Cannot Select Sound Card #AudioIssues

Kenneth Hendrickson

I built from source on a Debian Linux box.  I cannot select any sound cards in the "Sound" tab of setup.  How do I fix it?

73,
Ken N8KH

Bill Somerville

On 23/06/2021 23:04, Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io wrote:
I built from source on a Debian Linux box.  I cannot select any sound cards in the "Sound" tab of setup.  How do I fix it?

73,
Ken N8KH
Hi Ken,

have you installed the libqt5multimedia5-plugins package as instructed in the WSJT-X User Guide?

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.4.0.html#INSTALL_LINUX

mattwood2000@...

Make sure you have qtmultimedia5-dev, libqt5multimedia5,
libqt5multimedia5-plugins, and libqt5multimediawidgets5 installed.
Possibly libqt5multimediaquick5 as well. My apt install history is
not up to date, but I remember fighting the same issue. Then rebuild
wstjx and you should be good to go.

73, Matt.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 6:25 PM Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io
<dsp_stap=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I built from source on a Debian Linux box. I cannot select any sound cards in the "Sound" tab of setup. How do I fix it?

73,
Ken N8KH

Kenneth Hendrickson

Thank you Bill.  I was missing a few libraries.  They are all installed now.  But I can't get audio out of my USB SignaLink with any setting.  It works on Windows, so I know the hardware works.  What else might I be missing?

PS The only setting that makes the waterfall move is "pulse".  But there is still no audio out of the sound card.

Kenneth Hendrickson

Thank you Matt.  I was missing a few libraries.  They are all installed now.  But I can't get audio out of my USB SignaLink with any setting.  It works on Windows, so I know the hardware works.  What else might I be missing?

On 29/06/2021 03:15, Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io wrote:
Thank you Bill.  I was missing a few libraries.  They are all installed now.  But I can't get audio out of my USB SignaLink with any setting.  It works on Windows, so I know the hardware works.  What else might I be missing?

PS The only setting that makes the waterfall move is "pulse".  But there is still no audio out of the sound card.
Hi Ken,

do you have audio devices listed in WSJT-X with ALSA in their names?

Kenneth Hendrickson

> do you have audio devices listed in WSJT-X with ALSA in their names?

No, but I had one with "pulse" in its name.  That was the only one for which the waterfall flowed, but there was no sound out of the sound card.

Bill Somerville

On 29/06/2021 11:49, Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io wrote:
do you have audio devices listed in WSJT-X with ALSA in their names?
No, but I had one with "pulse" in its name.  That was the only one for which the waterfall flowed, but there was no sound out of the sound card.
Hi Ken,

install the pavucontrol package and use that tool to view the available devices and control their levels.

mattwood2000@...

Hi Ken,

I was able to pull up my bash history on another machine I have wsjtx
installed on. This is what I installed:
paprefs, libboost-all-dev, libfftw3-dev, libusb-1.0-0-dev,
portaudio19-dev, qt5-default, qtmultimedia5-dev, qttools5-dev,
libqt5multimedia5, libqt5multimedia5-plugins, libqt5serialport5-dev

It might be the portaudio package that your missing. Also, don't
forget to re-configure and re-build after installing the dependencies.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:48 AM Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io

On 29/06/2021 12:44, mattwood2000@gmail.com wrote:
Also, don't
forget to re-configure and re-build after installing the dependencies.
OM,

that's not necessary, CMake handles missing packages being added with any need to reconfigure the build.

On 29/06/2021 15:18, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 29/06/2021 12:44, mattwood2000@... wrote:
Also, don't
forget to re-configure and re-build after installing the dependencies.

OM,

that's not necessary, CMake handles missing packages being added with any need to reconfigure the build.

s/with/without/

Kenneth Hendrickson

I did this, and I only saw a "default" device.

I have at least two sound cards: the one built into the motherboard, and a SignaLink USB.

Kenneth Hendrickson

The ones I didn't have installed, but now do, are:
  • paprefs
  • portaudio19-dev
The others I already had installed.
There was no improvement.  I still have the same situation I had before.  There is no sound card input I can select that gives me actual audio.  (But it works in Windows).

I'm stumped.

My next question is going to be: how do you build it in Windows, from source??

Kenneth Hendrickson

By the way, this is clearly too hard.  I've been using Linux since December 1991!  I've been compiling software from source since before even that.  The instructions are missing vital ingredients.

Bill Somerville

On 01/07/2021 04:13, Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io wrote:
By the way, this is clearly too hard.  I've been using Linux since December 1991! I've been compiling software from source since before even that. The instructions are missing vital ingredients.
Ken,

what vital ingredients are missing?

Kenneth Hendrickson

A list of everything needed ... all the prerequisite libraries, packages, etc.

If I knew what was missing I would not be asking for help in building this.  I would have a working binary.

Bill Somerville

On 01/07/2021 19:24, Kenneth Hendrickson via groups.io wrote:
A list of everything needed ... all the prerequisite libraries, packages, etc.

If I knew what was missing I would not be asking for help in building this.  I would have a working binary.
Ken,

that rather depends on the distribution of Linux you are using but there is a list for Debian and for Red Hat style distros at the top of the INSTALL file. There are some run time only ones also included in the WSJT-X User Guide Linux install section as they are needed if installing from a binary package. Please check those documents and then tell me which packages are missing?

Kenneth Hendrickson

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 01:26 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
There are some run time only ones also included in the WSJT-X User Guide Linux install section as they are needed if installing from a binary package
I have Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster).  I have ALL of the packages listed in the INSTALL file.

The code builds fine (with a few warnings -- mostly unused variables), but I cannot select a sound card, and I cannot get audio out of my sound card.  There are two sound cards on the box: the one built into the motherboard, and a USB SignaLink.

There must be something more that I need but do not have.

73 de N8KH

Kenneth Hendrickson

Let me re-phrase.  After installing more libraries, and building again, I have four sound cards to select from.  Only one allows the waterfall to flow, but it doesn't provide any audio.  So I cannot select a working sound card.

Kenneth Hendrickson

What other libraries or packages do I need?