locked #JT9 Using JT9.EXE #JT9

Andy Talbot

I want to use the command line driven JT9.EXE prog to decode some JT9-Fast
signals.
While the -Help option shows which tags to include for modes and submodes,
I don't see any indication of what to include to decode teh -fast modes.

I also assume the " -b " submode tag applies to whichever mode is selected.

So I see the full command, for JT9G-Fast on 10 seconds cycle time, 700Hz,
300Hz DF looking something like this:

JT9 -9 -b G -p 10 -f 700 -F 300 [wav file name]

OR does the fact its specifying a short cycle time automatically signal to
use -fast mode decoding?

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Andy Talbot

If I go into the WSJT...bin folder and issue the command: JT9 -9 -b G
-p 10 -f 700 -F 300 \jt9exe\220926_104120.wav
the result is this lot. The file specified is a valid, and correctly
decoded, 10 second file with a short burst of JT9G-Fast at a good S/N
C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin>JT9 -9 -b G -p 10 -f 700 -F 300 \jt9exe\220926_104120.wav

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory
reference.

Backtrace for this error:
#0 0xffffffff
#1 0xffffffff
#2 0xffffffff
#3 0xffffffff
#4 0xffffffff
#5 0xffffffff
#6 0xffffffff
#7 0xffffffff
#8 0xffffffff
#9 0xffffffff
#10 0xffffffff
#11 0xffffffff
#12 0xffffffff
#13 0xffffffff
#14 0xffffffff

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 12:00, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I want to use the command line driven JT9.EXE prog to decode some
JT9-Fast signals.
While the -Help option shows which tags to include for modes and submodes,
I don't see any indication of what to include to decode teh -fast modes.

I also assume the " -b " submode tag applies to whichever mode is
selected.

So I see the full command, for JT9G-Fast on 10 seconds cycle time, 700Hz,
300Hz DF looking something like this:

JT9 -9 -b G -p 10 -f 700 -F 300 [wav file name]

OR does the fact its specifying a short cycle time automatically signal to
use -fast mode decoding?

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Michael Black

Can you put up your wav file so we can test it?
Mike W9MDB

#0  0xffffffff
#1  0xffffffff
#2  0xffffffff
#3  0xffffffff
#4  0xffffffff
#5  0xffffffff
#6  0xffffffff
#7  0xffffffff
#8  0xffffffff
#9  0xffffffff
#10  0xffffffff
#11  0xffffffff
#12  0xffffffff
#13  0xffffffff
#14  0xffffffff

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 12:00, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I want  to use the command line driven JT9.EXE prog to decode some
JT9-Fast signals.
While the -Help option shows which tags to include for modes and submodes,
I don't see any indication of what to include to decode teh -fast modes.

I also assume the  " -b " submode tag applies to whichever mode is
selected.

So I see the full command, for JT9G-Fast on 10 seconds cycle time, 700Hz,
300Hz DF  looking something like this:

JT9 -9 -b G -p 10 -f 700 -F 300 [wav file name]

OR does the fact its specifying a short cycle time automatically signal to
use -fast mode decoding?

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Andy Talbot

Here's the .WAV file I can't get JT9.EXE to decode
There is one short burst of 2 frames of JT9G-Fast in that 10 second file

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Michael Black

This works on Linux (but does not show any decodes).
It fails on Windows.
Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 12:57:59 PM CDT, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Here's the .WAV file I can't get JT9.EXE to decode
There is one short burst of 2 frames of JT9G-Fast in that 10 second file

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Andy Talbot

Yet reading it into the WSJT-X main package it decodes perfectly.
(version 2.5.4)

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Andy Talbot

To prove JT9.EXE can be made to work, at G3WDG's suggestion I tried it with a Q65A file generated by Q65sim, and it decoded perfectly.
When I mistyped the file path/name it gave a similar looking error error message, which could have been a clue...

But no, even after double and triple checking the path/name, JT9.EXE will still not look at that 10 second .WAV file.

Just as an experiment, later today I'll try recording a 60 second one - as that seems to be one major difference between the successful Q65A decode and the failed JT9G-Fast

Andy G4JNT

Andy Talbot

I've now tried different options of JT9.EXE, and it works OK with Q65 mode, even when specifying a non-valid file (a JT9 one, just to be silly) . But ANY attempt to use the -9 option to decode a JT9 signal of any flavour or length, just generates this error / traceback dump.

Andy G4JNT
C:\wsjt\wsjtx\bin>JT9 -9 -b G -p 30 -f 700 -F 300 C:\jt9exe\JT9GFast30s01.wav

#0 0xffffffff
#1 0xffffffff
#2 0xffffffff
#3 0xffffffff
#4 0xffffffff
#5 0xffffffff
#6 0xffffffff
#7 0xffffffff
#8 0xffffffff
#9 0xffffffff
#10 0xffffffff
#11 0xffffffff
#12 0xffffffff
#13 0xffffffff
#14 0xffffffff

C:\wsjt\wsjtx\bin>

Joe

Hi Andy,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 04:01 AM, Andy Talbot wrote:
I want to use the command line driven JT9.EXE prog to decode some JT9-Fast
signals.
While the -Help option shows which tags to include for modes and submodes,
I don't see any indication of what to include to decode the -fast modes.
The jt9[.exe] help message does not mention fast modes because jt9[.exe] decodes only the slow modes in WSJT-X. Fast modes are decoded in the main executable, wsjtx[.exe]. THis is because fast modes are decoded "on the fly", rather than at the end of an Rx sequence.

Years ago, when the JT9 fast modes were first introduced, I wrote a simple command-line program for my own testing purposes. If you'd like to try it, I have posted a windows executable here:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/tmp/testfast9.exe

Here are simple examples of its use from a Windows bash shell:

$ testfast9
Usage: testfast9 submode infile
Example: testfast9 E 150806_123300.wav
.
$ testfast9 G /c/tmp/220926_104120.wav
104120 0 0.0 700 @ IO90IV58AK69.

Andy Talbot

Tnx Joe
testfast9.exe Works perfectly

(Especially after I realised the file names had to be roughly the original
format saved by WSJT-X, using a six-digit time as the first part of
the file name. My conveniently renamed short file names failed)

Andy
www.g4jnt.com