73, Chuck

Rob Sullivan

My understanding is that it’s the opposite, they are operating POTA

On Aug 5, 2022, at 09:54, Chuck Gelm <nc8q-aredn@...> wrote:

Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Robert Bower

No, it means they are at a park doing a POTA activation. They need ten contacts for a successful activation so I also try to respond.

--
Thanks,

Robert Bower
W9RWB
WRPH745

Gilbert Baron

Usually a directional CQ like that means you are looking for only the reply as asked such as CQ DX but in this case CQ POTA seems a special case and I would agree that it probably means it is a POTA calling CQ.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

My understanding is that it’s the opposite, they are operating POTA
On Aug 5, 2022, at 09:54, Chuck Gelm <nc8q-aredn@...> wrote:

Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Chuck Gelm

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

Darl DEEDS

Please go to their web site and learn about about Parks on the Air.

https://pota.app

NA8W

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

Darl DEEDS

Yes that’s what it means. It’s due to the limited amount of letters that FT-8 allows.

NA8W

My understanding is that it’s the opposite, they are operating POTA
On Aug 5, 2022, at 09:54, Chuck Gelm <nc8q-aredn@...> wrote:

Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Chris Hoffman

They need any 10 QSO’s (POTA and non-POTA count)

William Smith

From: https://pota.app/#/faq
/*
For FT8, just run as normal default “CQ W3AAX FM19” … this may change with FT4 once approved for use by ADIF.org.
*/

Also:
/*
Contacts do not have to be made with a registered POTA member.
*/

#WeDemandRigidlyDefinedAreasOfDoubtAndUncertainty!

"Work them all, let POTA sort them out." 8*)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

AC9XW Doug

I’ve activated a lot. For digital I always use “CQ POTA AC9XW”. It means
I’m at park and looking for someone to hunt me.

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

--
Doug Iverson

Gwen

"  ...

Please go to their web site and learn about about Parks on the Air.

"
That sounds like a put-down / diss.

The OP asked a reasonable question and should not be denegrated for asking it.

I, too, had wondered about that --- whether the inclusion of "POTA" meant ( Don't bother me if you aren't also a POTA station ).  It is a reasonable assumption based on other amendment protocols (such as "DX")

Might be better if the protocol specified something like:  " CQ W1AW POTA"  instead of  " CQ POTA W1AW " ---- the former being far LESS confusing to Noobs.

Gwen

KI5PXQ

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

Reino Talarmo

Might be better if the protocol specified something like: " CQ W1AW POTA" instead of " CQ POTA W1AW " ---- the former being far LESS confusing to Noobs.
Hi Gwen,

That will be a totally different protocol than what WSJT-X FT8 currently can support! The source coding and message structures set a strong limit. Of course there are some unused messages, but POTA is not so important to all radio amateurs, hi!

If I were a POTA station and want to get others interested in it, I would send something that makes a difference to "normal" CQ message e.g. that misuse of the directed CQ! Of course I could also use a free text message, but with 13 characters it may be less informative.

73, Reino OH3mA

Darl DEEDS

Gwen!

Why in the world would you take that as a put down. I merely tried to send him where all the answers to the questions are. AND I included the web site. How would I know that he has looked at their web site and still don’t understand it. Get a life and enjoy the hobby instead of dictating negatives!

73
Darl NA8W

On 2022-08-05 06:54, Chuck Gelm wrote:
Does 'CQ POTA' mean "I only want stations at a park to reply"?

73, Chuck

Do they need 10 other POTA stations or any 10 stations?

Carl Jón Denbow

When I say “CQ POTA” I’m just announcing that I’m at a park and seeking stations to call me. Sometimes, if the going is slow, I’ll add “You don’t have to be participating in the POTA program. Any station, anywhere, please call N8VZ now.” — 73 de Carl N8VZ
==============================
Carl Jón Denbow, N8VZ
17 Coventry Lane
Athens, Ohio 45701-3718

carl@...
www.n8vz.com
EM89wh

IRLP 4533 Echolink 116070

POTA on SSB and digital modes
=======================

From:https://pota.app/#/faq
/*
For FT8, just run as normal default “CQ W3AAX FM19” … this may change with FT4 once approved for use by ADIF.org.
*/

Also:
/*
*Contacts do not have to be made with a registered POTA member.*
*/

#WeDemandRigidlyDefinedAreasOfDoubtAndUncertainty!

"Work them all, let POTA sort them out." 8*)

73, Willie N1JBJ
Willie et alia:

 Thanks for all the information.
This helps.
My main WSJT-X interest is FT8 and many of you gave helpful suggestions in that area.
I usually work a callsign once on each: new band, and new mode, and new grid; but
now knowing that 'park activating' stations are seeking any 10 QSOs in one UTC day,
I will endeavor to call them once each day of their activity.

Aside to group:
Due to my post generating several replies, I wonder why is there no #POTA hashtag?

73 all, Chuck

Jim Shorney

Thanks for your interest, Chuck. The POTA activators are eager to get you in their logs. You don't need to do anything beyond that if you are not inclined. However, if you like certificates POTA has a multi-tiered awards system that can be quite addictive (you have been warned :) ). If you sign up for an account on the POTA web site you may find out that you have already earned some hunter wallpaper. It's all FREE.

73,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
https://pota.app/

From:https://pota.app/#/faq
/*
[...]

Charlie Hoffman

I'm familiar with POTA but the DE confuses me.

Does the OP think he needs to use CW abbreviation or does he only want POTA stations in Delaware?

The normal call would be:

CQ POTA AB1CDE AA87

Jim Shorney

I would go with the CW abbreviation theory.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 06 Aug 2022 10:46:22 -0700
"Charlie Hoffman" <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I'm familiar with POTA but the DE confuses me.

Does the OP think he needs to use CW abbreviation or does he only want POTA stations in Delaware?

The normal call would be:

CQ POTA AB1CDE AA87

David Kozinn, K2DBK

I'd bet that he's doing a POTA operation from Delaware.

As others have explained, CQ POTA means you're at a park looking for people to contact you, not the other way around. If you have an actual example with time, date, and callsign it's pretty easy to figure out where the operator was by looking them up on the pota.app website.

It is possible that he was looking for stations in Delaware to complete a POTA WAS, but I do a fair amount of POTA hunting on FT-4/8 and I can't recall ever seeing the state mentioned in the CQ.

William Smith

I don't think he's using the example AB1C as a call and DE as the first word of the CQ, I think he's using AB1CDE as the example call.

73, Willie N1JBJ