moderated Call for information about PC systems being used for WSJT-X #general

Bill Somerville

Hi all WSJT-X users,

we are looking into some performance enhancements that will take advantage of some parallel processing features of modern CPU architectures. In order to gauge how much backwards compatibility for older CPUs we will have to implement it would help to know who is using such older processors. Please don't turn this thread in to a mine is better than yours conversation, all I need to know is who or how many of you are using the older CPU architectures. Note that this applies to MS Windows, Intel Linux, and Intel macOS users, it is about CPUs not operating systems.

The technology we will use is called AVX and that is present on all Intel CPUs branded Core i3/i5/i7/i9 (circa 2010 to present), it is also present on AMD CPUs since the Jaguar or Puma based CPU models (some late Athlon-II CPUs, all Zen based CPUs, including Ryzen) circa 2013 to present.

Notably Intel CPUs branded Celeron, Pentium, or Atom do not support the AVX technology.

So in summary, look up your CPU and if it **does not support AVX** (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions) then let me know.

Bill Lederer

Bill:

I'm running two intel NUCs that are apparently celerons--no avx when i look at /proc/cpuinfo.

I have actually been thinking of replacing them and repurposing them.  If there is a performance advantage for the next release, I don't mind replacing them.

w8lvn

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 6:37 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
[...]

--w8lvn--

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Bill,

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz   (Lynnfield)

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 6/8/2021 19:37, Bill Somerville wrote:

[...]

Kevin Utzy

Bill,

To clarify for me, what about ARM processors used in my case a RaspberryPi 4?

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

[...]

Larry

Bill,

My main desktop, which runs most of the station, has a Xeon X5570. It apparently does not support AVX. I have no plans to "update" that computer.

I also run 8 or so laptops for single rig applications that have Core 2 Duo processors of various flavors. I haven't been able to determine for sure if these support AVX or not but I doubt it.

Out in the shop I have a couple of old Pentium D's for hardware testing that don't need any real performance and I know those won't support AVX.

I do have a dozen or so 3rd and 4th generation i3/i5/i7 boxes around but they are generally not tasked with WSJTX duties.

73, Larry - W7IUV

On 6/8/2021 4:37 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

Bob Lewis

I'm using an AMD Athlon II X3 435 processor (2.90 GHz).

Charlie VK5VC

Hi Bill.
I am running a Series 8  Intel  i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz   (launched quarter 4 2017)
It does not mention AVX in the specs.

Cheers

Charlie VK5VC

groups@...

On 09/06/2021 00:37, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]
Hi Bill

Neither of my computers appear support AVX.

My normal machine for WSJTX is Intel Celeron Processor N3050 but I sometimes use an AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics on my main machine.

73
Roger, G4HZA

Bill Murray

Bill,
I am running an I5-650 @3200 (Clarkdale).  I've had it since ~2010 and is the main shack PC (Win10 Pro, 8gb).  The HWinfo64 program indicates that no AVX support is present.

73
Bill AF7WM

On 09/06/2021 07:55, Charlie VK5VC wrote:
Hi Bill.
I am running a Series 8  Intel  i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz   (launched quarter 4 2017)
It does not mention AVX in the specs.

Cheers

Charlie VK5VC
Hi Charlie,

I am sure it does have AVX, the spec sheet here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126686/intel-core-i7-8700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html includes AVX2 which is a superset including AVX.

Hi Kevin,

the vector processing on the Raspberry Pi ARM CPUs (actually on the FPU) does not readily allow us to make the specific micro-optimizations we are considering, I doubt that will be an issue since the modes where high performance computing has most benefit would not be suitable for small ARM CPUs like on the Pi. Don't worry, we will still support this platform for more routine day-to-day operation. Perhaps at some point in the future when the ARM VSE vector processing extension is available on smaller processors we will be able gain similar performance optimizations like we can now with AVX on Intel IA32/x86-64/AMD64 CPUs.

On 09/06/2021 01:29, Kevin Utzy wrote:
[...]

Charles Suckling

Hi Charlie and Bill

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret it, but intel's search page shows this:

image.png

I used this link to check mine:

Then typed the processor type here:

image.png

Then scroll  down to find the info under 'instruction set extensions' and if necessary click the ? for explanation.

Bill, is this right?

73

Charlie G3WDG

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 08:08, Charlie VK5VC <charlie_ar@...> wrote:
Hi Bill.
I am running a Series 8  Intel  i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz   (launched quarter 4 2017)
It does not mention AVX in the specs.

Cheers

Charlie VK5VC

johnsherry57

Hi Bill
Running an intel Pentium j2900
I don't think it supports avx
John GM0AZC

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021, 08:20 Bill Murray, <bmurray47@...> wrote:
[...]

James

Hi,

I am running a 2009 Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo which being the early generation I believe does not support AVX.

Thanks
James, G5JIM

On 9 Jun 2021, at 08:19, Bill Murray <bmurray47@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Chapman

Hi Bill

I'm currently running an Intel Core I3-370M processor, which apparently does not support AVX (see attached under Instruction Set Extensions)

Data from https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=52213,49020

Cheers

Rick (GM4JIB)

[...]

yes your CPU supports AVX, AVX2 is a superset including AVX.

On 09/06/2021 08:43, Charles Suckling wrote:
Hi Charlie and Bill

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret it, but intel's search page shows this:

image.png

I used this link to check mine:

Then typed the processor type here:

image.png

Then scroll  down to find the info under 'instruction set extensions' and if necessary click the ? for explanation.

Bill, is this right?

73

Charlie G3WDG

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 08:08, Charlie VK5VC <charlie_ar@...> wrote:
Hi Bill.
I am running a Series 8  Intel  i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz   (launched quarter 4 2017)
It does not mention AVX in the specs.

Cheers

Charlie VK5VC

Bill Somerville

Hi John,

you are correct, that CPU does not support any of the Intel advanced instruction set extensions, let alone AVX.

On 09/06/2021 09:16, johnsherry57 wrote:
[...]

Rick,

that's not correct, the information that your CPU supports AVX is right there in the screen capture you attached!

On 09/06/2021 09:46, Rick Chapman wrote:

[...]

Paul Selwood G3YDY

Hi Bill,
Using Intel(R) Celeron(r) CPU E3300 @2.50GHz
HTH
73
Paul
G3YDY

Joe Subich, W4TV

For windows based system, the utility CPU-Z will identify if your
processor supports the AVX instructions:

<https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html>

Bill FWIW, both of my systems (station and laptop) are 10-12 years old
but both have i7 processors that support AVX.

73,

... Joe, W4TV