locked 10M (28.145MHz, JT9-G Fast) Meteor Scatter 2022 #JT9

VP9NO Dom

Hi all WSJTX (USA East coastal) Hams/OPs

I'm making a thread to organize, or at least gauge interest for Meteor Scatter on 10M over the next two days during the Perseids Meteor Shower.
In 2020/2021 I attempted operating this mode with another USA East Coast (800-1200miles away) ham with some success and confirmed contact via pings, with the absence of Tropo due it being late at night with no other obvious propagation, and the short but occasionally strong signals received by both parties.

If anyone wishes to work VP9/ Bermuda and each other across the East coastal USA, let me know here and also check in on PingJockey between 1100:0400Z on the nights of the 10th, 11th, 12th and possibly the 13th if there are enough meteors still reported. If EU or other region hams would like to work, feel free to do so as well in similar conditions to see how it goes.

I recommend a 3 element 10M yagi at 100W+ for JT9-G Fast, as I am only able to use a dipole (G5RV Jr) at 65-75W, but was sufficient for my previous Perseid tests over the past 2 years.
Works the same was as FT8, but you will need to override WSJTX with the Microwave VHF feature enabled, and a custom band/mode entry for 28.145MHz (used in 2020 and by my attempts since). JT9-G Fast was chosen as it is the fastest but still (We assume) FCC compliant mode on 10M (1200 baud). Anyone on WSJTX 2.2.2 or later should be able to operate this mode as "unintended" on 'HF', but please let me know if there is an issue for newer WSJTX versions

See this thread for reference!
https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topic/meteor_scatter_10m/75950797

Sincerely,
Dom/VP9NO

Ken G0ORH

Hi Dom
Yep, I’ll be QRV, I’m all set for JT9 G mode with 3el steppir beam.
I’ve had a sked with a 4x and we both made the trip hi.
Will set the alarm up.
Cheers
Ken.. G0ORH

On 11 Aug 2022, at 11:55, VP9NO Dom <sunday.weaver@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ken,
Very good to hear!
When should we sked specifically, and do you know of any other operators who may wish to join in?
I am not sure if meteor scatter will cover the distance between the UK and Bermuda, as it seems to be 2x what is generally quoted online (2500KM)
I will be monitoring Pingjockey chats and this forum though

Ken G0ORH

Hi Dom
Yes, the distance is far from good to get a ping !
I was QRV 28.145 / 260 early this morning and heard no pings.
At about 04:30 I looked at MSK144 on pskreporter and looked like the whole of EU was active from 22:00 hrs local time.
So tonight my local time I will switch modes to msk144 RX/TX 28.243 for a hour then switch mode again to JT9 28.145 fast G mode.

But msk144 activity was very high here!
I’m note sure, but I dont think NA can use msk144 mode!!!!!

Cheers

Ken.. G0ORH

Like it’s owner, this email is covid free!