Icom 703+ and WSJT #icom703

Robert Newell

Introduction - Colin VA7WWV up in the Northwest - mentored by VE7SL of Mayne Island.

Just getting my Windows 10 set up with WSJT - using RigBlaster Plug n' play for CAT control
(Also have a SignalLink USB that I have not tried yet...)

Icom monitors and decodes and aggregates to PSKReporter just fine --
WSJT is not triggering transmit in the ICOM - which I imagine is a common thing -

I have some LINUX powered laptops - I may give Linux a whirl as it often "just works" with less fuss.

Thank you in advance for any other ICOM 703+ users out there.

73

Joe Subich, W4TV

IC-703 is of an age that does not support PTT via CAT command.

Configure your RigBlaster P&P to support *hardware* PTT on the
RTS Line of the CI-V port and configure WSJTX for PTT on RTS
*OF THE CAT PORT*.

You will need to connect the miniDIN-6 cable from RB P&P to
the DATA jack on the 703 for audio in/audio out and *PTT*.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-09 5:16 PM, Robert Newell wrote:
Introduction - Colin VA7WWV up in the Northwest - mentored by VE7SL of Mayne Island.
Just getting my Windows 10 set up with WSJT - using RigBlaster Plug n' play for CAT control
(Also have a SignalLink USB that I have not tried yet...)
Icom monitors and decodes and aggregates to PSKReporter just fine --
WSJT is not triggering transmit in the ICOM - which I imagine is a common thing -
I have some LINUX powered laptops - I may give Linux a whirl as it often "just works" with less fuss.
Thank you in advance for any other ICOM 703+ users out there.
73

Karza

Hi Colin,

Introduction - Colin VA7WWV up in the Northwest - mentored by VE7SL of Mayne Island.

Just getting my Windows 10 set up with WSJT - using RigBlaster Plug n' play for CAT control
(Also have a SignalLink USB that I have not tried yet...)

Icom monitors and decodes and aggregates to PSKReporter just fine --
WSJT is not triggering transmit in the ICOM - which I imagine is a common thing -

I have some LINUX powered laptops - I may give Linux a whirl as it often "just works" with less fuss.

Here is one happy Linux user by his IC-703. Worka a treat wiht no fuss.

I'm using the xggcomms USB-1 interface for audio and CAT.

How is your PTT-Method set in in WSJT-X?  For IC-703 it needs to be RTS.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Robert Newell

Many thanks!

73 - VA7WWV

Robert Newell

Thank you as well!

VA7WWV

Don Melcher

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:29 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
IC-703 is of an age that does not support PTT via CAT command.

That is incorrect. The 706 is of that age, but the 703 indeed supports CAT PTT. I use the 13 pin ACC Connector. Just be sure to remove the mic.

--
Don
W6CZ/W6ZB

Don Melcher

IC-703 is of an age that does not support PTT via CAT command.

That is incorrect. The 703 indeed supports PTT via a CI-V CAT command. The 706 series does not.
--
Don
W6CZ/W6ZB

Joe Subich, W4TV

I use the 13 pin ACC Connector. Just be sure to remove the mic.
If you would use SSB-D you would not need to remove the mic (Note:
on page 69 of the IC703 Instruction Manual).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 06:11 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
If you would use SSB-D you would not need to remove the mic (Note:
on page 69 of the IC703 Instruction Manual).
Old habits. I have lots of cables with 13 pin and lots of 13 pin connectors on hand from my days selling SCS modems. They’re a lot easier to solder to then Mini-DIN.

--
Don
W6CZ/W6ZB

Robert Newell

The ICOM 703+ is now on the air and talking nicely with my Lenovo laptop -

All the advice was perfect - needed a couple of tweaks in my settings and I was good
to go.

Many thank you's to all the folks that jumped in so quickly.

Colin - VA7WWV - CN88

Joe Subich, W4TV

Old habits. I have lots of cables with 13 pin and lots of 13 pin
connectors on hand from my days selling SCS modems.
According to the manual, SSB-D works with the ACC (13 pin DIN)
connector.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-11 9:10 AM, Don Melcher wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 06:11 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

If you would use SSB-D you would not need to remove the mic (Note:
on page 69 of the IC703 Instruction Manual).
Old habits. I have lots of cables with 13 pin and lots of 13 pin connectors on hand from my days selling SCS modems. They’re a lot easier to solder to then Mini-DIN.
--
Don
W6CZ/W6ZB
DM07bk

Don Melcher

Yes. I forgot about SSB-D - another subtle difference between it and the 706.
--
Don
W6CZ/W6ZB