locked Buying a New Computer #Yaesu #NewUser #windows11

Pete Smith

I think this is a little misleading.  Many motherboards now have built-in circuitry to drive one or two displays

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 5/10/2022 8:46 AM, Bill Ahillen wrote:
Make sure you have a video card because you don’t want to use CPU for processing display. Make sure monitors run off the video card, none plugged into the main processor board.

Bill W9JJB
On May 10, 2022, at 5:14 AM, William Smith<w_smith@...> wrote:

What Jim said, I’m in the middle of a move, and using a laptop has really made me appreciate my desktop (Mac) with multiple large screens, especially with my aging eyes.

At the end of the day, you can make WSJT-x work on any major system, Ive used Mac, Windows, Linux (Raspberry Pi OS nee Debian), and a real Frankenstein kludge [Mac mini, running Windows 10 under BootCamp, with WSL (Windows Subsystem, for Linux) running under Windows, and Debian running in WSL]. Don’t ask, but it worked.

If you are familiar with the Mac and it’s your preferred platform, I’d use that. There’s a fiddly thing you have to do _once_ to get the memory working right, but that’s an RTFM moment, and isn’t any harder than telling Windows 11 that you want to release the security locks on the microphone, for instance.

Enjoy!

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 10, 2022, at 2:07 AM, Jim Shepherd<nvjims@...> wrote:

Laptops or desktops should be able to use dual monitors, which will allow
you to have the 'big picture' with multiple windows open.

Ellis Birt (G7SAI)

WSJT-X runs on a variety of platforms. If you are not planning to dedicate the new computer to WSJT-X you should think about what else you want to do with it.

I would avoid getting a desktop PC. I understand your eyesight problems, I have to wear intermediate/close varifocals glasses for VDU work.

You could get an older, used 17" laptop (Choose one with changeable batteries) and install Linux. There is a good selection of amateur radio software for Linux.

If you do really want a desktop PC, look at the power consumption and size.

I would avoid Windows 11. It has not really settled down. Many power-users have stayed on Windows 10 due to the TPM requirement so it has not had the abuse previous versions had in their first 12 months.

73 de Ellis G7SAI

Robert44

Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

Evan Smith

OM,
Good Luck with the new computer. In March, I bought a new Windows 11 computer. I had a Windows 7 computer for 17 years that I found easy to deal with the digital aspects of our hobby. I hope you get good use from the computer. I've had lots of unresolved difficulties with EQSL, WSJT-x, LOTW, QRZ, HRD, MLog, I posted lots of questions on IO Groups. I got lots of answers, directions, encouragement, and advice etc. We have a great bunch of ops in our fraternity.. Hang in there.

Evan
KB2AMY

n5qs

I  must disagree with some.
Don't even consider a laptop no matter what size or OS.
You need at least 2 monitors and laptops are clunky at best and don't normally have the processing power
for both monitors (some do but not common)
I would avoid Windows 11 and 10 too if possible both have serious problems with forced updates.
Roger

On 5/10/2022 11:40 AM, Robert44 via groups.io wrote:
Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

Gilbert Baron

Good luck finding a laptop with 2 HDMI. Do not spend the Extra. USB-HDMI are cheap.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Shepherd
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 1:08 AM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Buying a New Computer

Windows 10 and 11 work well. The problem with Linux is that there are a lot of other ham radio programs that do not work on it... There is a whole lot more ham radio software for windows...

Laptops or desktops should be able to use dual monitors, which will allow you to have the 'big picture' with multiple windows open. They should have at least 3 usb ports for radio connections & accessories, and 2 hdmi ports for monitors.

Jim W6US

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Jim Brown

On 5/10/2022 9:48 AM, n5qs wrote:
I  must disagree with some.
You need at least 2 monitors and laptops are clunky at best and don't normally have the processing power
I've been using nothing but Thinkpads since 2004, and used them in my consulting biz, where they ran pretty intensive modeling acoustic software (FAR more complex than antenna modeling). They drive at least one external monitor just fine, and I don't know where I could possibly put a second one. My shack has three monitors, two for each of the Elecraft P3 spectrum displays in my SO2R contesting station, and one for the computer, a Thinkpad T540 that has no problem running RTTY on two radios with multiple receive decoders, browsing, and other stuff.

My last "old iron" tower died two years ago.

73, Jim K9YC

The Greene Family

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Generation 2. Gen 2 versions are long discontinued, and Adorama was getting rid of their stock. So, I grabbed one while I could.

I can't vouch for or against newer versions, but I've had good luck with this one.

Clarke K1JX

Mike Chace-Ortiz

Afternoon Robert

Same setup here through the rig is an IC7300 with RUMLogNG, GridTracker and WSJT-X (or JS8Call when I want to chat). Such a great combo that automates everything.

Not had any issues with Big Sur or Monterey on a 27in iMac and 13in MacBook Pro when portable.

Same goes for my FT818 when used with an audio & CAT interface from XGGComms.

I’ve been doing a challenge only using 10W or less exclusively on 10m FT8 with an inverted V dipole at 20ft agl and seeing how many countries and grids I can confirm in 2022. Currently up to 73 countries and 386 grids confirmed. So much fun!

—mco

On May 9, 2022, at 11:55 PM, jbozell via groups.io <jbozell@...> wrote:

Hi Robert,

I have a MacBook pro and have coupled it with my 7610. It was basically seamless and has remained so. It's also well sync'd with GridTracker, JT-Bridge and 9RUMlog. That said, it seems like the interface between WSJT and Yaesu is a little fussy for reasons I don't understand. But there also seems to be a lot of complaining about Linux and Windows interfaces. That's a non statistical, personal observation and the experts with those 9platforms will obviously have different opinions.

My feeling is that the Mac will work with your setup...it might just take a little more messing around. I just don't see as many problems with Mac compared to the other platforms.

And i really don't want to start a computer holy war. To each his/her own. 😁😁

Good luck!

Joe/WB0CDY

Jim Brown

On 5/9/2022 6:51 PM, Robert Bower wrote:
POTA?  If yes you need a laptop.
YES. For a VERY difficult 6M grid activation (3 mile challenging trail that gains 1,500 ft, only pack animals are humans) I bought a used X230 Thinkpad with 8GB (max for that machine) and SSD, with extra high capacity battery and Win7 Pro.(This was five years ago) It runs WSJT-X just fine, including full tolerance for MSK144. Age 80, I'm well past making that trek, but loaned to the 75 year old guys who made the climb.

I chose that machine for its light weight (the most lightweight Thinkpad). The activators have to drag a LOT of other stuff.

73, Jim K9YC

Robert44

Thanks everyone. It seems to me that folks either have a difficult time with WSJT-X or an easy time. I think I'm in the former. I had my setup working well except once in a while the setup would not transmit. This was cured by restarting the computer and doing a full factory reset on the radio (Yaesu FT-991A). I'm not sure if both the restart and reset were required but that's what I did. But now this does not work and no matter what I do the radio will not transmit. The radio works fine on voice modes and the computer seems to work fine also. I'm sitting here typing on it now.

I'm at a dead end and I read somewhere in this forum that the latest version of WSJT-X has some bugs with Macs. I'm pretty good on radio theory but I'm as smart as a box of rocks when it comes to computers so perhaps I'm just doing something wrong but the odd thing is I did have it working.

Robert KI5TPC

Tom KG3V <KG3V@...>

Robert,

Just want to share some information, but not sure if it will help with your problem:

I have an FTDX-3000 and infrequently when I bring everything up, it will not transmit. Usually power-cycling the radio and restarting WINDOWS solves the issue. There is also a setting on the Radio that tells it where to get transmit Keying from, when using Digital Modes. Somehow that seems to get changed at times. and I have to change that setting.

I figured this was just a WINDOWS thing, due to the complexity of the interfaces and the many different setups used by people with WSJT-X and WINDOWS.

Tom, KG3V

On 5/10/2022 7:26:02 PM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone. It seems to me that folks either have a difficult time with WSJT-X or an easy time. I think I'm in the former. I had my setup working well except once in a while the setup would not transmit. This was cured by restarting the computer and doing a full factory reset on the radio (Yaesu FT-991A). I'm not sure if both the restart and reset were required but that's what I did. But now this does not work and no matter what I do the radio will not transmit. The radio works fine on voice modes and the computer seems to work fine also. I'm sitting here typing on it now.

I'm at a dead end and I read somewhere in this forum that the latest version of WSJT-X has some bugs with Macs. I'm pretty good on radio theory but I'm as smart as a box of rocks when it comes to computers so perhaps I'm just doing something wrong but the odd thing is I did have it working.

Robert KI5TPC

Jim Nuytens

I've been running a Windows computer with a Navigator USB interface for over 14 years. First on W7, then on W10. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had any USB audio issues running this setup.

While it's true that certain Windows updates have been know to scramble USB audio devices, it takes all of 2 minutes to correct it. I've had to do that 3 times in 14 years. That's 3 times over countless Windows updates.

As always, YMMV.

On 5/10/2022 3:13 AM, Roger wrote:

It seems to me that windows has major problems with USB audio which would preclude me purchasing a windows computers.

Bill Lederer

I would disagree with this.

I have multiple laptops in my business, and use small Intel NUCs for wsjtx
and logging. The smallest laptop I have is many times more powerful than
this.

One of my laptops, a 16", drives a Levano 39 inch monitor with no problems
whatsoever, and does some very heavy processing.

If I were to go windows, I would pick a thinkpad without hesitation.

w8lvn

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:48 AM n5qs <ygroup@...> wrote:

I must disagree with some.
You need at least 2 monitors and laptops are clunky at best and don't
normally have the processing power
I would avoid Windows 11 and 10 too if possible both have serious
problems with forced updates.
Roger

Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering
what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one
vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set
up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have
thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

--
--w8lvn--

Ellis Birt (G7SAI)

Hi all,

I use a laptop for my work. I have external 4K and 1080p monitors
connected to a docking station. I use the laptop screen for outlook/teams
and when remote desktop connected to my personal computer the grid tracker
map display. I also have an older Dell Linux laptop that I mainly use
docked with the lid closed via remote desktop. It uses less power than a
desktop and can easily be un-docked for use elsewhere such as by my
daughter when she was home-learning and my wife needed her laptop for work.

Modern 'desktop replacement' laptops are very powerful, but if you use all
the power, they will hammer their batteries. They are most at home
connected to the mains.

Talking of batteries, If you predominantly use your laptop on mains the
battery will degrade. Many have the ability to limit charge to 80% and to
have timed battery-only operating periods. I have mine programmed to
discharge while I take my lunch break.

73 de Ellis G7SAI

On Tue, 10 May 2022, 17:48 n5qs, <ygroup@...> wrote:

I must disagree with some.
You need at least 2 monitors and laptops are clunky at best and don't
normally have the processing power
I would avoid Windows 11 and 10 too if possible both have serious
problems with forced updates.
Roger

Wow thanks everyone for your insightful responses! I'm still pondering
what to do.

Perhaps a bit off the original topic but does it matter if you use one
vs two cables from the computer to the radio (assuming the setting are set
up correctly)? I have A LOT of problems making my Mac transmit and have
thought about setting things up for two cables. Thanks again!

Robert KI5TPC

Robert44

Thanks everyone for the tips! I've gone through and tried your tips as best I can and still no joy. I think I'm going to load WSJT-X on my wife's Mac (same as mine) and give it a try.

Robert KI5TPC

Bill Ahillen

The use of the Vedic card is important not because of the ports but rather it sucks up a lot of your CPU you need to process decodes and JTAlert or CWSkimmer if you use that.

If you have a 4K monitor even the more important.

Bill

On May 10, 2022, at 11:59 AM, Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

Good luck finding a laptop with 2 HDMI. Do not spend the Extra. USB-HDMI are cheap.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Windows 10 and 11 work well. The problem with Linux is that there are a lot of other ham radio programs that do not work on it... There is a whole lot more ham radio software for windows...

Laptops or desktops should be able to use dual monitors, which will allow you to have the 'big picture' with multiple windows open. They should have at least 3 usb ports for radio connections & accessories, and 2 hdmi ports for monitors.

Jim W6US

--

HP Laptop

Robert44

Thanks Bill and everyone. I tried my wife's computer and still no joy. I'm beginning to suspect that my radio may be defective. I'll report back if I learn more. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

Bill Ahillen

Sorry

Video card

On May 12, 2022, at 8:47 AM, Bill Ahillen <bahillen@...> wrote:

The use of the Vedic card is important not because of the ports but rather it sucks up a lot of your CPU you need to process decodes and JTAlert or CWSkimmer if you use that.

If you have a 4K monitor even the more important.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On May 10, 2022, at 11:59 AM, Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Jim W6US

--

HP Laptop

Robert44

Update. I'm now thinking that the issue might be RF in the shack. I have gone over this in another thread here. Many thanks everyone!!!

Robert KI5TPC