locked Please do NOT discuss WSJTX forks on this forum. #special

Roger

Please do not discuss WSJTX forks on this forum. The reason is that I do not know which forks comply with the WSJTX licence and those that do not.

If you wish to discuss WSJTX forks I suggest you go to their dedicated forums.

Those mentioning WSJTX forks are placed in permanent moderation.

73
Roger
moderator
GW4HZA

Roger

On 01/09/2022 13:00, Roger wrote:
Please do not discuss WSJTX forks on this forum.  The reason is that I do not know which forks comply with the WSJTX licence and those that do not.
If you wish to discuss WSJTX forks I suggest you go to their dedicated forums.
Those mentioning WSJTX forks are placed in permanent moderation.
73
Roger
moderator
GW4HZA
Less than two weeks after posting this someone had the audacity to start a discussion.

I do have the ability to place offenders in permanent moderation, banned from posting, or banned from the forum which I have done in this case.

Please respect this long-standing forum rule.

73
Roger
moderator
GW4HZA

w5ec

I must be missing something. What are WSJTX forks?

William Smith

What, are you looking to get banned? 8*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development) Other programs based on WSJT that may or may not have extra functions that may or may not honor the WSJT software liscense and may or may not be legal to use in various jurisdictions, the discussions of which will blow up the list and cause acromony to no useful purpose.

<mic drop>

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 14, 2022, at 9:34 AM, w5ec <bhw5ec@...> wrote:

I must be missing something. What are WSJTX forks?

JP Tucson, AZ

U.K. - "Forks" =
U.S. - "Derivative"

Example - something that is based on another source.
"a derivative of the system was chosen for..."

"Fork" = something we in the U.S. use to eat with...
Oh those British and their mangling of the English language! Hahaha...
(Took me a while to understand that when they talk about "valves"; they mean "vacuum tubes"...).

And I thought the term “fork” in this usage derived from computer jargon – as in fork-join.

Phil.

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Dave AA6YQ

The notion of a "fork" goes back decades to the earliest software configuration management systems. One might "fork" a code base to run on a different operating system, for example.

Think "fork in the road", not "eating utensil".

73,

Dave, AA6YQ