locked #Cat_RigControl #Cat_RigControl

David Owen

Hi
I have some questions about the list of radios in WSJT-X.
I am sorry if the answers seem seem obvious.

Who controls the list of radios and writes the controlling software?
Who would I have to ask to get a particular radio added?
Would I have to write the software myself and have the code added somewhere?

(I am interested in old Rohde and Schwarz receivers such as the EK895 and also
in the more recent HDSDR software)

Regards

David Owen

GM1OXB

Michael Black

I'm the maintainer of Hamlib.
I just need the CAT protocol for any rig to add it.
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 01:19:29 PM CDT, David Owen via groups.io <djmowen@...> wrote:

Hi
I have some questions about the list of radios in WSJT-X.
I am sorry if the answers seem seem obvious.

Who controls the list of radios and writes the controlling software?
Who would I have to ask to get a particular radio added?
Would I have to write the software myself and have the code added somewhere?

(I am interested in old Rohde and Schwarz receivers such as the EK895 and also
in the more recent HDSDR software)

Regards

David Owen

GM1OXB

Michael Black

I added the EK895/896 -- it will be in tonight's build of hamlib dated 220729
Should be able to set/get freq, set/get mode (USB or LSB), get/set bandwdith, get STRENGTH (dB),  and turn preamp on/off
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 01:19:29 PM CDT, David Owen via groups.io <djmowen@...> wrote:

Hi
I have some questions about the list of radios in WSJT-X.
I am sorry if the answers seem seem obvious.

Who controls the list of radios and writes the controlling software?
Who would I have to ask to get a particular radio added?
Would I have to write the software myself and have the code added somewhere?

(I am interested in old Rohde and Schwarz receivers such as the EK895 and also
in the more recent HDSDR software)

Regards

David Owen

GM1OXB

David Owen

Thanks for your reply.
I will try it as soon as I can.
David

Michael Black

If you have a specific SDR model you'd like to see added looks like I'll have to ask for a CAT manual for it.  I didn't find any information on their site.
I imagine the SDR models will have a common protocol.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 05:11:36 AM CDT, David Owen via groups.io <djmowen@...> wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I will try it as soon as I can.
David

David Owen

Re: Hamlib for R&S EK895

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I think there will have to be some way of setting the parity of the serial characters.

I started WSJT-X 2.5.4 with the latest "libhamlib-4" and set the radio to R&S EK895.

An timeout error was displayed (see "attach_1").

The EK895 command "0000 46 3f 0d F?.", in the middle of the error message,
looks correct to read the radio frequency according to the R&S user manual.
I tried to send this command directly to the EK895 with a terminal emulator.
This produced a correct reply from the radio - as long as - the parity is set to "ODD"
and the character length is set to 7 (see "attach_2").

I thought I would just set the radio interface to "NO PARITY" and 8 bits
but this turns out to be impossible according to the user manual (see "attach_3" and "attach_4").
It seems that R&S want users to always use some parity - at least with the EK895.

There does not seem to be a way of setting parity on the WSJT-X setup tab
so something in the Hamlib dll might have to be altered.

Someone might know if this applies to the other R&S radios?

Regards

David Owen

GM1OXB

Michael Black

Take this and place it in a file called "hamlib_settings.json" and place it in the same location as WSJT-X.ini
{     "config": { "serial_party": "Odd"
     }}
If it works OK I'll make the permanent change in Hamlib.
Mike W9MDB

On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 01:04:51 PM CDT, David Owen via groups.io <djmowen@...> wrote:

[...]

Please try this dll -- it's the 64-bit version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0

Mike W9MDB

David Owen

Thanks for your message. I will try that.
I am looking through the HamLib source code at the moment to see how it is supposed to work.

There may be different firmware versions of the EK895. The WSJT-X HamLib, for example, sends a
frequency command "F14097100,14097100" as if there were 2 VFOs in the radio but all the documentation I have
suggests there is only 1 VFO and that command would be illegal.

Regards

David Owen

Please try this dll -- it's the 64-bit version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aejdv74nfjxr0q/libhamlib-4.dll?dl=0>

Mike W9MDB