locked Please use the JTAlert Messaging feature #QSO_practices

Tim Brannon, WA5MD

I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert companion program for WSJT-X.
Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline on JT Alert.
The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might occur in a CW contact.
Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a QSO should be passed in WSJT-X.
However, I see nothing wrong with a "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending "RR73" multiple times during a contact.

73 de Tim, WA5MD

Tim Dawson

Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .

Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others).

On September 12, 2022 8:38:59 PM CDT, Timothy Brannon <timbmd@...> wrote:
I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert companion program for WSJT-X.
Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline on JT Alert.
The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might occur in a CW contact.
Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a QSO should be passed in WSJT-X.
However, I see nothing wrong with a "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending "RR73" multiple times during a contact.

73 de Tim, WA5MD

Jim Brown

On 9/12/2022 6:38 PM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
I want to advocate for more use of the Messaging app in the JT Alert companion program for WSJT-X.
Right now, I'm watching 4X4ZP on 30 meters with a workable -15 dB signal into North America at 0120 UTC. I'd love to let him know he's being heard in Texas, but he's Offline on JT Alert.
The Messaging app in JT Alert also gives you the opportunity to exchange some of those personal comments that might occur in a CW contact.
Certainly, I do NOT advocate for using JT Alert messaging to complete a contact - all information to complete a QSO should be passed in WSJT-X.
However, I see nothing wrong with a "You're in the log" message sent to those who insist on sending "RR73" multiple times during a contact.
Agreed on all counts. Several times I've been able to use it to get someone to look for me, and even to suggest a clear frequency on his end.

And yes, the only legit uses of ANY non-radio communications are 1) coordinating time/frequency to begin it and 2) "got RRR" or "got RR73" when the QSO is complete.

73, Jim K9YC

Tim Brannon, WA5MD

"Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .
Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others)."
I suspect Laurie would agree, but I believe JTAlert is a one-man operation, and a hobby at that.
Supporting multiple platforms would be a huge undertaking for him.

Ray

I do use JT Alert, and use the msg app. Remember that there are other time apps, and I believe the "Offline" msg simply means the station is not using JT Alert.
To each his own, that's what makes Ham Radio great.

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

There is an email address for 4X4ZP on QRZ dot com.

Ever tried to use email ? It exists since the beginning of the Internet.

And you don't have to bother with the annoying JTAlert messages that come in by the tons...

Barry Bogart

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that capability too, BTW.)
I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

I wish everyone used the messaging option. Had a good qso with a South American stn on 10M and chatted a while

--
*73'S DAVE NU4N*

Tim Dawson

Not if the developer makes the decision, up front, to use a portable toolkit.

Then it is a complete and total non issue . . .

- Tim

On 09/13/2022 07:18 AM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
"Your request would be a lot easier to fulfill if JTAlert supported advanced platforms and not just Whinders . . . .
Non-portable software is a complete non-starter in my world (and that of many others)."
I suspect Laurie would agree, but I believe JTAlert is a one-man operation, and a hobby at that.
Supporting multiple platforms would be a huge undertaking for him.

--
Tim Dawson

972-567-9360

Eugene Morgan

I often send "thank you" emails to stations that give me QSO confirmations for hard to get states. Thus far no one I've exchanged emails with was offended or put off. In fact I've established some friendships that way. I would encourage it. But I only send a thank you email for states that have been really hard to get, which for me has been North and South Dakota and a few states in the North East. ;-)

On only one occasion was I involved in an email exchange setting up a FT8 sked and it was mutually beneficial for us both. I personally wouldn't be the least bit offended if someone requested an FT8 sked with me. I'd be happy to accommodate. I know others might disagree and that's cool. As long as one is not breaking any rules or inconveniencing someone else I wouldn't see the harm in it.

Gene
WB7RLX

I was shocked to get a message this way. I didn't know it existed or that it was enabled. (Later I noticed that Gridtracker seems to have that capability too, BTW.) I would feel a little strange using it for 'listen to me!', but I have been tempted to use it to thank someone one in a new state or country after the contact. That's just me.
VE7VIE

Bill, WB6JJJ

I agree,
Recently, I had a QSO with a station on 17 Meters from a state that I needed on 12 Meters. I sent a quick note asking if he would QSY to 12 Meters - he was nice enough to do it and we were able to make that Q. It was my last state needed on 12 Meters. Now, just two states left for 9-band WAS.
The note feature is nice to have…. I also met WB5JJJ that way. Much fun.

Bill
WB6JJJ