locked Buying a New Computer #Yaesu #NewUser #windows11

Pete Smith

I think this is a little misleading.  Many motherboards now have built-in circuitry to drive one or two displays

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 5/10/2022 8:46 AM, Bill Ahillen wrote:
Make sure you have a video card because you don’t want to use CPU for processing display. Make sure monitors run off the video card, none plugged into the main processor board.

73
Bill W9JJB
On May 10, 2022, at 5:14 AM, William Smith<w_smith@...> wrote:

What Jim said, I’m in the middle of a move, and using a laptop has really made me appreciate my desktop (Mac) with multiple large screens, especially with my aging eyes.

At the end of the day, you can make WSJT-x work on any major system, Ive used Mac, Windows, Linux (Raspberry Pi OS nee Debian), and a real Frankenstein kludge [Mac mini, running Windows 10 under BootCamp, with WSL (Windows Subsystem, for Linux) running under Windows, and Debian running in WSL]. Don’t ask, but it worked.

If you are familiar with the Mac and it’s your preferred platform, I’d use that. There’s a fiddly thing you have to do _once_ to get the memory working right, but that’s an RTFM moment, and isn’t any harder than telling Windows 11 that you want to release the security locks on the microphone, for instance.

Enjoy!

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 10, 2022, at 2:07 AM, Jim Shepherd<nvjims@...> wrote:

Laptops or desktops should be able to use dual monitors, which will allow
you to have the 'big picture' with multiple windows open.

Ellis Birt (G7SAI)

WSJT-X runs on a variety of platforms. If you are not planning to dedicate the new computer to WSJT-X you should think about what else you want to do with it.

I would avoid getting a desktop PC. I understand your eyesight problems, I have to wear intermediate/close varifocals glasses for VDU work.

You could get an older, used 17" laptop (Choose one with changeable batteries) and install Linux. There is a good selection of amateur radio software for Linux.

If you do really want a desktop PC, look at the power consumption and size.

I would avoid Windows 11. It has not really settled down. Many power-users have stayed on Windows 10 due to the TPM requirement so it has not had the abuse previous versions had in their first 12 months.

73 de Ellis G7SAI

Robert44

Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

Evan Smith

OM,
Good Luck with the new computer. In March, I bought a new Windows 11 computer. I had a Windows 7 computer for 17 years that I found easy to deal with the digital aspects of our hobby. I hope you get good use from the computer. I've had lots of unresolved difficulties with EQSL, WSJT-x, LOTW, QRZ, HRD, MLog, I posted lots of questions on IO Groups. I got lots of answers, directions, encouragement, and advice etc. We have a great bunch of ops in our fraternity.. Hang in there.

Evan
KB2AMY
,

n5qs

I  must disagree with some.
Don't even consider a laptop no matter what size or OS.
You need at least 2 monitors and laptops are clunky at best and don't normally have the processing power
for both monitors (some do but not common)
I would avoid Windows 11 and 10 too if possible both have serious problems with forced updates.
Roger

On 5/10/2022 11:40 AM, Robert44 via groups.io wrote:
Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

Gilbert Baron

Good luck finding a laptop with 2 HDMI. Do not spend the Extra. USB-HDMI are cheap.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb