locked CQ Only vs. Tx4,5,6 Only? #QSO_practices

Rick Tavan

The CQ Only option trims the left All Traffic window pretty drastically: A
station that has just called CQ is definitely looking for a call. However,
a station that has just sent Tx5 73 or a station that has just sent Tx4
RR73/RRR can be presumed (almost) done with a QSO and therefore also
available. Overlapping a new call-in with a 73 is a welcome time saver, as
is a call after sending 73. If the presumption of availability is incorrect
due to a requested repeat transmission or a station going QRT, your new Tx1
call is easily ignored. Could/should there be an option to list Tx5 and 4
messages on the left, as well as Tx6, i.e. all the "fair game" that one
might want to call?

73,

/Rick N6XI

--
Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Reino Talarmo

Could/should there be an option to list Tx5 and 4 messages on the left, as well as Tx6, i.e. all the "fair game" that one might want to call?
Rick,

Have you checked how the new feature in 2.6.0 behaves in that respect? Release notes states:
- Add optional highlighting of messages containing RR73 or 73

73, Reino OH3mA

If you have Gridtracker, the latest version treats “RR73” same as CQ, flags it and calls it out audibly (if you’ve chosen that option.)

On Aug 31, 2022, at 4:05 AM, Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...> wrote:

Could/should there be an option to list Tx5 and 4 messages on the left, as well as Tx6, i.e. all the "fair game" that one might want to call?
Rick,

Have you checked how the new feature in 2.6.0 behaves in that respect? Release notes states:
- Add optional highlighting of messages containing RR73 or 73

73, Reino OH3mA

Rick Tavan

No! I overlooked that new option. I just found it in Preferences | Colors,
an area I had not explored in V2.6.0-rc2. It's useful but, unlike CQ Only,
it doesn't suppress all the Tx1, 2, and 3 messages. So on an active band,
the left window overflows on nearly every cycle.

Also, it treats RRR like Tx1, 2, and 3, not like RR73. I suppose that's in
keeping with the notional difference between RR73 and RRR, but most people
seem to choose one or the other and use it all the time. Those who choose
RRR won't be highlighted.

I'd still like to be able to suppress Tx1,2,3 on the left while displaying
Tx4,5,6.

Thanks & 73,

/Rick N6XI

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 4:05 AM Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...>
wrote:

Could/should there be an option to list Tx5 and 4 messages on the left,
as well as Tx6, i.e. all the "fair game" that one might want to call?

Rick,

Have you checked how the new feature in 2.6.0 behaves in that respect?
Release notes states:
- Add optional highlighting of messages containing RR73 or 73

73, Reino OH3mA

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Reino Talarmo

Hi Rick,
I think that you need to have the CQ only selected on the left of the command row.
73, Reino OH3mA

wrote:

Could/should there be an option to list Tx5 and 4 messages on the
left,
as well as Tx6, i.e. all the "fair game" that one might want to call?

Rick,

Have you checked how the new feature in 2.6.0 behaves in that respect?
Release notes states:
- Add optional highlighting of messages containing RR73 or 73

73, Reino OH3mA

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Rick Tavan

That's my point, Reino. "CQ Only" suppresses 73 and RR73 messages,
regardless of the new setting to Highlight Also 73 and RR73. I would like
to see a left-side display of all messages that imply availability for a
new caller. These are Tx4, 5, and 6 (RR73/RRR, 73, and CQ). This would
suppress Tx1, 2, and 3 (call a station, send a report, ack and send a
report) which represent a QSO in progress ("Don't call me now; I won't
respond.").

73,

/Rick N6XI