locked FT-100D data jack data in bandwidth issue using WSJT-X FT8? #Yaesu #transmit #frequency

wcurlew@juno.com

I have an FT-100D that I wanted to use for FT-8, along with an SL/1 signalink. I couldn't get any decent RF out of it in spite of cranking up the AFSK level in the FT-100D menu.. During my testing, I realized the issue was the "slot" frequency I was using. At >1000hz all was ducky and worked great, but I typically hang out in the 450-800hz space. In this space the RF output of the FT-100D is very weak (HF output level set for 50w, get between 0 and 20w depending on slot frequency. No responses to any CQ's or answers to other CQs)

Looking at the FT-100D schematic, there is what appears to be a bandpass limiting cap on the op amp (200nf), and doing the calcs, it really starts putting up a serious reactance at <1000hz.

Has anyone else seen this issue with radios that pre-date FT8 and it's ability to use lower data modulation frequencies? I think the radio is OK, but would love to hear from other folks on this issue before I start ripping it open.

Thanks,
Bill KC1JTS

Larry Banks

Hi Bill,

FT8 uses USB, not data.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 6/28/2022 19:49, wcurlew@... wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

Use "split" in WSJTX - either Radio or "Fake" it. Your tone will be
between 1500-2000 Hz regardless of selected DF (WSJTX takes care of
shifting TX Freq to compensate). Will give you appropriate output
from the rig *and* be much cleaner on the air.

73,

... Joe, W4TV