Topics

#FT8 Can't get my FT-991A om 60M #FT8

Jon Ermels

I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.

JP Tucson, AZ

Just to make sure, you ARE on 5.357 MHz, on UPPER sideband - correct?

If you try to call CQ using the Mic., does it work & TX ok?

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 2:02 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.

Jon Ermels

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 03:44:44 PM CST, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

Just to make sure, you ARE on 5.357 MHz, on UPPER sideband - correct? No, 5.358.5. It won't do anything on 5.357

If you try to call CQ using the Mic., does it work & TX ok?  I would imagine if I put the mic to front it might, I didn't try that.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 2:02 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.

JP Tucson, AZ

I think that is your problem.

The 5 60m channels MUST use the lower frequencies on the band plan for USB (UPPER sideband!) WSJT-X  - ALWAYS uses USB for FT8, FT4...

 Please re-LOOK at the band plan...
You are using the center of the channel, which is incorrect!

5357 kHz or 5.357 MHz is the proper frequency.   Retry tuning to that & see if it works.

That flashing TX may be the radio's way of warning you that you are out of band for the mode. (I don't own a 991, so I am not certain about this...)

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 5:00 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 03:44:44 PM CST, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

Just to make sure, you ARE on 5.357 MHz, on UPPER sideband - correct? No, 5.358.5. It won't do anything on 5.357

If you try to call CQ using the Mic., does it work & TX ok?  I would imagine if I put the mic to front it might, I didn't try that.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 2:02 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.

Jon Ermels

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 06:26:50 PM CST, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

I think that is your problem.

The 5 60m channels MUST use the lower frequencies on the band plan for USB (UPPER sideband!) WSJT-X  - ALWAYS uses USB for FT8, FT4...The 50M channels in the memory ARE SET TO USB. THEY CAN'T BE CHANGED.

 Please re-LOOK at the band plan...t
You are using the center of the channel, which is incorrect. I DID LOOK! I have paid attention to the .he band plan for 60M is set by channels by the FCC in this country unless they have changed the rules.

5357 kHz or 5.357 MHz is the proper frequency.   Retry tuning to that & see if it works. If I change that from the approved freq, it still won't transmit.  It makes no difference when I try using the VFO either.

That flashing TX may be the radio's way of warning you that you are out of band for the mode. (I don't own a 991, so I am not certain about this...) It sure is, has been that way for years on almost all radios. Anyway John, thanks for your time. I think I'll just do the MARS mod and be done with it. I don't think the FCC pays any attention to us anyway.  I figured since 60M is supposed to be SHARED  and set to channels Id try to be operating legally. They must have changed the rules.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 5:00 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 03:44:44 PM CST, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

Just to make sure, you ARE on 5.357 MHz, on UPPER sideband - correct? No, 5.358.5. It won't do anything on 5.357

If you try to call CQ using the Mic., does it work & TX ok?  I would imagine if I put the mic to front it might, I didn't try that.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 2:02 PM Jon Ermels via groups.io <n0igu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.

Ken WB8UFC

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 03:51 PM, Jon Ermels wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.
My FT-991A is at Yaesu for service, so I can't verify this but my recollection is that to operate on 60M you either need to have a physical modification done to the radio in order to use the DATA-USB mode OR operate you can operate in the SSB mode.

Brian N6RZR

I have the same with my FT-950. The 60M freqs. are in memory channels but the software tunes to the 60m freq using the VFO.
As a workaround I disable the CAT and select the proper 60M memory channel and it will transmit.
Hope this helps

Brian N6RZR

Jon Ermels

Thanks a lot Ken, that makes more sense. Glad to have another owner responding. I was thinking the MARS mod was needed.  I didn't try DATA-USB because I couldn't originally get it to work on FT8 at all. USB in and out did so I  left it that way and haven't had a problem since.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, February 12, 2021, 09:04:18 AM CST, Ken WB8UFC <wb8ufc@...> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 03:51 PM, Jon Ermels wrote:
I have the the ability to tune but when I call CQ or try to answer one the radio just flashes the tx light. I have the split set to off.
My FT-991A is at Yaesu for service, so I can't verify this but my recollection is that to operate on 60M you either need to have a physical modification done to the radio in order to use the DATA-USB mode OR operate you can operate in the SSB mode.

Jon Ermels

I was also able to get it to tune with the VFO but didn't try to disable the CAT Xmit. I did select no split to keep on the authorized frequency. Did WSJT-X handle the Xmit with the CAT turned off though?

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Jon Ermels wrote:
I didn't try DATA-USB because I couldn't originally get it to work on FT8 at all. USB in and out did so I  left it that way and haven't had a problem since.
I was away from the hobby for 30 years and the FT-991A was the first rig I procured upon return. So, everything but the fundamentals were completely foreign.

I got the rig working FT8 on SSB first (mostly by accident through trial and error). Once I realized the manual's use of "USB" didn't always mean Upper Sideband and sometimes meant Universal Serial Bus, things started to become more clear :)

Observing that every online recommendation suggested different settings and noting that many of them simply didn't make sense with even my rudimentary knowledge of the radio (like changing baud rates for a port that obviously wasn't used) I quickly concluded that many others had accidentally gotten their setup to work and then just published their settings.

So I decided to ignore everything but the manual and took the time to learn what each of the 150+ settings actually does (to the minimal extent the manual explains them).

I was then able to set up the radio to work using the recommended Data method or the USB method.
I use the Data method because it leaves the USB settings for USB.
I work 6M on a different rig.

Jeff Stillinger

Ken,

Thank you for sharing.  Your experience exemplifies one of the biggest issues we have in ham radio.   The lack of reading instruction manuals.  As you mentioned, all those internet "resources" and the vast majority of them are simply an accidental solution, or strait up wrong in some cases.   Yet, where did you find the working solution?  The instruction manual.   In fair defense, there is one set of "how to" making it's way through social media this week that is pretty darn good.   It actually follows both the WSJT-X User Guide and 991A manual.

I too have a 991A and it took all of 10 minutes to configure for the WSJT-X modes.  The WSJT-X User Guide told me what settings I needed to configure to what values.  The 991A manual told me how to set them.

Again, thank you for sharing and pointing out how important reading the documentation is.   We need to see much, much more of this across all of the ham radio community.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM, Jeff Stillinger wrote:
The lack of reading instruction manuals.

In fairness, most manuals for technical products today are so very poorly written as to be little more than a detailed feature list.

There are some obvious contributors to this unfortunate situation (consumer’s strong desire not to want to have to learn anything, cost reduction in product production, etc…), but here's one I haven't heard anyone express.

Ham gear has gone through 3 major phases in my lifetime:

Phase 1) The equipment would literally kill you if you didn't know what you were doing.
Phase 2) You were safe from the equipment, but you could easily destroy the equipment if you didn't know what you were doing.
Phase 3) You can do all sorts of profoundly abusive things to the equipment and it will protect both you and itself.

Who needs to read the manual if there are no significant consequences for not doing so?

I sure miss the manuals that not only gave a brief explanation of a feature, but explained the theory behind their operation, described unique aspects of that manufacturer’s implementation, gave practical examples of its use, identified potential pitfalls, and in general educated the reader.
An HP or TI  Calculator manual from 20 years ago has more pages than today's Icom or Yaesu manuals!

One quick example... imagine that you don't know what ALC is - now learn how to use ALC from the FT-991A manual. You can't. There are so many assumptions built into the ALC info in the manual that unless you already know how to use it on a Yaesu radio it isn't possible to learn how to set it properly from the manual.

Chas GG

Having spent 20+ years at a company, Heath of Heathkit fame, I know from where you come. I also know, for many years, the Heath Manual department was as large as the Design Engineering group and we often had as many development hours in the manual as the design. Of course, a not insignificant part of that manual effort was developing the step-by-step assembly instructions. On the other hand, a not insignificant effort went into a detailed “how does it work” circuit description often component by component. Clearly, part of this effort was to make sure the builder had the tools to troubleshoot if that became necessary. It was also our intention to educate the customer. Our manual writers were talented and key members of the development team. Obviously, developing manuals with this extensive content was expensive. With a race to the bottom, price wise, this is yet another product expense to be eliminated for short term cost reduction.

Ken WB8UFC

Jon, here's a link to some additional information: https://github.com/rfrht/FT-991A/wiki/How-To-Do-FT8-In-60M-With-FT-991A

Jon Ermels

Thank You Ken

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 06:44:18 AM CST, Ken WB8UFC <wb8ufc@...> wrote:

Jon, here's a link to some additional information: https://github.com/rfrht/FT-991A/wiki/How-To-Do-FT8-In-60M-With-FT-991A

Bernd - KB7AK

Ken's link works. There is a similar issue with the FTDX-3000, you can get around the blinking TX light by pushing certain buttons in the right order every time before you transmit, or change the configuration similarly as it's described the link.

73,
Bernd - KB7AK

K3JRZ

Followed those instructions and it still didn’t work for me. Still won’t transmit.

I’m about to give up... or do the Mars mod... I’ve never soldered anything before!!!!

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

Don Roden

Put the channels in memory slots . It will work... No soldering needed. W4DNR

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 07:44 Ken WB8UFC wrote:

Jon, here's a link to some additional information:
https://github.com/rfrht/FT-991A/wiki/How-To-Do-FT8-In-60M-With-FT-991A

--
Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

K3JRZ

Still doesn’t work for me. I’m giving up.

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

Bruce N7XGR

Jeff,  Do not give up yet, if you feel uncomfortable to do the one
solder bridge then have someone do this for you.
I did the mod on a FT891 which has two bridges to be made.
I do not use the DATA mode at all instead I use the straight
USB mode and use the program Commander that has two macros
buttons that switch the mod input from the front to the rear
and switch the SSB BFO from AUTO to USB.
Commander is in the Radio dropdown in WSJT-X as an interface.
I leave the mode in WSJT-X set for USB and not Data/Pkt.
With the mod made when you select say 7074 you are there
no problem and 60 meters with chan 3 freq entered in the
Frequencies tab in WSJT-X it sets the 991A on that freq/chan 3.
5357 KHz

Bruce  N7XGR

--

Thanks & 73,