locked Ic-706 ptt not working #WSJTX_config

Scott Noack

I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.

However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Mike Chace-Ortiz

Hello OM

I’m guessing it doesn’t change frequency when you select a different band in WSJT-X?

SignaLink doesn’t provide CAT control, only audio, hence no PTT.

73
—mco
AB1TZ

On Aug 3, 2022, at 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:

I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.

However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Tim Dawson

Yup . . . need a serial cable (typically) for CAT along with the Signalink. (I run my FT1000MP-MKV and FT847 Yaesus that way flawlessly . . . ) WSJTX on the '1000, and SatTrack on the '847 (as far as digital modes . . .)

On August 3, 2022 8:57:46 PM CDT, Mike Chace-Ortiz <mchaceortiz@...> wrote:
Hello OM

I’m guessing it doesn’t change frequency when you select a different band in WSJT-X?

SignaLink doesn’t provide CAT control, only audio, hence no PTT.

73
—mco
AB1TZ

On Aug 3, 2022, at 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:

I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.

However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Signalink is a USB soundcard - it has not CAT capability.
You will need a separate USB to CI-V cable or USB to serial
cable with the Icom CT-17 CI-V converter for CAT.

That said, the IC-706 does not have the capability of switching
between TX/RX by CAT/CI-V Command. You will need to turn on the
PTT function in your SignaLink and set WSJTX for VOX. See the
SignaLink documentation.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:
I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Scott Noack

Yes I use USB to CI-V and I’m able to change modes / bands via WSJTX. I
also use SignaLink with SLCAB131 and receive just fine.

I moved SignaLink to different port, made sure laptop is using default
sound card and only WSJTX uses SignaLink bus.

PTT now triggers transmit on IC706. However I get no output power. If I
disconnect usb/CIV and put rig in FM and hit mic I’m 100w swr 1.2.

So I still have some config issue where even though WSJTX in in tx mode,
rig in Tx mode power is 0 watts.

PS I use same laptop with xiegu g90 and another SignaLink device and don’t
have this issue so not laptop or WAJTX software (I’m running v2.5.4).

Starbucks gift card to first person to help solve why tx under wsjtx
control is zero watts?!?

Thx

Scott / KN6UTO

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:
I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and
can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.

However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Don Roden

Make sure the jumpers in the SignaLink are correct for a 706

Make sure the Signalink ptt connector to the 706 is on the correct pin.

When you transmit, does the SignaLink ptt led turn on ? If not, increase audio levels from the computer and turn up the transmit level to 12 oclock on the front of the SignaLink. The SignaLink ptt led must turn on before it can send ptt to the 706. W4DNR

On 2022-08-03 8:57 pm, Mike Chace-Ortiz wrote:

Hello OM
I'm guessing it doesn't change frequency when you select a different band in WSJT-X?
SignaLink doesn't provide CAT control, only audio, hence no PTT.
73
--mco
AB1TZ

On Aug 3, 2022, at 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:
I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Michael Black

How is your SignaLink wired for the IC-706?  Did you get a already-built plugin or wire it youself?
PTT Transmit indicates the SignaLink is getting audio.  Lack of power in the rig indicates audio not getting to the plug on the IC-706 so wiring is suspect.
Mike W9MDB

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote:
I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and
can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.

However in wsjtx ptt doesn’t work and I can’t transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong?  See pics.

Don Roden

I dont need Starbucks, but you need a battery powered speaker to listen to the audio input pin on your rig. It's "probably" not there or on the wrong pin. W4DNR
On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Tim Dawson

I would wager that either the audio is not outputting at the level you think it is, or that the '706 is not configured to listen to the correct input . . . (I know my Yaesu's an be odd this way . . .).

So, verify, somehow, that audio *is* present at the connector going to the '706, and follow the issue accordingly. If nothing, dig in the PC, and if it is present (and at an appropriate level), dig into the rig.

Tigertronics also might be worth a call, since they support this rig, and may have some insights.

(This link will take you to thier setup notes as well: https://www.tigertronics.com/sl_wirebm.htm Note that the '706, 706MK2, and '706MK2G have some differences, and without digging back into the groups.io web pages, I don't have your postings of your specific config handy.)

Oh, and I do see a note at Tigertronics for the '706MK2G, that "Menu #29 muat be set to 1200" . . . not sure if that applies here or not. If all else fails, call them - Inhave found them to be very helpful!

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706 original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Earl Needham

I'd put the 706 in FM and tune to an unused frequency at very low power,
maybe even on a dummy load, and see if I could hear the tones on an HT.

Vy 7 3
Earl
KD5XB

e e

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just
fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Make sure the 13 pin DIN plug is connected properly. The 13 pin
plug has a design flaw that allows it to to be inserted "upside
down" (rotated 180 degrees) - pin 13 drops into the keyway and
the other 12 pins all fit the sockets but, of course, TX audio
is not connected properly.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just
fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Scott Noack

Thx for all the input. I gotta a lot of experimenting to see if I can
isolate the issue.

Plan for today:

1) try different SignaLink just in case I have bad one (unlikely)

2) try mic RJ45 connector because 13pin din accessory port might be bad and
I know Hand mic and ptt works

3) try digiplan app

4) I already tried digi rig but I can’t establish a connection with rig.

I’m currently using CIV and vox, and 13pin accsoory port.

Unlike my xiegu g90 the original IC706 doesn’t have a setting to select mic
or accessory input - it’s both! I don’t know how they mix the two but it is
a know limitation with the original 706

Here is official feedback from SignaLink,

“ If you're using CIV/CAT control and you set the PTT Method to anything
other than VOX, then this will cause the exact symptoms that you have. If
you're not running CIV/CAT control then this doesn't apply.

Also, please be sure to try FLdigi or Digipan as I mentioned. We have seen
WSJT-X do something weird with the audio that can cause the issue you have
now.”

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive
just
fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Don Roden

CIV "usually" selects the front microphone, so if you have everything else correct, CIV will keep your audio going to the ACC from ever getting to the rig. ( don't select CIV or CAT in the software ) W4DNR

On August 4, 2022 1:19:43 PM CDT, Don Roden <donroden@...> wrote: I dont need Starbucks, but you need a battery powered speaker to

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive just

fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Scott Noack

I found the issue! It was my SignaLink which wasn’t passing mic. My second
unit worked perfectly. I’ll deal with bad SignaLink later.

I’m getting swr 1.2 tuned with my MFJ yet managed to fry my 1:49 unun. It
overheated and just stopped working. Guess that is one way of confirming
your unit is transmitting. Did make a new contact. LOL. Working on buying a
better quality UnUn or just backing off power.

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive
just

fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Tim Dawson

Did you move the jumper block between them? If not, the first is likely either incorrect, or has a bad jumper . . .

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM, snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive
just

fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr 1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Binder69

Hi,

I am working on my ic-706mkiig.  I got it to work on 20m.  I have no out
put on 40m.  My set up uses a CIV and a 13pin connected to the
signalink.  I using a Evolve III Maestro Laptop ($60) running windows
10, wsjtx, Gridtracker and DXKeeper.

On 20m, I turn the TX and RX to the middle.  It started to work and one
contact.

Under config, my baud rate is 19200 in wsjtx.  706 - 30 CI-V (Hold the
Lock down and turn on the unit), I put it to 19200 as well.   Check the
com port.  My test botton turned Green.

I call Signalink, however, support is only M-W-F from 1pm to 5pm (541)
862-2639.

The woman who answer the phone was very knowledgeable.  Check the
Jumpers. They have a preset Jumpers (SLCAB13I) ($10 plus $4 shipping)
that works with my unit, however it is not necessary if Jumpers wires
are correct.  Jumpers are 24 gauge solid wire.

https://www.tigertronics.com/

https://www.tigertronics.com/index.htm

http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/706/default.aspx

I was told to read the Notes in the Index under ICOM 706 - SLUSB13I  I
need to do Item #30 on the 706  "30 VSEND". (Hold the Lock down and turn
on the unit)

Also, I talked to Bruce at Sultantronics.com.  He stated that I need to
check the power output with a meter on RTTY.  My unit does not register
power on 40m and 20m on SSB.  Also, he stated that I need to use a dummy
loads to get a correct reading, not my G5RV.

He suggested to do a Master Reset.  On my 706, you press the Up Arrow
and the Down Arrow and turn on the unit.  This will bring every thing
back to factory settings, and clear all my settings. :-(

Unfortunately, I had to read the manual.

Thank you for the group and the conversation.   This group has helped my
alot and I wanted to give back.

Let me know it I won the Starbuck Card.

73

Art

W6ART

On 2022-08-03 8:57 PM,snoack321@... wrote: I have IC706
original connected via SignaLink and programming cable and can receive
just
fine on 20M/FT8. I can use mic in FM to transit 100w/swr
1.2.
However in wsjtx ptt doesn't work and I can't transmit. What setup on
rig or wsjtx is wrong? See pics.

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

Tim's note about Menu 29 DEFINITELY applies when operating FTx modes using WSJT. That is the internal software switch that changes the transmit input pin on either the 13 pin DIN or 6 pin mini-DIN connector between analog audio tones(1200) and digital FSK voltage (9600). Also remember that WSJT will only work with the radio set to Upper SideBand, not FM! You can set the IC706 radio to FM so you can listen on a portable or mobile and verify that you do have audio, but nobody else listening on 2M FM should be answering you.
HISTORY TIME: Back in the 1980s when the IC706 radio was being designed, high-speed digital packet networks used 9600 baud DFM on 2M or UHF. It was similar to how some hams still send RTTY signals using FSK DC voltage levels into the radio instead of analog AFSK tones.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

Reino Talarmo

HISTORY TIME: Back in the 1980s when the IC706 radio was being designed, high-speed digital packet networks used 9600 baud DFM on 2M or UHF. It was similar to how some hams still send RTTY signals using FSK DC voltage levels into the radio instead of analog AFSK tones.
Hi,
Just, if somebody wants to know the modern usage of the same method for DRM (Digital Mobile Radio). This time a four level frequency modulation.

73, Reino OH3mA

Patrick

OK, you said you have no output on the 40m band, what about the other bands?

What OS are you running? I skimmed through all the posts but I didn't see that.

I see you said you worked one contact on 20M, that suggests a proper configuration but it is possible you're not on USB on 40M.

I have a 706MKIIG, I do know that the 706 doesn't care what mode you're in, it'll transmit whatever you put to it on whatever mode you want unlike me 857 which requires being in a digital mode to take it from the rear input.
As such when I work anything via voice I have to disconnect my DataLink to get rid of my attenuated audio. Keeping it plugged in attenuates my voice.

Did you turn the 706 off, hold LOCK then turn the radio on and confirm your com data rate on option 35?
Also confirm your CI-V address on 34. Default is 58H
Because of the CI-V address I have to use FLRig to control my radio as most applications do not support the CI-V applications, at least from what I've found.

Basically my setup is this...
Option 34 - 58H
Option 35 - 19200
FLRig.....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3r7kh5pzi6ecx7/Screenshot%20from%202022-08-05%2011-50-27.png?dl=0

WSJT-X....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5q04igia7ga55t/Screenshot%20from%202022-08-05%2011-53-14.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn56yhsg2v65mid/Screenshot%20from%202022-08-05%2011-53-54.png?dl=0

If you were able to get a signal through on 20M then you should on all the other bands as well.

I would (if you can) plug into a dummy load, have your power set to low and make sure there is a meter between your dummy load and your radio so you can see if a signal is being generated.
While on USB or LSB your needle won't swing unless there is audio being sent.
You could even set your RF Power (Q1) 2 or so if the dummy load can handle it to see the needle swing more.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Earl Needham

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH <
wa8nvw@...> wrote:

Also remember that WSJT will only work with the radio set to Upper
SideBand, not FM! You can set the IC706 radio to FM so you can listen on a
portable or mobile and verify that you do have audio, but nobody else
listening on 2M FM should be answering you.

Absolutely. I suggested FM solely to make sure there was audio going to
the radio. Be sure you don't use your local repeater input for this! 😜

Vy 7 3
Earl
KD5XB

e e