?

73, Reino OH3mA

Henk PA0C

Hi Joe

It is not a K3s issue.

Other applications using K3 main/sub audio are working fine.
It is only WSJT that gives no difference between L and R audio.
The other applications do that on the same USB port without problems.

73 Henk

On 2021-02-23 3:06 PM, Henk PA0C wrote:
> Hi Rieno
> I am using a K3s with USB audio out.
> The K3s has a main and sub receiver with separate L and R audio.
> 73 Henk

Henk PA0C

Hi Bruce

2 channel audio is selected, same as you indicated.
Two instances of MSHV run without any problem on L and R.
Only WSJT gives issues.
73 Henk