FT991A and MacOS #WSJTX_config #AudioIssues #NewUser #mac

Jeremy Stark

Hi,

I had some initial success with WSPR, but since then the software appears completely deaf on all modes; I think since I updated WSJT-X (it’s been a while since I played with it).

The MIDI setup volume sliders are greyed out at 0 volume, and the WSJT-X dB scale (lower left) shows 0dB all the time.

I don’t know what’s changed, and I can hear signals on the FT991A speaker.

I have tried setting the FT991A menus to various combinations as per various advice online, but am obviously missing something.

I am using MacOS 10.14.6, WSJT-X v2.3.0 0c42df, CAT control via USB (which works apart from the audio).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

--
Jeremy Stark
G7BHB

Bill Somerville

On 25/05/2021 20:27, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

I had some initial success with WSPR, but since then the software appears completely deaf on all modes; I think since I updated WSJT-X (it’s been a while since I played with it).

The MIDI setup volume sliders are greyed out at 0 volume, and the WSJT-X dB scale (lower left) shows 0dB all the time.

I don’t know what’s changed, and I can hear signals on the FT991A speaker.

I have tried setting the FT991A menus to various combinations as per various advice online, but am obviously missing something.

I am using MacOS 10.14.6, WSJT-X v2.3.0 0c42df, CAT control via USB (which works apart from the audio).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

--
Jeremy Stark
G7BHB

Hi Jeremy,

one thing to check is that WSJT-X has been authorized to use the microphone input in "System Preferences->Security".

Shane Carruth

Also check in your system settings that your output volume isn’t muted. I’ve had that happen to me a few times.

Shane Carruth

On May 25, 2021, at 13:38, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 25/05/2021 20:27, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

I had some initial success with WSPR, but since then the software appears completely deaf on all modes; I think since I updated WSJT-X (it’s been a while since I played with it).

The MIDI setup volume sliders are greyed out at 0 volume, and the WSJT-X dB scale (lower left) shows 0dB all the time.

<Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 11.32.47.png>

On 25 May 2021, at 21:02, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is set.

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

Jeremy Stark

Not muted.

The waterfall display isn’t showing anything either, but that’s not necessarily related.

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

On 26 May 2021, at 00:30, Shane Carruth <scarruth31@...> wrote:

[...]

I don’t know what’s going on here.

I lost the audio device and unplugged the USB, restarted the software with the USB back in. It was briefly working, including Tx. I stopped transmit, and then I couldn’t select “Enable Tx” again.

I restarted the software, and now it’s gone deaf again.

--
[...]

Brian Morrison

On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 11:06 +0100, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
I lost the audio device and unplugged the USB, restarted the software with the USB back in. It was briefly working, including Tx. I stopped transmit, and then I couldn’t select “Enable Tx” again.

I think you should install the new GA version 2.4.0 as you are actually now 2 releases behind. There are some bugs fixed relating to this sort of problem so it would be better to assess it again with the fixed code.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Jeremy Stark

I installed 2.4.0 and it worked for a while, including the waterfall display.

However, it has now gone deaf again.

--
Jeremy G7BHB

On 26 May 2021, at 13:21, Brian Morrison <bdm@fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 11:06 +0100, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
I lost the audio device and unplugged the USB, restarted the software with the USB back in. It was briefly working, including Tx. I stopped transmit, and then I couldn’t select “Enable Tx” again.

I think you should install the new GA version 2.4.0 as you are actually now 2 releases behind. There are some bugs fixed relating to this sort of problem so it would be better to assess it again with the fixed code.

--

Brian G8SEZ

K3JRZ

Jeremy,

Check your audio settings in WSJT-X again. Sometimes macOS will add multiple USB sound card ports. I have to every once in a while change the SERIAL port that WSJT-X is listening to under Preferences - Radio.

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

Bill Somerville

Hi Jeff, and Jeremy,

you can get more certainty of audio device naming and selection on macOS by creating an aggregate audio device, then assign your rig's audio devices to it. You can name the aggregate device as to desire, and select that in WSJT-X. This is most useful when you have multiple rigs with in-built USB audio codecs, but can of course be used with a single radio as well.

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ

Jeremy Stark

I created an aggregate device, and selected it in WSJT-X. I can hear there are signals present on the radio, but the software is not showing anything.

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

On 17 Jun 2021, at 08:57, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Jeff, and Jeremy,

you can get more certainty of audio device naming and selection on macOS by creating an aggregate audio device, then assign your rig's audio devices to it. You can name the aggregate device as to desire, and select that in WSJT-X. This is most useful when you have multiple rigs with in-built USB audio codecs, but can of course be used with a single radio as well.

Hi Jeremy,

have you assigned the necessary rig USB audio codec devices to the new aggregate device?

On 18/06/2021 15:53, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
I created an aggregate device, and selected it in WSJT-X. I can hear there are signals present on the radio, but the software is not showing anything.

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

On 17 Jun 2021, at 08:57, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Jeff, and Jeremy,

you can get more certainty of audio device naming and selection on macOS by creating an aggregate audio device, then assign your rig's audio devices to it. You can name the aggregate device as to desire, and select that in WSJT-X. This is most useful when you have multiple rigs with in-built USB audio codecs, but can of course be used with a single radio as well.

Jeremy Stark

Yes, I did.

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

On 18 Jun 2021, at 20:44, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

have you assigned the necessary rig USB audio codec devices to the new aggregate device?

On 18/06/2021 15:53, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
I created an aggregate device, and selected it in WSJT-X. I can hear there are signals present on the radio, but the software is not showing anything.

<Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 15.51.19.png><Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 15.51.30.png>

--
Jeremy
G7BHB

On 17 Jun 2021, at 08:57, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Jeff, and Jeremy,

you can get more certainty of audio device naming and selection on macOS by creating an aggregate audio device, then assign your rig's audio devices to it. You can name the aggregate device as to desire, and select that in WSJT-X. This is most useful when you have multiple rigs with in-built USB audio codecs, but can of course be used with a single radio as well.

Hi Jeremy,

OK, aggregate devices have always worked  just like other audio devices for me, I don't know why they are not working for you.

On 22/06/2021 23:08, Jeremy Stark via groups.io wrote:
Yes, I did.