locked Please use the JTAlert Messaging feature #QSO_practices

Tim Brannon, WA5MD

I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert companion program for WSJT-X.
Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline on JT Alert.
The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might occur in a CW contact.
Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a QSO should be passed in WSJT-X.
However, I see nothing wrong with a "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending "RR73" multiple times during a contact.

73 de Tim, WA5MD

Tim Dawson

Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .

Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others).

On September 12, 2022 8:38:59 PM CDT, Timothy Brannon <timbmd@...> wrote:
I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert companion program for WSJT-X.
Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline on JT Alert.
The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might occur in a CW contact.
Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a QSO should be passed in WSJT-X.
However, I see nothing wrong with a "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending "RR73" multiple times during a contact.

73 de Tim, WA5MD

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jim Brown

On 9/12/2022 6:38 PM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
Agreed on all counts. Several times I've been able to use it to get someone to look for me, and even to suggest a clear frequency on his end.

And yes, the only legit uses of ANY non-radio communications are 1) coordinating time/frequency to begin it and 2) "got RRR" or "got RR73" when the QSO is complete.

73, Jim K9YC

Tim Brannon, WA5MD

"Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .
Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others)."
I suspect Laurie would agree, but I believe JTAlert is a one-man operation, and a hobby at that.
Supporting multiple platforms would be a huge undertaking for him.

Ray

I do use JT Alert, and use the msg app. Remember that there are other time apps, and I believe the "Offline" msg simply means the station is not using JT Alert.
To each his own, that's what makes Ham Radio great.

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

There is an email address for 4X4ZP on QRZ dot com.

Ever tried to use email ? It exists since the beginning of the Internet.

And you don't have to bother with the annoying JTAlert messages that come in by the tons...

Barry Bogart

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that capability too, BTW.)
I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

I wish everyone used the messaging option. Had a good qso with a South American stn on 10M and chatted a while

--
*73'S DAVE NU4N*

Tim Dawson

Not if the developer makes the decision, up front, to use a portable toolkit.

Then it is a complete and total non issue . . .

- Tim

On 09/13/2022 07:18 AM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
"Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .
Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others)."
I suspect Laurie would agree, but I believe JTAlert is a one-man operation, and a hobby at that.
Supporting multiple platforms would be a huge undertaking for him.

--
Tim Dawson

972-567-9360

Eugene Morgan

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO confirmations for hard to get states. Thus far no one I've exchanged emails with was offended or put off. In fact I've established some friendships that way. I would encourage it. But I only send a thank you email for states that have been really hard to get, which for me has been North and South Dakota and a few states in the North East. ;-)

On only one occasion was I involved in an email exchange setting up a FT8 sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both. I personally wouldn't be the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me. I'd be happy to accommodate. I know others might disagree and that's cool. As long as one is not breaking any rules or inconveniencing someone else I wouldn't see the harm in it.

Gene
WB7RLX

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Barry Bogart
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 8:37 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Please use the JTAlert Messaging feature #QSO_practices

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that capability too, BTW.) I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

Bill, WB6JJJ

I agree,
Recently, I had a QSO with a station on 17 Meters from a state that I needed on 12 Meters. I sent a quick note asking if he would QSY to 12 Meters - he was nice enough to do it and we were able to make that Q. It was my last state needed on 12 Meters. Now, just two states left for 9-band WAS.
The note feature is nice to have…. I also met WB5JJJ that way. Much fun.

Bill
WB6JJJ

On Sep 13, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Eugene Morgan <ee_morgan@...> wrote:

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO confirmations for hard to get states. Thus far no one I've exchanged emails with was offended or put off. In fact I've established some friendships that way. I would encourage it. But I only send a thank you email for states that have been really hard to get, which for me has been North and South Dakota and a few states in the North East. ;-)

On only one occasion was I involved in an email exchange setting up a FT8 sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both. I personally wouldn't be the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me. I'd be happy to accommodate. I know others might disagree and that's cool. As long as one is not breaking any rules or inconveniencing someone else I wouldn't see the harm in it.

Gene
WB7RLX

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Barry Bogart
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Please use the JTAlert Messaging feature #QSO_practices

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that capability too, BTW.) I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

What is wrong with using good old fashion SSB?  There is a lot less
headaches and computer issues to deal with.

Bob, K4TAX

On 9/13/2022 10:47 AM, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
I wish everyone used the messaging option. Had a good qso with a South American stn on 10M and chatted a while
--
In life it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

K7RA Tad Cook

Don't know what happened, but suddenly I cannot see the file menu to access
settings.

Using Windows 11. There is nothing in the top left corner!

Should I just uninstall and reinstall the program?

K7RA

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Eugene Morgan <ee_morgan@...> wrote:

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO confirmations
for hard to get states. Thus far no one I've exchanged emails with was
offended or put off. In fact I've established some friendships that way.
I would encourage it. But I only send a thank you email for states that
have been really hard to get, which for me has been North and South Dakota
and a few states in the North East. ;-)

On only one occasion was I involved in an email exchange setting up a FT8
sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both. I personally wouldn't be
the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me. I'd be
happy to accommodate. I know others might disagree and that's cool. As
long as one is not breaking any rules or inconveniencing someone else I
wouldn't see the harm in it.

Gene
WB7RLX

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Barry Bogart
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Please use the JTAlert Messaging feature
#QSO_practices

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that
it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that
capability too, BTW.) I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to
me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state
or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

--

*Listen for K7RA/B CW beacon on 28.2833 MHz.*

*Tad Cook - K7RA*
*Seattle, WA*

*k7ra@... <k7ra@...>*

K7RA Tad Cook

Very sorry, but I could not figure out how to post without just replying to
a thread, and in doing so, was unable to change the title of my message.
Regarding my problem, I suspect it was caused by today's Windows Update. I
am rolling back the update now.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 9:06 PM Tad Cook <k7ra@...> wrote:

Don't know what happened, but suddenly I cannot see the file menu to
access settings.

Using Windows 11. There is nothing in the top left corner!

K7RA

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Eugene Morgan <ee_morgan@...>
wrote:

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO
confirmations for hard to get states. Thus far no one I've exchanged
emails with was offended or put off. In fact I've established some
friendships that way. I would encourage it. But I only send a thank you
email for states that have been really hard to get, which for me has been
North and South Dakota and a few states in the North East. ;-)

sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both. I personally wouldn't be
the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me. I'd be
happy to accommodate. I know others might disagree and that's cool. As

Gene
WB7RLX

Barry Bogart
#QSO_practices

VE7VIE

--

*Tad Cook - K7RA*
*Seattle, WA*

*k7ra@... <k7ra@...>*

--

*Tad Cook - K7RA*
*Seattle, WA*

*k7ra@... <k7ra@...>*

Reino Talarmo

On the right hand side on the middle commands row there is a selection box Menus. It should be selected to see the top menu row.
73, Reino OH3mA

PS Although this is totally off-topic I wanted to inform.
Reino

Jim Brown

On 9/13/2022 7:08 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
What is wrong with using good old fashion SSB?  There is a lot less
headaches and computer issues to deal with.
The 20 dB advantage of FT8 over SSB to get over receive noise. That's 100 times the power. Or CW, which has a 10 dB advantage over SSB.

73, Jim K9YC

David Ackrill

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 08:42 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

Ever tried to use email ? It exists since the beginning of the Internet.
For me email isn't an instantaneous message system. The laptop I have for email is downstairs, the shack is upstairs and I usually check my email account about twice a day. Once in the morning and again in late afternoon, so it wouldn't help me if someone messaged me in between times to say that they could hear me. I don't even have my phone with me when I'm on air. That's usually downstairs on charge for if I go out, and then I'm not on the radio either.

Dave (G0DJA)

Roger

On 13/09/2022 02:38, Timothy Brannon wrote:
73 de Tim, WA5MD
Tim

You have to remember that JTAlert is only available for one operating system whilst WSJTX is available for three operating systems so it not available for all.

Roger
GW4HZA

Michael Black

To the right of the button row check the Menus box.
Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:30:38 AM CDT, K7RA Tad Cook <k7ra@...> wrote:

Don't know what happened, but suddenly I cannot see the file menu to access
settings.

Using Windows 11.  There is nothing in the top left corner!

K7RA

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Eugene Morgan <ee_morgan@...> wrote:

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO confirmations
for hard to get states.  Thus far no one I've exchanged emails with was
offended or put off.  In fact I've established some friendships that way.
I would encourage it.  But I only send a thank you email for states that
have been really hard to get, which for me has been North and South Dakota
and a few states in the North East.  ;-)

sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both.  I personally wouldn't be
the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me.  I'd be
happy to accommodate.  I know others might disagree and that's cool.  As

Gene
WB7RLX

Barry Bogart
#QSO_practices

VE7VIE

--

*Tad Cook - K7RA*
*Seattle, WA*

*k7ra@... <k7ra@...>*

Kurt Cathcart

Great ask.

My biggest ask is that people figure out how to not send the alerts over the air.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 9/12/2022 9:38 PM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert > companion program for WSJT-X. Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 >
meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. > I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline > on JT Alert. The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the > opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might > occur in a CW contact. Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT > Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a > QSO should be passed in WSJT-X. However, I see nothing wrong with a > "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending > "RR73" multiple times during a contact. > > 73 de Tim, WA5MD > > >