locked Curious. #FT8 #FT4

don frasher

When the band is completely covered from one end to the other
with FT8 signals, Why is it almost no one will switch to FT4?
or at least maybe move up in frequency a bit?
maybe even get really crazy and try SSB, PSK, or even RTTY?
#FT8 #FT4

Pat N6PAT

When the band is full of FT8 then people will go where the action is and that is FT8. If you want lots of contacts then why would you leave the most active mode and go where there are much fewer stations?

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 10:31 AM, don frasher wrote:

When the band is completely covered from one end to the other
with FT8 signals, Why is it almost no one will switch to FT4?
or at least maybe move up in frequency a bit?
maybe even get really crazy and try SSB, PSK, or even RTTY?
#FT8 #FT4

careyfisher@...

Have you asked anyone to move to FT4?
Carey, WB4HXE

--
Carey Fisher
careyfisher@...

--
73, Carey, WB4HXE

Pat N6PAT

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 02:24 PM, <careyfisher@...> wrote:

Have you asked anyone to move to FT4?
Carey, WB4HXE
If I can contact them with FT8 why would I need to contact them again with FT4? ARRL treats them the same as Digital for awards.

Robie - AJ4F

All,

My experience with moving from FT8 to FT4 is mixed. When a station
transmits QSY FT4 I will usually go and often make a few QSOs. However,
the "well runs dry" in a few minutes and I move back to FT8. When I've
transmitted QSY FT4 I've had similar results.

Robie AJ4F

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 4:50 PM Pat N6PAT via groups.io <n6pat=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 02:24 PM, <careyfisher@...> wrote:

Have you asked anyone to move to FT4?
Carey, WB4HXE
If I can contact them with FT8 why would I need to contact them again with
FT4? ARRL treats them the same as Digital for awards.

Anthony Luscre

Yes, I have asked stations to move to FT4

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

When the band is completely covered from one end to the other
with FT8 signals, Why is it almost no one will switch to FT4?
or at least maybe move up in frequency a bit?
maybe even get really crazy and try SSB, PSK, or even RTTY?
#FT8 #FT4

--
Carey Fisher
careyfisher@...

--
73, Carey, WB4HXE

--
*Anthony Luscre*

*K8ZT*
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

*The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com <http://www.ZTLearn.com>*

*K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com <http://www.k8zt.com>*

*Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry
<http://www.k8zt.com/hry>*

Chuck Adams

If they have the text messaging function enabled in WSJT-X, I ask that way.

don frasher

First, if they have JST alert, I have asked them. on rare occasion if it was one I really needed, I have looked
them up and emailed.
But often this isn't available
As to why would I need to contact them if I got them on FT8... Really? If I can get them that way I wouldn't
care.
I'm talking about when it has been so crowded you can seldom finish a contact due to some one else starts to
double with the station you trying to contact. or after They stop trying to respond to you , you find that someone
doubled on top of you.
A little to one side or the other is no big deal, but but solid pretty much across the band. I know that I am Not
the only person who has those issues, just by watching other QSO attempts.
Instead of fighting through the mess, just go to FT4. never as crowded, and much much faster.
Or if you insist on using FT8, move up the band a bit.
Or like I mentioned in the my 1st post, try a mode where you can have an actual conversation.

Jim Shorney

Some are moving up in frequency. I have seen ops up to 3 KHz on busy days. The problem is that many can't or don't know how to open their RX bandwidth to cover that high or they never think to move their dial up a couple of KHz.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 04 Oct 2022 08:56:00 -0700
"don frasher via groups.io" <donfrasher@...> wrote:

When the band is completely covered from one end to the other
with FT8 signals, Why is it almost no one will switch to FT4?
or at least maybe move up in frequency a bit?
maybe even get really crazy and try SSB, PSK, or even RTTY?
#FT8 #FT4

Gary - AG0N

On Oct 4, 2022, at 11:45, Pat N6PAT via groups.io <n6pat@...> wrote:

When the band is full of FT8 then people will go where the action is and that is FT8. If you want lots of contacts then why would you leave the most active mode and go where there are much fewer stations?
When the band is busy, that’s EXACTLY what I do! If the FT8 segment is busy, I click on FT4 and have a ball working the pileups around me in the less busy FT4 segment. Sometimes I’m there an hour or more before things peter out.

73, Gary - AG0N

Bertel Andresen

Hi.

"If you want lots of contacts then why would you leave the most active mode and go where there are much fewer stations?"

Hmmm, well.
In my experience, when the FT8 band get crowded, I have very little success getting my voice heard with 2-3W out.
Moving over to FT4 gives me many more contacts.
With lots of stations around, I tend to get either not heard, or simply ignored in favor of stronger stations.
On FT4, let be with fewer stations, my weak signal tends to be more "tolerated", and answered.

At times when the FT8 band is not so crowded, I can get many contacts.
But when it's getting full of stations, it's usually not even worth trying.
Better switch to FT4.

FWIW that's my experience.

SM6OES
Bertel

David Ackrill

On 6M there are two suggested frequencies. 50.313MHz for general use and 50.323MHz for intercontinental use, so if the band is busy people move to 323 to work stations outside their own continent.