locked FT8 Exhange #FT8 #general #NewUser

Michael Wacker

I am having trouble completing the exchange in a FT8 QSO. It seems I just go back and forth many times exchanging signal reports without making it to the 73 portion to end the QSO. I assume I must have some settings incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike N3HR

William Smith

Sometimes that's how it goes, but if it happens a lot make sure you have 'hold Tx' checked and pick a clear spot on the waterfall for your transmissions, so you (and others) aren't trying to complete the QSO on the originator's frequency.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 18, 2022, at 4:42 PM, Michael Wacker <n3hr@...> wrote:

I am having trouble completing the exchange in a FT8 QSO. It seems I just go back and forth many times exchanging signal reports without making it to the 73 portion to end the QSO. I assume I must have some settings incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike N3HR

Michael Wacker

Thank you Willie, I will see if I have that checked.
Mike N3HR

On Aug 18, 2022, at 6:42 PM, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

Sometimes that's how it goes, but if it happens a lot make sure you have 'hold Tx' checked and pick a clear spot on the waterfall for your transmissions, so you (and others) aren't trying to complete the QSO on the originator's frequency.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 18, 2022, at 4:42 PM, Michael Wacker <n3hr@...> wrote:

I am having trouble completing the exchange in a FT8 QSO. It seems I just go back and forth many times exchanging signal reports without making it to the 73 portion to end the QSO. I assume I must have some settings incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike N3HR

Neil Foster

Mike
Give me a call after 10am EDT on Friday if you can. I may have an answer for you??
Neil N4FN 770-321-9348

Neil Foster

Mike
Give me a call after 10am EDT on Friday if you can. I may have an answer for you??
Neil N4FN 770-321-9348

Michael Wacker

Hi Neil,
I will try to call after work tomorrow. If we don’t hook up can I call sometime next week? Thanks
Mike

On Aug 18, 2022, at 9:50 PM, Neil Foster <archernf@...> wrote:

Mike
Give me a call after 10am EDT on Friday if you can. I may have an answer for you??
Neil N4FN 770-321-9348

Martin G0HDB

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 11:07 PM, Michael Wacker wrote:

I am having trouble completing the exchange in a FT8 QSO. It seems I just go
back and forth many times exchanging signal reports without making it to the
73 portion to end the QSO. I assume I must have some settings incorrect. Any
help would be appreciated.
Mike N3HR
Hi Mike, have you got the 'Auto Seq' check-box on the main WSJT-X window ticked? Also, in the Settings > Reporting menu tab do you have the 'Prompt me to log QSO' option checked?

Assuming you have, what happens when you receive a report, for example R-12, from the other station - doesn't your system move on to sending your Tx_4 message of '<othercall> N3HR RRR' or '<othercall> N3HR RR73'?

Alternatively, what happens when you receive an RRR or RR73 message from the other station - doesn't your system move on to sending your Tx_5 message of '<othercall> N3HR 73'?

When your system sends either your RR73 or 73 message, the prompt to log the QSO should pop up - if you're never getting this far then it's conceivable that there's simply too much QRM (or QSB) at either your end or at the other station that's preventing the decoding of the signal report messages that are being exchanged.

HTH,

--
Martin G0HDB

Robie - AJ4F

Mike,

Several comments:

1. make sure you have Auto Seq checked. You most likely do.

2. What you are experiencing is normal. Propagation, interference, etc.
makes completing QSOs difficult at times. This occurs when using ALL modes
of communication.

3. Sometimes another station will start transmitting on the same audio
frequency and time slot that you are. If this is the case the station you
are trying to work may not be able to copy you. If you shift your transmit
frequency a small amount you often can complete the QSO. When I'm
attempting to complete a QSO and am having difficulty I sometimes shift my
transmit freq up or down 60 Hz or so and am able to complete. Give this
method a try.

4. The station you are trying to work may be receiving signals on your
frequency that you would not be able to receive!

Robie AJ4F

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 5:07 PM Michael Wacker <n3hr@...> wrote:

I am having trouble completing the exchange in a FT8 QSO. It seems I just
the 73 portion to end the QSO. I assume I must have some settings
incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike N3HR

Michael Wacker

I will check the settings you mentioned. Thank you Martin.
Mike N3HR

On Aug 19, 2022, at 12:14 PM, Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Robie,
I appreciate your response, good information.
Mike N3HR

Robie - AJ4F

Mike,

You are welcome and I hope to work you one day soon !

Robie AJ4F

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:38 AM Michael Wacker <n3hr@...> wrote:

Thank you Robie,
I appreciate your response, good information.
Mike N3HR

Michael Wacker

Hi Martin,
Yes I have auto seq checked and it does prompt me to log at the end of the qsl. My problem is we just keep going back and forth trying to complete the signal report exchange for it to move to the next Tx.
Mike