locked Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000 #Yaesu


Juergen DL4YCD
 

Hi all,
there is a known bug in 2.5.4 when using FTDX-3000. FTDX-3000 cannot be selected, as its not working. So I used FTDX5000 where WSJTX workes fine with that radio, except .. I have to push RX-button whenever I change bands in WSJTX. When using FTDX-1200 its quite different. RX is not blinking but VFO-B-button (right corner) has to be pressed. So I used FTDX-5000-selection.

Now I installed 2.6.0-rc2 and hoped that the bug is fixed. Now FTDX-3000 can be selected without an error but .. now its the same as FTDX-1200. When changing bands, VFO-B-button has to be pressed. But fortunately, the FTDX-5000-selection is working fine now. The RX-button must NOT be pressed when changing bands. That are the settings also useful with FTDX-3000. Maybe you can check this, so that the FTDX-3000-selection also works fine.
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Michael Black
 

New hamlib for installation directions
#1 Shut down WSJTX/JTDX
#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX/JTDX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.
If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in \WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll
Linux/Unix/Mac users need to compile the latest tar file from http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/\Note: If compiling on Unix-like systems please uninstall any Hamlib package you have before installing the new build
#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.
If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk

If you still have the problem
Please place this file as described belowhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/t52ngcalsgnpm8m/wsjtx_log_config.ini?dl=0
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\WSJT-X The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be in the same location For Linux put it in   ~/.config The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be here: ~/.local/share/WSJT-X
For MacOS put it in /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences Restart WSJT-X and duplicate the problem.Shut down WSJT-X
Then send me the WSJT-X_RigControl.log file
Mike W9MDB

On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 04:06:45 AM CDT, Juergen DL4YCD <dl4ycd@...> wrote:

Hi all,
there is a known bug in 2.5.4 when using FTDX-3000. FTDX-3000 cannot be selected, as its not working. So I used FTDX5000 where WSJTX workes fine with that radio, except .. I have to push RX-button whenever I change bands in WSJTX. When using FTDX-1200 its quite different. RX is not blinking but VFO-B-button (right corner) has to be pressed. So I used FTDX-5000-selection.

Now I installed 2.6.0-rc2 and hoped that the bug is fixed. Now FTDX-3000 can be selected without an error but .. now its the same as FTDX-1200. When changing bands, VFO-B-button has to be pressed. But fortunately, the FTDX-5000-selection is working fine now. The RX-button must NOT be pressed when changing bands. That are the settings also useful with FTDX-3000. Maybe you can check this, so that the FTDX-3000-selection also works fine.
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Juergen DL4YCD
 

Hello Mike,
unfortunately problem is stimm there. So I did a test:
Settings FTDX5000
17m active, change to 15m and then change to 30m .... without any problem
Change setting to FTDX3000
After the change the VFO-B button is immediately ON (also seen on the screen)
press VFO-B-button to OFF and change from 30m to 20m and VFO-B-button is ON again
--> end of test
--> save WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log
--> remove test-ini (save for later use)
Hm .. I think I'm not allowed to upload files as there is no option. I've send it to your email from QRZ.COM ....
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Eugene Morgan
 

I'm using 2.5.4 with a FTDX-3000 on Windows 10 and it has worked perfectly. I did have to update the hamlib but after I did that it worked just fine including the split function. I must admit that I have not upgraded to the latest version of WSJT-X

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juergen DL4YCD
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 3:07 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000 #Yaesu

Hi all,
there is a known bug in 2.5.4 when using FTDX-3000. FTDX-3000 cannot be selected, as its not working. So I used FTDX5000 where WSJTX workes fine with that radio, except .. I have to push RX-button whenever I change bands in WSJTX. When using FTDX-1200 its quite different. RX is not blinking but VFO-B-button (right corner) has to be pressed. So I used FTDX-5000-selection.

Now I installed 2.6.0-rc2 and hoped that the bug is fixed. Now FTDX-3000 can be selected without an error but .. now its the same as FTDX-1200. When changing bands, VFO-B-button has to be pressed. But fortunately, the FTDX-5000-selection is working fine now. The RX-button must NOT be pressed when changing bands. That are the settings also useful with FTDX-3000. Maybe you can check this, so that the FTDX-3000-selection also works fine.
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Juergen DL4YCD
 

Hello Eugene,
that sounds very strange, as I was using the same version and had that described problem, also after download of the hamlib. And before I opened that topic, I've asked another om, found in internet, who gaves instructions in setup the FTDX3000. He confirmed the same problem and he went back to an older version (before 2.5.4). But that could not be the solution :-)) So I will wait what Mike finds out.
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Eugene Morgan
 

I agree that's why I spoke up. FYI: I'm using the SignalLink as my radio interface. My cat control is via an actual serial port, not a USB port. I installed a dual serial card in my computer when I built it.

Gene - WB7RLX

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juergen DL4YCD
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 8:51 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

Hello Eugene,
that sounds very strange, as I was using the same version and had that described problem, also after download of the hamlib. And before I opened that topic, I've asked another om, found in internet, who gaves instructions in setup the FTDX3000. He confirmed the same problem and he went back to an older version (before 2.5.4). But that could not be the solution :-)) So I will wait what Mike finds out.
73
Juergen - DL4YCD


Juergen DL4YCD
 

aha .. I'm using the internal soundcard from the FTDX3000 which is USB .... so thats quite different.


Eugene Morgan
 

I decided to use the SignalLink given that I already owned it due to my previous rig (FT-950 and FT-857) and it allows me to control certain things with knobs on the SignalLink, which I also like.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juergen DL4YCD
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:18 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

aha .. I'm using the internal soundcard from the FTDX3000 which is USB .... so thats quite different.


Gilbert Baron
 

If your radio has an internal sound card that is almost always the way to go.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eugene Morgan
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 11:00 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

I decided to use the SignalLink given that I already owned it due to my previous rig (FT-950 and FT-857) and it allows me to control certain things with knobs on the SignalLink, which I also like.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juergen DL4YCD
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:18 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

aha .. I'm using the internal soundcard from the FTDX3000 which is USB .... so thats quite different.













--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop


ky4ct@...
 

Eugene,

I just wish wsjt-x would stop assuming it's the only thing connected to my radio, explicitly, and stop throwing exceptions and disconnecting from my radio when it receives something it wasn't expecting. 2.5.4 apparently has lots of bugs concerning cat, as I can't upgrade past 2.5.0 and that version even on occasion decides it's not connected to the radio anymore. There's no need to poll a modern Yaesu rig.


Eugene Morgan
 

At the risk of starting an argument, which I don't want to do, I would offer a different perspective. I think that decision would depend on your requirements and individual situation. I like having the RX and TX controls on the Signal Link, it allows a level of control (fine tuning) that you don't always have on some rigs which often have to be controlled through menu options in the radio or fussing with the sound setting in Windows. This is especially so if your using your radio for CW and other digital modes outside of WSJT-X.

Having done it both ways I didn't see any difference in actual results over the course of several years. I doubt that the operator at the far end of the QSO could tell if you're using an internal or external sound card. What's most important, regardless of the digital interface you choose, is to make sure you have things adjusted properly and follow a best practice approach to operating.

Gene - WB7RLX

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gilbert Baron
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 10:27 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

If your radio has an internal sound card that is almost always the way to go.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb


-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eugene Morgan
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 11:00 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

I decided to use the SignalLink given that I already owned it due to my previous rig (FT-950 and FT-857) and it allows me to control certain things with knobs on the SignalLink, which I also like.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juergen DL4YCD
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:18 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

aha .. I'm using the internal soundcard from the FTDX3000 which is USB .... so thats quite different.













--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop


Eugene Morgan
 

I have found that working with serially connected devices, that include USB devices, has always been a programming challenge. This is especially so I believe when one has to also deal with the vagrancies of Common Mode Current that can sometimes affect any external device connected to your radio and computer. I've found that by following a best practices approach to minimizing CMC has been helpful in minimizing theses seemly random interruptions to communications between devices in the ham shack.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of ky4ct@...
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:19 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

Eugene,

I just wish wsjt-x would stop assuming it's the only thing connected to my radio, explicitly, and stop throwing exceptions and disconnecting from my radio when it receives something it wasn't expecting. 2.5.4 apparently has lots of bugs concerning cat, as I can't upgrade past 2.5.0 and that version even on occasion decides it's not connected to the radio anymore. There's no need to poll a modern Yaesu rig.


ky4ct@...
 

Eugene,

How can it be a programming challenge when there are libraries like boost::asio and Qt's QSerialPort and plenty of open-sourced and well-tested options to work with serial ports? As a software engineer, I find it sort of a dogmatic mindset that we're polling rigs that don't need to be polled in 2022 and that libraries have provided asynchronous access to serial ports for years, and more to the point that it worked fine a few revisions ago but now absolutely refuses to work on my rig that also utilizes other hardware that relies on the rs232 communications of my radio in a manner that isn't polling my rig. Why should wsjt-x care that my radio informs another device what its meter reading is? It should only care about what my radio says its frequency is, i.e., the IF command it requested. The Cat protocol on 2.5.4 and above is naive at best.

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/serial_port.html

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qserialport.html


Tim Dawson
 

That's one of the reasons that things like SignaLink can be better - they are transformer isolated....

On August 5, 2022 11:44:22 AM CDT, Eugene Morgan <ee_morgan@...> wrote:
I have found that working with serially connected devices, that include USB devices, has always been a programming challenge. This is especially so I believe when one has to also deal with the vagrancies of Common Mode Current that can sometimes affect any external device connected to your radio and computer. I've found that by following a best practices approach to minimizing CMC has been helpful in minimizing theses seemly random interruptions to communications between devices in the ham shack.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of ky4ct@...
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:19 AM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Bug in 2.5.4 when changing bands on Yaesu FTDX-3000

Eugene,

I just wish wsjt-x would stop assuming it's the only thing connected to my radio, explicitly, and stop throwing exceptions and disconnecting from my radio when it receives something it wasn't expecting. 2.5.4 apparently has lots of bugs concerning cat, as I can't upgrade past 2.5.0 and that version even on occasion decides it's not connected to the radio anymore. There's no need to poll a modern Yaesu rig.









--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


Tim Dawson
 

I have to agree . . . I ha e always found serial to be simple, easy, reliable, and not subject to all the proprietary driver ninsense that taints USB . . . No minimum OS for a driver, no getting abandoned in "the latest (and often not) greatest", just standards based functionality. I could take a modem from the 1980's and have it running on a current system in minutes, and spend zero time loading anything . . .

On August 5, 2022 11:56:41 AM CDT, ky4ct@... wrote:
Eugene,

How can it be a programming challenge when there are libraries like boost::asio and Qt's QSerialPort and plenty of open-sourced and well-tested options to work with serial ports? As a software engineer, I find it sort of a dogmatic mindset that we're polling rigs that don't need to be polled in 2022 and that libraries have provided asynchronous access to serial ports for years, and more to the point that it worked fine a few revisions ago but now absolutely refuses to work on my rig that also utilizes other hardware that relies on the rs232 communications of my radio in a manner that isn't polling my rig. Why should wsjt-x care that my radio informs another device what its meter reading is? It should only care about what my radio says its frequency is, i.e., the IF command it requested. The Cat protocol on 2.5.4 and above is naive at best.

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/serial_port.html

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qserialport.html









--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


Michael Black
 

It's not "dogmatic" -- just that Hamlib was no originally written to be async.  We've recently added some async operations for Icom rigs and should be able to move to using AI notifications for Yaeus rigs that support.  But AI is sparsely implemented with some rigs sending just freq and some freq/mode and I've seen any other status provided via the AI information.The rigs also don't necessarily send which VFO they are talking about either so this may not be as easy as it sounds to give positive control of the rig.
I agree that other commands should not cause problems and I thought we had that fixed but if you're having problems in your config apparently more work needs be done.
I assume you're dong some sort of serial port split.
Mike W9MDB

On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 11:58:13 AM CDT, ky4ct@... <ky4ct@...> wrote:

Eugene,

How can it be a programming challenge when there are libraries like boost::asio and Qt's QSerialPort and plenty of open-sourced and well-tested options to work with serial ports? As a software engineer, I find it sort of a dogmatic mindset that we're polling rigs that don't need to be polled in 2022 and that libraries have provided asynchronous access to serial ports for years, and more to the point that it worked fine a few revisions ago but now absolutely refuses to work on my rig that also utilizes other hardware that relies on the rs232 communications of my radio in a manner that isn't polling my rig. Why should wsjt-x care that my radio informs another device what its meter reading is? It should only care about what my radio says its frequency is, i.e., the IF command it requested. The Cat protocol on 2.5.4 and above is naive at best.

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/serial_port.html

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qserialport.html


ky4ct@...
 

Michael,

on modern yaesu rigs there's two commands that are 'information'

IF (information)
and
OI (opposite band information)

IF is sent when VFO-A is tuned, and OI is sent when VFO-B is tuned.

Also, on dual receiver rigs like the 101 series, just because a VFO is tuned does not mean the TX frequency has changed, as it's independent of selecting a VFO.

The AI command is on every rig in Yaesu's product line that supports CAT, from the lowly FT-891 to the new FTDX-710 and as far back as any yeasu cat protocol that I've looked (FT-450D).

If it's not 'dogmatic' it's at best naive. It's not a 'NEW' bit of technology at all.


ky4ct@...
 

Yeasu FTDX101MP
Flex PowerGenius XL (via CAT)
Flex TunerGenius (via CAT)

The tuner genius requires CAT to operate with all of its features. otherwise, it's just a tuning solution per band.

Serial ports have been virtualized for quite a while, so yes Sir, I am splitting ports (most accurately not locking the virtual file when it's opened).


ky4ct@...
 

Michael,

Also, asynchronous serial libraries have been around since at least 2008.

boost::aisio added serial ports with 1.36
Version 1.36.0

August 14th, 2008 12:00 GMT

Qt felt it needed to add QSerialPort to Qt 5 and as an add-on to Qt 4.

It's not new, either.


Juergen DL4YCD
 

Hello folks,
if you want to discuss CAT etc. please open a new thread. I've opened this thread because I wanted to report a bug and hopefully get a solution. Otherwise this thread gets too confusing.
tnx
Juergen - DL4YCD