From: "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <stewart.g0lgs@...>
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 7:05:10 AM
Subject: [WSJTX] Help: Ubuntu 20.04 Audio settings for IC7300 and IC9700 #linux

Can anyone point in me in the direction of some guidance for setting up the audio with either IC7300 or IC9700 in Ubuntu 20.04 ?

I don't seem to be able to get it behaving - I either get the Tx audio coming out the LapTop speakers or none at all.

Also Linux keeps changing the system sound to use the Radio devices each time I plug them in.

Andy_501

I am using ubuntu 20.04LTS also with an IC-7300 and even though the settings look right I found a couple of things out about it that might be useful.

Disable automatic device switching
  1. edit the file /etc/pulse/default.pa.
  2. find the line load-module module-switch-on-port-available.
  3. insert a # at the beginning of the line to disable automatic port switching.
  4. save file and exit editor.
  5. type pulseaudio -k to reload configuration.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiy1pyOlvnuAhVPtZ4KHcDqADsQFjABegQIBRAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Faskubuntu.com%2Fquestions%2F1061414%2Fhow-to-disable-pulseaudio-automatic-device-switch&usg=AOvVaw0J4UHGowKGjXDAHDxl-Mld

When I power down the radio only it seemed to stay proper; but if I powered down the rigs power supply also that completely disabled the USB port from the IC-7300 and ubuntu then switched devices around. Using the disable steps above was a help.

Another useful item was adding a launch icon to the Pulse Audio Volume Control app to the taskbar so that I can open it and confirm the input, output, recording assignments are all correctly assigned. I run all three browsers at the same time in different workspaces  Chrome opens qrz.com HamQTH.net pskReporter RBN as well as eQSL and LoTW tabs; Chromium opens home security CCTV monitors, CBC Gem and U-Tube news channels subscriptions, and Firefox is open for normal researching and some email like THunderbird. Now each of these show up in the PAVU listing when you open it so you can assign any audio from then to an appropriate sound output you want. I found they get changed around when changes are left automatic and the rig is powered up/down as described. So it is handy to have available to check and verify everything set up the way you need it to be. I have a Mackie 8CH mixer board with USB i/o built in that gets treated as a sound device (ie eg 2309) and the ICOM usb shows as 2301 a default shows up for the onboard motherboard built in sound card and the hdmi port that feeds the monitor with built in sound bar also shows up as a device. So it is great useful tool to have PAVU open to ensure the right sound devices are assigned to correct programs etc.

I also found running FLDigi, JTDX and WSJT-x that sound devices and associated names can be slightly different as well and it is a helpful tool in deciding what to device spec to pick when setting those programs up for audio devices as well. In those cases shutting down the power supply say at the end of an operating session of course auto configures all the devices and when you return the next morning you notice the devices arent right so just a word to the wise. Once I learned to leave the rig PS on when shutting down and disabled the autoswitching devices it seems to have settled down to where each different program can be launched and have a reasonable expectation that all will start running with correct device configs working.

my 2 cents FWIW

73 & Gud DX

Andy VE4PER

On 2021-02-20 11:03 a.m., ve4cy wrote:
Attached is a screen shot of the audio settings I'm using with my IC-9700 and my Ubuntu based Linux distro.

73 de Jim VE4CY

Can anyone point in me in the direction of some guidance for setting up the audio with either IC7300 or IC9700 in Ubuntu 20.04 ?

I don't seem to be able to get it behaving - I either get the Tx audio coming out the LapTop speakers or none at all.

Also Linux keeps changing the system sound to use the Radio devices each time I plug them in.

Pa3gcu

Hi Stewart.

I have been playing with different radios and devices on linux this week, i find that things change every time one reboots,
However i have found that my IC705 which i have to define as a IC7300 (at least with wsjtx 2.1.2 and 2.2.2) works well
with the following devices;
Input; = alsa_input.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_AUDIO_CODEC-00.analog-sterio
Output = als_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_AUDIO_CODEC-00.analog-sterio

You may well see a difference from Jim's (VE4CY) possibly because he has a IC-9700 or he uses some or other
sound configuration device.
On another note, i see you mention 2 different radio's, i wonder do you run both at the same time under 20.04??.
If so i would be very interested to hear just how you configure the system as i have enormous trouble when i try to
run my FT950 together with a Microham MKIII keyer and the IC705 using it's internal codec's.

Anyway hope this help's.
Regards Richard PA3GCU.

Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io schreef op 20 feb '21:

Can anyone point in me in the direction of some guidance for setting up the audio with either IC7300 or IC9700 in Ubuntu 20.04 ?

I don't seem to be able to get it behaving - I either get the Tx audio coming out the LapTop speakers or none at all.

Also Linux keeps changing the system sound to use the Radio devices each time I plug them in.

John N9ZL

Hi Richard,

I run 3 radios at once, an IC-7600, an IC-7300 and an IC-9700 in 3 different instances of WSJT-X 2.4.0-rc1 with Linux Mint 20.1 (based on Ubuntu).  I use the --rig-name option on the command line as explained in the manual for running multiple instances.  The radios are all USB connected.

I have lots of problems managing the sound devices.  They change names, configs that worked fine for days suddenly stop working, sound cards disappear from the list, the 2m IC-7900 instance will suddenly start displaying the same 40m audio that the IC-7600 is displaying after having worked fine for hours.  Weirdness like that.  Sometimes they work fine all day.

Part of the config confusion is due to how linux manages USB audio devices.  The names WSJT uses for the audio devices will vary depending on the order in which the devices are discovered by the OS.  So depending on what order you plug them in, the audio names will move around between different radios.  They should always get discovered after a reboot the same order, so make sure everything is plugged in and turned on before rebooting.

I've tried using the Burr-Brown settings you listed below but I find after a while they will sometimes suddenly stop working, and then go missing in WSJT-X even after a reboot.

I have better luck with the hw:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0 entries for both transmit and receive.  But the system volume control doesn't appear to change the levels on those devices.  That can be a problem on the IC-7600 since output USB level can't be changed on the radio so the level stays in the red, but it seems to work.   I change the USB levels in the other radios themselves where possible.  The CODEC card name changes for each radio.  CODEC for the first, CODEC_1 for the second, CODEC_2 for the third.

"head -1 /proc/asound/CODEC/stream0"  "head -1 /proc/asound/CODEC_1/stream0" and "head -1 /proc/asound/CODEC_2/stream0" is useful to me in figuring out which USB port is assigned to which sound device when using the hw:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0 device.

Also, a hint for reliable CAT control on linux Mint/Ubuntu, use the names in /dev/serial/by-id for the CAT control.  These entries have the model of the radio in the name, and they link to the correct /dev/tty devices even when they get reordered.

73, John N9ZL

On 2/20/21 2:43 PM, Pa3gcu wrote:

[...]

Hi John and the group.

I have the same problems here, i am not a linux wizard however the was things work rather calls for a wizard to
solve the problems. Gone back the that ollie saying, Read The FINE Manual, however the manuals do not in general
explain the "gotyaa's" which seem to be messing things up.
I edited /etc/pulse/default.pa and commented out "load-module module-switch-on-port-available" and i did what the manual
tells one to do, pulseaudio -k and after that wsjtx moans and spits out error's about sound cards.
I tried a few things to get back the correct sound card however i ended up rebooting and and Bob was my uncle again.

You mentioned that sometimes you see the same decodes on all devices, well i have seen that on win 10 as well but,
i must say not often but i have definitely seen it 3 times what or which program or device is causing it i don't know.
I have log4om running with 2 instances of wsjtx version 2.2.2 using omnirig, grid tracker does receiving and sending of data.

Have a nice day. 73 Richard.

On 2/20/21 2:43 PM, Pa3gcu wrote:

[...]

Kenneth Williams

Although I have not been right on other suggestions, let me give a shot at this problem.
In linux, devices, such as USB devices, can be given custom 'dev' names using udev naming rules.
I do not have a USB connected radio but I have dealt with the situation where I have had multiple instances of a USB dongle (in this case a debugger) connected to my linux machine.  In order to make sure that I am talking to the right one, and that they always came up with consistent names, I used udev rules to force the creation of a unique name based on certain attributes of the connected device.

I know that I am not explaining how to do this, and I don't think that I could do this blind, but I wanted to provide a pointer to a possible resolution to this problem.  My suggestion from this point would be to find your local linux person that is knowledgeable in this area and bring them to your place to help you with this.

Regards

Ken
KC6PUQ

Bill Somerville

Hi John, Richard, and Stewart,

have any of you tried something like the answer to this question:

It seems the ID_PATH_TAG variable available to udev rules can be used to name audio devices according to the physical hub and port paths where they are plugged in.

On 2/20/21 2:43 PM, Pa3gcu wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for that link.  That's exactly what I was looking for to modify the audio device names.  I used the udev rule verbatim from that article and it worked to change my audio device names in WSJTX so I can tell which is which.

I changed WSJTX to use the new device names, and all 3 instances are getting audio from the right radios.  2 of them are transmitting, one is transmitting silence.

I went into the audio control to adjust the hot level on one receiver, and as soon as I came out, all 3 radios were receiving duplicate audio from that one source I adjusted.  I rebooted, and things went back to 3 good receive, 2 good send audio.

So audio weirdness continues, but at least now I know I'm configured using the right devices.  One step at a time.

73, John N9ZL

On 2/20/21 2:43 PM, Pa3gcu wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill.

Well it seems that helps a little, the first radio starts with the correct audio settings, however the second radio gets the same audio device as the first and when i try to change the audio device the correct audio device is not to be found. If i turn off the device then back on again then i see the correct audio device and can then change it to the correct device. Well i'll get there in the end.

Thanks again. Regards Richard PA3GCU.

--
Regards Richard PA3GCU.

Andy_501

Jim, here are sound setting for all three ham programs I am using ubuntustudio 20.04LTS OS and they all stay constant since I invoked the suppress auto USB device switching. Only glitch once in a while when changing between programs is when I launch WSJTX occasionally it freezes in state of no comm to icom; close WSJTX toggle rig on then off and re initialize CAT button on Rig Hamlib settings page solves that. Otherwise audio works great and consistently.

73 Gud DX  Andy ve4per

  <----FLDigi & IC-7300

<----WSJTX & IC7300

    <----JTDX & IC-7300

On 2021-02-20 11:03 a.m., ve4cy wrote:
Attached is a screen shot of the audio settings I'm using with my IC-9700 and my Ubuntu based Linux distro.

73 de Jim VE4CY

Can anyone point in me in the direction of some guidance for setting up the audio with either IC7300 or IC9700 in Ubuntu 20.04 ?

I don't seem to be able to get it behaving - I either get the Tx audio coming out the LapTop speakers or none at all.

Also Linux keeps changing the system sound to use the Radio devices each time I plug them in.

Stewart Wilkinson

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:51 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
have any of you tried something like the answer to this question:

It seems the ID_PATH_TAG variable available to udev rules can be used to name audio devices according to the physical hub and port paths where they are plugged in.
I've just looked at that and put the line in my existing udev rule that deals with creating symlinks for /dev/ic7300 and /dev/ic9700, but I do not see how that really helps.

Without the UDEV Rule I get:

pactl list sinks | grep Name
Name: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo
Name: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo.2

With it I get:

pactl list sinks | grep Name
Name: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.pci-0000_00_10_0-usb-0_2_4_1_0.analog-stereo
Name: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.pci-0000_00_10_0-usb-0_3_4_1_0.analog-stereo

The orignal names were too complex to start with.

If they could be renamed to something that has 'ic7300' or 'ic9700' that would be much better, but I suspect that is not possible.

Andy_501

I use ONLY usb connection between rig and PC. CI-V i/f cable to usb port not used.

On 22/02/2021 22:18, Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Stewart,

you have missed the point of that udev rule, the complexity of the names is of no relevance. What matters is that the rule ensures that so long as the USB connections of each rig are plugged into the same physical port of a USB hub and that hub in turn into the same physical port of any parent hub; then the audio devices names will *always* be the same. This is an essential requirement if you have multiple audio codecs using the same manufacture and device ids since it is the only way they can be reliably accessed without being dependent on power up, or plugging in, order. Once you have identified each audio device you can configure it in WSJT-X and it will never change unless you plug the rig into a different USB port or hub.

Stewart Wilkinson

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:52 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
you have missed the point of that udev rule, the complexity of the names is of no relevance
Thank you for pointing that out - I had missed that it means the names are consistent (as long as I use the same port) - even if very long.

I'll just have to rember which radio goes into which port when I next use them /P.