Topics

#Cat_RigControl rig control for SDR-Console SDR-Radio (advice requested) #Cat_RigControl


N8CVW
 

Greetings All,

is there a tutorial available, or directions from anyone,

to set up rig control for SDR-Console SDR-Radio ?

Much TIA !

Paul
N8CVW


Richard Rohrer
 

Hi Pau,

Its not too complicated.  SDR Console looks like a Kenwood TS2000.  You will need two additional software packages, one for virtual audio and one to for com ports.  I use  com0com for com port mapping and VBCable for audio.  

You assign a com port in SDR Console, map it to another port using com0com and use that port in WSJT.  Set the audio output in SDR Console to the input of the VBcable and the input of WSJT to the output of the VBCable.  You should be good to go.  

I have set this up for WSJT, Fldigi, and HRD.  

If you need more help let me know and I will make screen shots and send them to you. 

73
Dick - KC3EF


N8CVW
 

Hello Dick

thank you for your response !

i’ve managed to pipe audio from SDRConsole to WSJT-X, also to FLDigi, which btw receives the audio and runs simultaneously with WSJT-X.

you do not mention omnirig, is omnirig a component in the setup you’re instructing ?

i see in SDRC TOOLS —> SETTINGS —> OPTIONS, a setting for a com port to communicate with third party programs such as loggers, etc

i have 2 virtual cables installed, but neither appear as options in this window … i’m guessing that this necessitates the com0com functionality

looking into WSJTX, SETTINGS —> RADIO

and selecting OmniRig1

then “TEST CAT” : “Rig failure OmniRig : port is not available

manually starting OmniRig2,

(a) there is Rig Type (TS2000 is an option)

(b) Port : 1-20 are options


i should probably just install com0com and this would likely all fall into place with the needed com port appearing both in SDRC & WSJTX (?)

On Jan 11, 2021, at 9:23 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@arrl.net> wrote:

Hi Pau,

Its not too complicated. SDR Console looks like a Kenwood TS2000. You will need two additional software packages, one for virtual audio and one to for com ports. I use com0com for com port mapping and VBCable for audio.

You assign a com port in SDR Console, map it to another port using com0com and use that port in WSJT. Set the audio output in SDR Console to the input of the VBcable and the input of WSJT to the output of the VBCable. You should be good to go.

I have set this up for WSJT, Fldigi, and HRD.

If you need more help let me know and I will make screen shots and send them to you.

73
Dick - KC3EF


Bill Somerville
 

On 11/01/2021 16:31, N8CVW wrote:
i should probably just install com0com and this would likely all fall into place with the needed com port appearing both in SDRC & WSJTX (?)
Hi Paul,

com0com is one of a number of utilities that can provide a virtual serial port loopback. Like a cross-ver modem cable but all within software. Once you configure a serial port loopback pair you will have two new virtual serial ports, connect one to the Kenwood TS-2000 rig emulating in SDR-Console and the other to WSJT-X as if it were talking to  TS-2000.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Dennis Jacobson
 

Hello Dick and group.
I need to do this with my TS2000 also. I've downloaded the com0com but am too dense to figure out how to do this.. Can I get some of the screenshots. I think it might help.
Thanks
73
Dennis N6NG (aka. confused in California)


Richard Rohrer
 

Hi Paul,

As Bill said after you setup the virtual port pair you should be able to connect SDR console to one port and wSJT to the other.  You don't need omnirig as the interface built into WSTJ will take care of it.  There are a couple of good Youtube videos that explain how to do it.  

73
Dick - KC3EF


N8CVW
 

Hi Bill

I installed com0com, but I’m admittedly just a button pusher, and cannot seem to push the right combination 😐

after installing I see these com0com devices as shown listed in Device Manager :

com15
com16
CNCB2
CNCA0
CNCA2
CNCB0

my understanding is that pairs are comprised of :

com15 - com16
CNCA0 - CNCB0
CNCA2 - CNCB2

there are 4 potential “consumers” for ports :

A) SDR Console emulating a TS2000, configuration in TOOLS —> SETTINGS —> OPTIONS

B) WSJT-X TS2000 Radio configuration in FILE —> SETTINGS —> RADIO —> RIG: (TS2000 entry)

C) OmniRig2 SETTINGS —> RIG1, RIG2 ,,, which weirdly sometimes shows a RIG3 and a RIG4 but other times only shows RIG1 & RIG2 options

D) SDR Console “External Radio”

so the $64,000 Question : What goes where ???

On Jan 11, 2021, at 12:52 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

On 11/01/2021 16:31, N8CVW wrote:
i should probably just install com0com and this would likely all fall into place with the needed com port appearing both in SDRC & WSJTX (?)
Hi Paul,

com0com is one of a number of utilities that can provide a virtual serial port loopback. Like a cross-ver modem cable but all within software. Once you configure a serial port loopback pair you will have two new virtual serial ports, connect one to the Kenwood TS-2000 rig emulating in SDR-Console and the other to WSJT-X as if it were talking to TS-2000.

73
Bill
G4WJS.




Richard Rohrer
 

Hi Dennis,

What exactly are you trying to do?  Interface the TS-2000 to WSJT?  I am not that familiar with the TS-2000 interface, I should be since I did own one, but I think it needs a physical RS-232 connection between the computer and the radio.  You would not need com0com, just a USB to RS232 adapter and a straight RS-232 cable.  

73
Dick - KC3EF


Dennis Jacobson
 

Hello again Dick.
I have the TS2000 working with WSJTX just fine. I'm using  the Rigrunner P&P and works great... but when I try to get FLRIG or FLDIGI to work,I get the audio ok and can read the text from PSK stations but I can't get the keying to work. It only wants to use com ports and I've tried the 3 I have available Com1,, Com3, and Com4  So I thought from what I read above that I could use the Com0com to get the keying straightened out..

Am I wrong in my thinking?  Wouldn't be the first time...
Thanks
Dennis N6NG


Richard Rohrer
 

Hi Dennis,

If you already have WSTJ working then you should configure Fldiigi for the same com port.  You would not be running them simultaneously as the digital modes are different.  I use hamlib for Fldigi since I have had poor results with Flrig.

If you have more questions email direct.

73
Dick - KC3EF


N8CVW
 

Dick, All,

I’m having no joy with trying com0com control pair between SDRC and WSJTX ...

I mention TS2000 because SDRC emulates TS2000 as a target radio, which has an Airspy HF+.

Rather than drive you nuts with all of my prognostications,

is anyone linking WSJTX & SDRC using a virtual serial pair (eg, com0com),

who can give me a list of configuration steps including handshake settings ?

Just one little prognostication :

- I believe Omnirig is to operate in the middle between WSJTX and SDRC(3.0.22).

Paul
N8CVW

On Jan 12, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@arrl.net> wrote:

Hi Dennis,

What exactly are you trying to do? Interface the TS-2000 to WSJT? I am not that familiar with the TS-2000 interface, I should be since I did own one, but I think it needs a physical RS-232 connection between the computer and the radio. You would not need com0com, just a USB to RS232 adapter and a straight RS-232 cable.

73
Dick - KC3EF


Lawrence Godek
 

Well i do.  I use SDR Console, Voicemeeter Banana and WSJT hooked to JT alert.  Took a bit to get it figured out but it do work and works quite well.  I do not use it to transmit though, only receive.  Not figured out the other direction yet. 

Larry

On 1/13/2021 8:02 AM, N8CVW wrote:
Dick, All,

I’m having no joy with trying com0com control pair between SDRC and WSJTX ...

I mention TS2000 because SDRC emulates TS2000 as a target radio, which has an Airspy HF+.

Rather than drive you nuts with all of my prognostications,

is anyone linking WSJTX & SDRC using a virtual serial pair (eg, com0com),

who can give me a list of configuration steps including handshake settings ?

Just one little prognostication :

- I believe Omnirig is to operate in the middle between WSJTX and SDRC(3.0.22).

Paul
N8CVW 



On Jan 12, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Dennis,

What exactly are you trying to do?  Interface the TS-2000 to WSJT?  I am not that familiar with the TS-2000 interface, I should be since I did own one, but I think it needs a physical RS-232 connection between the computer and the radio.  You would not need com0com, just a USB to RS232 adapter and a straight RS-232 cable.  

73
Dick - KC3EF