locked Error decoding WSPR on Linux (v2.5.1) #linux #WSPR

manuel.schrape@...

Hello,

When decoding WSPR on Linux, WSJT-X tries to save the .wav file in a directory /home/<username>C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save which does not exist and instead of in the save directory where other modes save their files.

Manuel, DD6ZJ

Karza

Hi Manuel,

On 29.6.2022 11.00, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
Hello,

When decoding WSPR on Linux, WSJT-X tries to save the .wav file in a directory /home/<username>C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save which does not exist and instead of in the save directory where other modes save their files.

Manuel, DD6ZJ
Where should they be saved then? Isn't  'save' directory just the right place?

BTW, version 2.5.1 is quite old...

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Tim Dawson

The "C:/Users/<username>/AppData" . . . is pure Whinders manure, and should not be ther on a *nix box . . . /<Homedir>/.wsjtx/save (or similar) would be far more appropriate . . .

On June 29, 2022 8:54:50 AM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:
Hi Manuel,

On 29.6.2022 11.00, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
Hello,

When decoding WSPR on Linux, WSJT-X tries to save the .wav file in a directory /home/<username>C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save which does not exist and instead of in the save directory where other modes save their files.

Manuel, DD6ZJ
Where should they be saved then? Isn't  'save' directory just the right place?

BTW, version 2.5.1 is quite old...

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

manuel.schrape@...

The right directory would be /home/<username>/.local/share/WSJT-X/save

The save directory is the right place but the path to the WSJT-X directory where the save directory is located isn't correct when saving WSPR data.

Tim Dawson

You assume that all user are in /home . . .

That is an *incorrect* assumption!

And I can't ever recall seeing anything use ".local/share" . . . that is just more excessively long path nonsense . . .

How about a default at install (relative to whatever the users home directory is . . ), and the ability to set to whatever is desired if that isn't satisfactory?

On 29.6.2022 18.40, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
The right directory would be /home/<username>/.local/share/WSJT-X/save
That *is* the directory where .wav are saved by default.

But you can save them anywhere you want by specifying the location using File => Settings => Audio => Save Directory. ( Assuming correct permissions, of course )

'Kari

Tim Dawson

Just not on any Linux distro that I have ever run . . .

On June 29, 2022 1:56:07 PM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:
On 29.6.2022 18.40, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
The right directory would be /home/<username>/.local/share/WSJT-X/save
That *is* the directory where .wav are saved by default.

But you can save them anywhere you want by specifying the location using File => Settings => Audio => Save Directory. ( Assuming correct permissions, of course )

'Kari

Karza

What distors have you run WSJT-X on?

( Doesn't matter really as you can confugure the location yourself )

Just not on any Linux distro that I have ever run . . .

On June 29, 2022 1:56:07 PM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:
On 29.6.2022 18.40, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
The right directory would be /home/<username>/.local/share/WSJT-X/save
That *is* the directory where .wav are saved by default.

But you can save them anywhere you want by specifying the location using File => Settings => Audio => Save Directory. ( Assuming correct permissions, of course )

'Kari

Tim Dawson

Slackware . . . 14.2 at the momemt (although it has evolved enough to almost be my own . . . I update via source compiles, not suboptimal pre-built stuff . . )

On June 29, 2022 2:08:21 PM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:

What distors have you run WSJT-X on?

( Doesn't matter really as you can confugure the location yourself )

Just not on any Linux distro that I have ever run . . .

On June 29, 2022 1:56:07 PM CDT, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:
On 29.6.2022 18.40, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
The right directory would be /home/<username>/.local/share/WSJT-X/save
That *is* the directory where .wav are saved by default.

But you can save them anywhere you want by specifying the location using File => Settings => Audio => Save Directory. ( Assuming correct permissions, of course )

'Kari

Peter Eijlander (PA0PJE)

Hi Manuel and Kari,
Manuel says "Linux" and has a "Windows" save path...
I doubt if the slashes shown would have been back slashes...

In WSJT-X do:
File > Preferences > Audio and click at the right side from the path found there on the "Select" button and create a folder in /home/manuel/wstjx-audio
That is, if your Linux home directory contains that folder as your personal one.

My Linux Mint path shows as:
/home/peter/wsjtx-audio

If, on the other hand your are using a windows version of WSJT-X and run it via wine you are doing something you should definitely NOT do.
WSJT-X has a native Linux version available on the nome page of K1JT...

The next thing you would have needed to say was WHICH Linux version do you use and do you understand the differences of file management under Linux and Windows?

73,
Peter

Op 29-06-2022 om 15:54 schreef Karza:

Hi Manuel,
On 29.6.2022 11.00, manuel.schrape via groups.io wrote:
Hello,

When decoding WSPR on Linux, WSJT-X tries to save the .wav file in a directory /home/<username>C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save which does not exist and instead of in the save directory where other modes save their files.

Manuel, DD6ZJ
Where should they be saved then? Isn't  'save' directory just the right
place?
BTW, version 2.5.1 is quite old...
73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Peter Eijlander (PA0PJE)

Kari is right, that is the default directory used by WSJT-X.
But YOU can change that to anything appropriate to you, provided you have the proper rights. Using a hidden folder like /.local is a bit odd maybe, but, for it is in your own /home/username folder and you have read/write rights there, you can access it...
73
Peter