Contest mode? #ContestMode

w5ec

Sometimes I am answered by several stations at the same time. In order to contact as many as possible in a short time,
can I go to a contest mode to shorten the contact time?
Bill W5EC

Bill Somerville

On 18/07/2021 17:25, w5ec wrote:
Sometimes I am answered by several stations at the same time. In order to contact as many as possible in a short time,
can I go to a contest mode to shorten the contact time?
Bill W5EC
Hi Bill,

the contest modes in WSJT-X require all parties to switch to contest mode, with one minor exception that I know of QSOs will not progress without user intervention unless both ends have mutually switched to the right operations mode. This is one important reason why we recommend that contest organizers, who require exchanges supported by the WSJT-X special operating modes, include in their rules that contest QSOs should not take place on regular FT8, FT4, or MSK144 watering-hole frequencies.

George J Molnar, KF2T

One enhancement that might help in this situation is to build a call queue that allows multiple callers to be stacked and worked either sequentially or from a pick list by the operator. The progress of each contact could be maintained so that in QSB or scatter situations, contacts could “interleave” a little bit to improve rate.  Rare grid rovers, expeditions, and other popular stations could benefit.

Having a blast on the radio. Thanks to all!

George/KF2T

Dave Garber

read up on fox and hound mode....  usually dx stations, though

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE