Topics

FAILS to DECODE

bill.neuro

My rig often fails to decode.

I will be tuned up to 40m FT-8, lots of sigs on the waterfall, rig decoding just fine. Then, rig will skip a complete 15 sec cycle and decode nothing. Sometimes, the next cycle decodes fine, sometimes decodes just a few signals, sometimes I get nothing for a few minutes, and sometimes I have to shut off the rig and come back later.

Sometimes it won’t decode when I boot up, not decoding for several minutes.

This can happen on any band. I rarely use FT-4 and JT-9, so I am not sure if they are a problem.

The only operating adjustment I could find is Decode/Fast,Normal,Deep, which does not seem to change anything.

My clock is accurate, DT always under 1.0 sec.

HELP! Any ideas on what is causing my system to fail at decoding?

Bill K1NS

Ayer MA, USA

Yaesu FTdx300 barefoot

RIGblaster Advantage

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ham Rado Deluxe 6.7.0.301

WSJT-X 2.2.1

WSJT-X controls HRD and HRD controls radio

FTdx-3000 connected to PC with USB 2.0 cable

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Reino Talarmo

Hi Bill,

This may not help in your specific problem, but I just say that I have no issues with FTdx3000 barefoot, USB connection to PC and nothing more.
Is your audio going via Rigblaster Advantage? Is there a reason to have Rigblaster Advantage in the chain at all for audio or CAT or both?

Good Luck,

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

Bill Somerville

On 16/10/2020 02:25, bill.neuro wrote:

[...]

two common causes of complete decode failures for one Rx period are time synchronization software making crude steps to the system clock during a period, or short bursts of excessive system load interrupting the flow of audio samples causing a discontinuity.

I recommend not using an SNTP style time synchronization tool, particularly if your PC real-time clock is not particularly accurate, requiring regular adjustments. A true NTP implementation like the Meinberg NTP Client will characterize and adjust the system clock rate and avoid any step adjustments once synchronization has been achieved. Monitoring your system carefully for undesirable CPU loading, often by faulty background services, and addressing them is also advisable. A DPC checker can help to determine if you PC is suitable and correctly configured for handling real-time audio.

bill.neuro

Thank you, Reino, but Bill G3WJS has put me on the right trail. The DPC Latency on my computer is excessive, and I probably have some bad driver software. Now I have to find it!

Thank you for the quick reply.

Bill K1NS

[...]

Bill:  I downloaded DPC Latency Checker 1.4.0, and the display is mostly red! My maximum latency is 6294 μs.

I have a fancy Nvidia graphics card, to support my 27” high res display. When I turned off the Nvidia control panel, the latency improved to around 1000 μs, but when I ran Ham Radio Deluxe and WSJT-X, the latency is right back up there. So during digital QSOs I run about 2000 μs latency.

I use Meinberg NTP software, so I do not think it is part of the problem.  I think you are right and it is “. . . faulty background services. . .” as you suggested. But despite being relatively computer literate, I have no idea how to go through a list of dozens of background tasks to find the bad one. Any advice?

Bill K1NS

[...]

Steve VE3RX

One suggestion is to remove HRD from the chain. Try to run WSJT-X directly to the radio and see how the latency is at that point. If still bad, then likely hardware issue. If it is good, then something with HRD and how it is set up, maybe.
You don't specify what hardware this is running on. Win 10 Pro does not say anything much about the power of the computer. Things like the processor, amount of ram, HDD or SSD may make a difference.
Also, try running while disconnected from the Internet. That may rule out some background software.

73
Steve